• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When do you expect to see a Switch successor?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's the point tho. They're not concerned with having the latest and greatest tech, which I greatly applaud.

And while that's fine, it limits their consoles a lot. The Switch struggles to run anything somewhat intensive that even the previous generation of consoles managed to. Stuff like Outer Worlds, Doom 4 and Eternal, and Mortal Kombat 11 push the Switch to limits it really shouldn't be asked to hit given its limited hardware. Creativity in the face of limitations is great, but just once I'd like a Nintendo console that isn't operating at a perpetual handicap and entirely dependent on first party software.

They said the Switch is currently half-way through its lifespan, so 2025 would seem reasonable.

That happens to be Mario’s 40th anniversary too. It would be cool if they launched it with a 3D Mario game.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think that the Switch could last Nintendo a couple more years but it is hard to say. Now that the handheld and console has merged into one line I wonder what that does to the cycle going forward.

Given they've only just released the OLED model and the fact that the Switch is continuing to be so successful (people don't buy Nintendo consoles for power, they buy them for fun) I think that other publishers still have plenty reason to continue to support the console too.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
They said the Switch is currently half-way through its lifespan, so 2025 would seem reasonable.

That happens to be Mario’s 40th anniversary too. It would be cool if they launched it with a 3D Mario game.
I don't know if I can believe that since another 4 years sounds like way too long to continue w/ already dated hardware, though all the power to them if they can actually manage it

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd hope to see one announced by 2023. The Switch is selling well, but it isn't exactly a big deal when it comes to its internals. Like it or not, more intensive 3D games will just stop coming to the Switch if the technology gap between Nintendo's console and its competition doesn't close just a little bit.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
With Nintendo stressing that the switch is halfway though its life with it being 4 years old I guess we might have another 4 years, with Nintendo who knows they are really good at surprising us.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom