• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When it comes to Heart Pieces

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
So, as we know, Heart Pieces are items that can help extend your life, and when you get four (five if you’re playing Twilight Princess), you get a new heart to your life meter. What I wanted to know is what do you do when it comes to these items? Do you avoid them, collect them all, or does it depend? For me, I’m not much of a completionist, and Zelda games are generally really easy when it comes to combat, so I mostly avoid them. When it comes to games, I do all I can without a guide on a first play through, and on the second play through, if I want to go for 100 percent and can’t find all the collectibles or do every side quest, I look it up. But in Zelda, Heart Pieces aren’t a priority for me and I don’t care much about collecting them (Twilight Princess and Majora’s Mask being the one exception to this rule). What about you? What do you do when it comes to Heart Pieces?

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Usually what I do is if I happen to see one (or a puzzle in general) along my path, I'll go and grab it. I won't go hunting across Hyrule Field to find them and if I'm intent on getting somewhere I won't stop to grab one. It just depends on whether I'm doing something at that moment. The only exception to this is if I need to do a boss battle and are either
A. Dying a lot because I don't have many hearts
or B. Trying to procrastinate and have an excuse not to do the boss battle
That being said, if I begin a puzzle or mission to get a heart piece I will not stop until I obtain it, no matter how inconvenient it becomes. Perhaps that explains why I avoid going after them in the first place :shrugs:

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It’s a nice and useful collectible that I enjoy finding. I’ll generally try to get as many as possible (I tend to somewhat comb through the games as I go along and end up finding most of them on my own). If I enjoy the game and found a lot, I’ll look at a guide to finish off the last container, like in SS and OoT. In TP, they seemed a bit more hidden and I was never set on collecting them. It really depends on how hidden they are in each game.

I love being thorough, especially in a first playthrough when I still haven't learned the whereabouts of stuff. I'll always go out of my way to scour for secrets, so ideally, yeah I'd like to find as many heart pieces/heart containers as possible. If I don't find all of them, I'll probably proceed into the endgame/final boss with whatever I did manage, but I would like my first or "main" file to eventually get all the heart pieces if I am able to do so. I may eventually turn to look them up if I'm stumped, but I like coming across them organically--theres a special giddy moment of stumbling across a heart piece without knowing one would be there.

With PH and ALttP, my two most replayed Zelda game, I kind of make it a goal on all my revisits to acquire every heart piece/container because I just know where they are and it satisfies me to collect them every time. But other games like the Wind Waker, I've only had the max amount of health once--being my most recent playthrough on WWHD. Those final elusive pieces are still kind of being unaccounted for in my memory, so I'd probably have to hunt for them in future playthroughs until I remember where they all are...

But health in Zelda for me is more like, I do it for cosmetics? There is something unexplainably satisfying about having two full rows of hearts.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
First time playing I try to get to know all the secrets and search everything. If I don't find everything I do it after the game is finished so I can focus on that. The sec or more time after replaying I try to get them before going to the final boss if I remember everything from the first time

MW7

I try to collect all of them at least once. After multiple playthroughs I tend to skip the things I don't like doing like fishing in Ocarina of Time or the skull kid ocarina game. The only game that I always beat 100% is Majora's Mask.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
First time playing I try to get to know all the secrets and search everything. If I don't find everything I do it after the game is finished so I can focus on that. The sec or more time after replaying I try to get them before going to the final boss if I remember everything from the first time
I know some people are different, but does it ever get boring searching everywhere, and still not knowing where that last piece is? Have you ever resulted to a guide?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I know some people are different, but does it ever get boring searching everywhere, and still not knowing where that last piece is? Have you ever resulted to a guide?
Oh yes, I did result a guide. Especially when I searched literally everywhere and still not find it. It's not only boring but annoyed the crap out of me. Especially crossing the whole map over and over and over again

Requiem Of Spirit

It's a secret to everybody...
I try to get as many as I find on my own while playing through the game, and if I see a heart piece I can't get early in the game I try to remember where it was so I can come back for it later when I have more equipment.
That said I rarely go through the trouble of collecting absolutely all the heart pieces (unless I'm going for 100% completion), I just try to collect enough to not have to worry about lives too much.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't like leaving any stone unturned or any item left sitting around. Whenever I see something, I don't want to move on until I have it. Only very occasionally will I do stuff like 3 heart challenges. If I'm not doing that I will absolutely try to get every single one. Like Frax said, it's just more satisfying that way.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
I don't like leaving any stone unturned or any item left sitting around. Whenever I see something, I don't want to move on until I have it. Only very occasionally will I do stuff like 3 heart challenges. If I'm not doing that I will absolutely try to get every single one. Like Frax said, it's just more satisfying that way.
Well yeah, I defiantly will collect one if I know where it is or if I find it fun, but if I have to search all around, not knowing where it is, that’s pretty annoying. In TP and MM, I collected them all because in TP, there’s a fortune teller that can help you, and in MM, most are from sidequests, and I really liked most sidequests from MM. For me, if I’m not enjoying collecting something or doing something optional, I’m not doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom