• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When Does a Console Become 'Retro'?

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay self explaining thread. Basically when do you consider a gaming console retro? I consider a console retro when it no longer has new games made for it meaning consoles like the original Xbox and the GBA retro. What about you?

Z

Zangetsu

I usually start to call a console retro after two generations passed it. For example: The Nintendo 64 just got called retro for me when the Wii came out, and the Gamecube will become retro when the next generation consoles come out.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
When it can be easily emulated on low-end modern computer systems with few flaws.

For instance, I'd consider the N64 and GBA (and all prior systems) to be retro because they can be emulated reliably, but the DS, GCN, and Wii to be modern because they're still too complex to emulate. With the Wiimote and Dual Screen thing, it will probably be complex for a LONG time with the current two. The GC is becoming retro, but it's not quite there yet. Kind of in limbo.

S

Skylar

I consider a console retro when everyone else starts calling it retro.

Just kidding… kinda…

I guess when it’s been out long enough that I don’t think about it much, there are no new games for it, and there’s at least two consoles that have come out since it.

CZG

When the majority of all the other games have reached a next 'level'.

Nowaydays, games seem to be 3D most of the time. Therefore I think the 16-bit era is retro. Most people that are unlike me have advanced to the new age. It will take a few more generations for a N64 to bcome retro in my opinion. Although the movement based gaming seems to be able to advance itself into the next era.

Modern games look 'better', at least technically speaking, but it's just a pimped version of an old concept, not good enough to push itself far enough from the roots. The 16-bit consoles did not make the 8-bit ones retro either. Some might argueu that the 16-bit computers made the Atari or Commodore computers into a 'past' thing, but I bet none of them saw nothing more than pong or games like that on these things. But a 32-bit Neo Geo could barely compete with some of the last generation Commodore 64 games. Space Harrier was one of those games that the NG just mimicked.

I have several criterias:

1)When it's on the Virtual Console/from the same era as a VC system
2)When at least ten years have passed since its debut
3)When internet didn't exist/apply to video games in such a major way (this one will eventually go away once XBox applies to the second one)

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Huh, I hadn't really thought about this one. See, the N64 and GC don't seem all that 'retro' to me, since I still play on them a lot... well, on GC versions anyhow (and no more GC games are made anymore)... So I guess that makes my main criteria the fact it has to be several years old, and the software is definitely outdated (not just by a year or two, but so old it can easily be emmulated, or the industry focus has well and truly moved on). For now though, I can safely say anything pre-2000 is retro, and anything post-2000 isn't. Though this boundary will probably be moving soon, and once we get full motion control properly intergrated, and also used in almost all consoles, only then will I consider the GC 'retro'
:P

hsb39

Why so logical?
I'd probably go for the "2 console generations ago" thing. Also when we can say "kids these days, don't know about *insert game*, no respect", that's a decent gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom