• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When Do You Plan To Move Out?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Moving out is definitely a sign of growing up and gaining that independence in my opinion and I'm on the verge of making such wide steps in life, so i thought I'd make a discussion regarding this topic.

People move out of their domestic households at many different ages and if many different reasons, one might move out to due to family problems, lack of space, maybe getting kicked out etc. Others may make that mature decision to move out to essentially gain that independence or move in with their significant other or maybe for University/College etc.

Of course this is more aimed at those who currently haven't moved out, but that doesn't mean others can't take part. If you have moved out, when and why did you do so?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I plan to move out when I feel that I'm ready. I know my parents are more than likely going to rush me to find a place of my own, but that's only going to make my decision even harder. As someone who depends on their parents a lot, it's going to be difficult to gain the independence that I want in the end. Currently, I don't have a definite date, be more of an estimate age range. I'd like to move out around the age of 18-22, and hopefully into a dorm room for college. I believe that's the best plan for me until I find my own place to call home.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Well, since my college is less than 2 miles away, I'm not leaving my house for a bandbox with no privacy :yes:

Dunno, Maybe in a year or so? Depends on whether or not I can get my dad to put wifi in his old house that we dont use anymore.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I moved out once when I was 18 and I moved back. I think I'll be looking to a permanent moving out at some point in the next year or two, when I feel able to I guess :) I definitely do want to move out again though. I miss the independence. I've found moving back home has meant sacrificing my adult life, to go back to being like a kid. I don't know. But at the moment, it's not really feasible. I think I'm most likely to move out if/when I return to uni, if one of my friends wanted to move into a place together, or if I was in a serious relationship with that being a logical step. There's no way I can afford to move out now; I can't afford to, especially not in London.

Last edited:

octorok74

TETTAC
When I can afford to move out. I want to know I can pay for the place I live otherwise there is no point to move out only to move back in and hope for a better try next time. It all takes planning.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'll be moving out as soon as I graduate. All of my sisters did. Where I live, there are not really a lot of post grad opportunities. I want to go to university, but there aren't any good ones nearby that offer the program I want to take. I'll have to move to Alberta to do what I want, but that's more of a long run type thing. I actually want to move to a city after highschool, so I can get used to the city life again. There's a music store in Kelowna that I want to work at to save up uni funds, so I'll need to move out shortly after I graduate.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I can't wait to move out. I don't mean that because I hate my mom or anything; I love my mom and I appreciate everything she does for me. I'm really excited to gain my independence. I clean the locker rooms at my gym, and last week my boss took me to the apartment he owns next door to do some work there too. It was a small place, pretty old, nothing grand. But being there made me really start thinking about getting a place of my own. Obviously that's not going to happen until I graduate, but it's still something to look forward to.

Four of the top five colleges I've been looking into are out of state (two in Massachusetts, one in California, and one in Maryland) and one is in-state (about an hour away). No matter where I go, I plan on rooming in a dorm. I need to have the opportunity to take care of myself and get my feet wet in the "real world" before I get a place of my own. Being able to handle my own finances is probably my number one necessity. I already do most of my own chores. Finances allowing, I don't plan on staying at my current house at all after I graduate high school. I'd like to get a small apartment and then later buy a mansion when I'm rich~

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Moving out is a huge waste of money in my opinion...provided it's done early. I don't think anyone should move out until after they complete college/university. Reason being you end up wasting tons of funds on room and board when it could easily be taken care of by your parents (assuming you have such luxuries, anyway). I see no reason to force yourself into spending more cash in separate housing/food fees. So, move out when you're done with schooling and when you're on two feet. You don't have to be walking, but don't move out unless you can fully take care of yourself.

All that said I plan to live in my parents' basement.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I was 16 years old when I moved away from home. I was severely bullied in school and was desperate to get away from it, so I talked my parents into letting me attend high school in a different town - this meant moving out and live on my own as taking the bus to a different town every day would be too time consuming. I was still just 14 when I presented the idea to them, and of course they were against it to begin with, but they mulled it over for a good six months or so before they sat me down and told me their conditions. My last year of living at home I had to prove I could be independent and responsible, which obviously I managed since they let me move out at 16.

So after I turned 16, I rented a basement room a few blocks away from the school. Since the government over here gives a certain amount in scholarship to teens living on their own while attending high school, I had enough money to balance a budget. My parents covered my rent (otherwise I would have had to take up a loan as well, and they would have spent a similar amount on me if I had stayed home and gone to school there), but everything else from groceries to school supplies to other essentials, I paid for myself. I took pride in my independence, and even when my parents offered to cover other things such as bus fares between the towns when I came home on weekends, I refused, because I was determined to manage it myself.

Moving out was really good for me, I got the break from the problems I had at school, I got to gain/learn independence on a step by step basis, as I didn't live more than 1-1 1/2 hours away from home the first year, then 4 hours away the second and third year. I think I got the better deal than teens who go from being used to depending on their parents for everything to suddenly having to fend for themselves with everything. I got to do it gradually, meaning I was never overwhelmed with any of it. By the time I was completely on my own two feet, I had everything under control :)

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I first moved out when I was 17. Had no money, working all the time and school meant no free time, though still managed to neck quite a lot of wine during those days, and lived with my friends for about a year or so before moving down to Cardiff with my boyfriend for a little while, and then we moved back up home here and have lived happily since.

I moved out simply because I had to get away from my family house. Love my brothers and my mam but cooped up in a small home with everyone, tensions tended to get a bit high and it was ruining our relationship, and it was just too loud and too much fighting for me. Ever since I moved out, I've gotten that bit more closer to everybody now there's no shouting of who used the last of the Shreddies but didn't tell anyone so no one bought more...

I think moving out is an extremely important thing to do, even for me. I did it very early and had no money or time, it was pretty horrible at times and lots of people might say that was useless, but, it was anything but useless. It teaches you responsibility, the importance of budget, how to manage all the things that need doing, and when you get your own place you tend to feel more prideful, and my home is a lot cleaner than my room of the family ever was. Cos that wasn't 'my house', but now it is 'my house', cleaning it everday! :P

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I haven't moved out yet, but my plan is to move out to either college or a convent in two years. I want to become a Dominican nun with an order that goes to Russia, but that can only happen if God calls me there! :> If I go to college first I want to go to Wyoming Catholic college.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have no idea. I haven't even gotten to that point of planning in my life. I really don't want to though. I am terrified of living alone. If I do move out, I want to live with someone. I don't care if it's a friend, someone special to me, or that one person that is very special to me, I just don't want to live alone. That's probably a bad thing.

masterSword2

Smile!
I'll be moving out when the time comes for me to go to college. Not sure where I'm gonna go or what I'm gonna do, but I still have 4 years to decide, so that's no big deal.

My initial reaction was to say that I'd move out right now if I had the money. After thinking about it though, I realized that doing so would be a mistake. First of all because it would only be a waste of money. My only motivation for moving out at this point is to have independence. I don't have a bad home life, I'd just be moving away for the freedom. At a time where I can't even drive myself the places I need to go, I realized moving out would only take away from my freedom, rather than add to it.

Secondly, moving out for college would be a much more controlled way to start off. Living in the dorms, I would basically have everywhere I needed to go be very close. Plus having a room mate that I could hopefully count on for a bit of help when needed is something I wouldn't have otherwise.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the day I'll be moving out, but there's no need to rush it. ^^

H

Hoju

The wife and I occupied my parents basement suite for about 5 years. We paid rent, bought our own groceries and supported ourselves etc..., so it was pretty much like moving out. A year ago we finally saved up for a down payment and bought a house. Now I'm officially moved out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom