• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros When is it likely for Nintendo to cut online support for Smash?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
I've been thinking about this for a while since online was cut from Super Mario Maker 2, a game that came out after Ultimate. I don't know why Nintendo felt the need to shut it down considering it was (I've heard) doing fairly well at the time, but it makes me worry even more when I think about what might happen to Smash sometime soon.
so I'm just wondering, does anyone have any predictions or assumptions about how Nintendo might treat smash after the final dlc character drops and it's officially out of development? I'd hoped they'd plan on keeping the online up for longer than they did with mario maker but if they no longer consider it profitable then I don't know what they'll be feeling... Would be one hell of a shame if it were to shut down anytime in the next couple years honestly.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Nintendo cut the online for Mario Maker 1, not 2. They’ll probably keep the Ultimate online running for long after even the next Smash game. The main reason they cut the online for Mario Maker 1 was because 2 is essentially the same thing and 1 was getting somewhat old/decreasing in player base.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
yeah I got stumped for a moment when you said mario maker 2
let's see, we're over 4 years out when the wii u was discontinued and I'm pretty sure online is still going for smash on that and 3ds, and the switch has been a runaway success w/ a big install base so I'm sure it'll outlive smash wii u's online

so honestly, I think maybe 4 or 5 years minimum into the next smash game's lifecycle would be when we might expect ultimate's online to go down, and who the heck knows when the next smash will even be a thing, so I wouldn't worry about ultimate being dropped anytime soon

Fig

The Altruist
Considering Smash is one of the consistent console sellers, chances are the online will still stay around. You could even play Smash 4 (3DS) and 5 (Wii U) online right now since the servers are still up. Those servers may close at around 2024 or later when Nintendo does shut down the servers for the 3DS and Wii U but in terms of Ultimate, its online will stay up until the next Smash game or at least until half way into the next console.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Thanks for the info everyone, I'd been really worried about it so I'm happy to hear it's not going anywhere.
A couple months ago someone over on Instagram was complaining about how awful the shutdown of mario maker 2 was (I guess they were misinformed) and I had asked in the comments what this meant for smash, to which a couple people said "it'll shut down after the last fighter probably". Just a reminder that I shouldn't always trust people in random comment sections lol.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
to which a couple people said "it'll shut down after the last fighter probably". Just a reminder that I shouldn't always trust people in random comment sections lol.
pfft what the heck, yeah they have no idea what they're talking about, ultimate will still being going well into the next system's life I assure you

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
pfft what the heck, yeah they have no idea what they're talking about, ultimate will still being going well into the next system's life I assure you
They might have been trolls or something, hard to tell because they said it so casually without any indication of it being a joke. And people were getting really worked up about Mario Maker too, maybe they were all being sarcastic and it just went over my head lol

Fig

The Altruist
Thanks for the info everyone, I'd been really worried about it so I'm happy to hear it's not going anywhere.
A couple months ago someone over on Instagram was complaining about how awful the shutdown of mario maker 2 was (I guess they were misinformed) and I had asked in the comments what this meant for smash, to which a couple people said "it'll shut down after the last fighter probably". Just a reminder that I shouldn't always trust people in random comment sections lol.
I apologize if I sound condescending, but usually Instagram is where misinformation occurs when it comes to news. It's always better to double check if that's the case whether with a google such or following credible news outlets within the gaming industry. Another reminder is that Nintendo like other companies extend the life of their consoles even after the current one is out. That's why you can still buy and play games online on a 2011 handheld like the 3DS and a 2012 console like the Wii U. The Wii's servers were barely shut down 7 years ago, 8 years after the initial release of the console. If we are going by those patterns, chances are the Switch's servers will close in 2025 assuming there's a new system but judging on the Switch's success, that's less likely as we continue to advance in time.

Mario Marker 1 shutdown

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The Wii's servers were barely shut down 7 years ago, 8 years after the initial release of the console. If we are going by those patterns, chances are the Switch's servers will close in 2025 assuming there's a new system but judging on the Switch's success, that's less likely as we continue to advance in time.

Mario Marker 1 shutdown

the wii was a bit of an exception b/c it's servers were liscenced through gamespy, and once gamespy went under, it took the wii and dsi online w/ it

the online servers in the systems after are all by nintendo, so they can completely make the call for continuing them or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom