• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When Did You Awaken Your Skills In Zelda?

This question is aimed at the hardcore Zelda gamers on this fan base. But before I asked you it let me tell you my backstory on this: So the first Zelda game I played was Alttp the GBA port on my dad's Gmaeboy SP when I was like 6. The game was really fun, But I SUCKED! The farthest I had gotten was rescuing Princess Zelda. After that I would just run around Hyrule Castle with no idea what to do. Then one day my dad just got rid of his SP and Alttp. So I never saw the game again(until I emulated it). Next was when I got The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker. I remember getting it from Sears. The branch of Sears that also sells games. And I sucked so bad in that game to the farthest I got was getting the Hero's Clothes! Then I found that after you got the Hero's Clothes you had to go back to your treehouse to see Aryll and trigger the custscene where she falls into the woods so that you could get the Hero's Sword. I didn't start sucking again until I got to the first dungeon. The Forsaken Fortress (which I mispronounced the "Forken Fortress" at the time) was a friggin' nightmare for me. What irritated me the most was that you lose your sword. And I had a lot of trouble just getting the sword so seeing it fly out of my reach was too much for me to handle. My fist mistake was entering the wooden room before the last part before you get to room containing Aryll on the left side. The left side if that room has all of the rats and will knock your barrel over getting you caught by the Moblins. The next time I began to falter was in the Dragon Roost Caverns. I was fine up until the room where you have to use the water and the lava geyser to make a makeshift elevator. After I overcame that, I got to that room that was approaching the summit of the mountain and as I entered the dark room I saw the those bats open their eyes and star flying towards me. I was terrified. I reached to slam the Power button on my Gamecube and I just laid in my basement in terror. Then I realized that I would have to do everything again because I didn't have a memory card. So after I did everything my next screwup was when I was facing Puppet Ganon. I never knew that you had to use the Light Arrows to shoot that golden pearl in its tail. And I never knew until my friend called me one day saying that he beat the game and told me how to beat puppet Ganon. So as you can see I sucked at Zelda games. But this was when I was like 6-8 so it's alright. So my skills to progress in Zelda came from all of those mistakes I made in Alttp and Wind Waker(mostly WW). Oh my gosh I can't believe you actually read this far! You must feel really accomplished(no sarcasm lol). If you really did read all the way up to this point then you deserve a cookie, and a look inside the Nintendo Vault, and a chance to play beta Ocarina of Time. And now for the question: when did Zelda click for you? How old were you, or which Zelda game was it where you could just play it, think about puzzles, and quickly solve them? Or were you like me who's experience in Zelda is a compilation from screw ups made in past Zelda adventures?

Last edited:
My first Zelda game was Ocarina of Time. I was absolutely terrible at it. I progressed to the Great Deku Tree and then got stuck. Even after Navi's incessant hints, I could not figure out that you needed to break the spider web to descend.

Fast forward ten years or so and I'm sitting down with the game that started it all for me in terms of Zelda. I progress through my stumbling block and then encounter another in Dodongo's Cavern. I decide to put Ocarina of Time down and lock the golden cartridge away for awhile and try my luck with the two DS games as well as A Link to the Past. In Phantom Hourglass, I beat the first two dungeons and in Spirit Tracks all the dungeons through the final entrance to the Tower of Spirits before the Dark Realm. In A Link to the Past, progress went smoothly until the Gargoyle's Domain. The tight corridors are way too confusing for poor old me.

Enter 2011. Last calendar year was when my passion for Zelda reached full force and all because of one game-Ocarina of Time. With a copy of Ocarina of Time 3D in my hands, I decided to traverse the land of Hyrule once more. And boy was it satisfying! Not once did I get stuck for an extended period of time! Cruised through the child segment without any difficulty. The adult half went fairly easily as well and was immensely satisfying with such dungeons as the Forest Temple and bosses like Bongo Bongo. I also have to give credit to advanced courses in Algebra II and Geometry/Trigonometry for sharpening my intellect. It was with the final defeat of Ganon that I realized what I had become-A true Zelda gamer. My childhood ambitions had been achieved. I literally cried as the opening credits for the game rolled. No title has had so profound an effect on my life. Ocarina of time awakened my Zelda skills, was the final step in encouraging me to join these forums, and altered my life in ways more profound than I ever could have imagined when I first picked up that golden N64 cartridge in 1999.

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
It was on a Saturday, I was totally bored and was just messing around on Oot (I was still kinda close to the beginning). I decided to go into the Great Deku Tree since I had nothing else to do. I got to the part where your at the top of the Deku tree, and this one Skulltula was being a jerk. So after a while of fighting, I finally beat him and never felt the same again, I had grown stronger, and awesome-er ;).

Last edited:

Groose

Groosenator
I think when I first started playing I was good at them. I guess thats why I love them so much. I just get them, you know?

Well, I was 6 years old when I played Ocarina of Time, my first Zelda. I wasn’t very good at ALL at those first three child dungeons; I wasn’t good with the controls, and I was always getting stuck or killed from doing dumb things. When I got to the adult dungeons, I was a little better, though. Decent, not great. Then I got a bit older, and tried out Majora’s Mask, but I failed pretty miserably and quit after stumbling through some parts of the game. By the time Wind Waker came along, I was a little better, and the same with Twilight Princess.

It wasn’t until I was about 15 or 16 that it actually clicked with me, though. While I had enjoyed the games and loved them through my childhood, I knew that I wasn’t necessarily very great at them – better than the people I knew at school who played it, but not great. So I went back to Ocarina of Time, and finally it felt absolutely right and comfortable – a prefect kind of feeling, knowing that I had finally developed a sort of rhythm and style to easily fit myself into each time I played the game. That carried on into all the other games I played and replayed, but the best sort of feeling came from when I played and beat Majora’s Mask last year in June. It was incredible to be able to go through the places that I had stumbled so much on, and not just be average at them, but be GOOD at them. :>

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I'm not really quite sure. I've always been good at Zelda games, but I think alot of that has to do with I enjoy solving puzzles. I've always been good at school with that stuff, so I guess it just carried over to video games, and especially Zelda.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I actually got good at Zelda games after beating OOT by myself for the first time. I remember that feeling when you just killed a boss. the heart thumping and you have heavy breathing after concentrating so hard.

jack546

The chosen one
i started to develop my skills when i got my copy of wind waker although it is extremly easy it had the same controlls as the game cube versions of Oot and Mm which I would later beat.

Fig

The Altruist
I noticed I got skills in the Zelda series ever since Ocarina of Time came out. I never died once and I knew every tactic for every enemy. Not had for a three year old in 1998. :P

When it comes to solving puzzles or knowing what to do next, I feel that there is a style of thinking that you learn as you play Zelda games. My first Zelda game I was a bit slow and got stuck here and there, but once you solve these things, you kind of learn the way Zelda games work and learn to think outside the box in certain ways :)

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
My story is very similar to yours actually. My first game was either GBA ALttP or OoS. However, like you, with both games i wouldn't get far at all and then I'd just kind of quit until I actually got the gamer's guide for the GBA ALttP and somehow beat it (I was young at this time). Then I played Wind Waker some years later and LOVED IT, and then when I was I think 13 I got TP for christmas on the Wii but didnt rly play it for awhile. Then I played it later and thought it was pretty good. Then one day about a year ago, I randomly had the urge to play Smash Bros Melee. Who doesn't love Melee? When I used to play mele I would always play with Young Link. Then I started looking at the design of Link and Young Link and thought, wait...

If the SSB link looks like the OoT link, and the SSBB link looks like TP link... Who does the SSBM link look like?

So i hopped on the computer and looked up what LoZ games had come out between SSB and SSBM. I was redirected to a list of the Legend of Zelda games and the orders the came out in. Then I started thinking what order the actual stories came in chronologically. And I looked that up without any idea what I was getting into. I became mesmerized by the timeline theories and just the lore of Zelda. But then I thought wait, how could I possibly understand the split timeline if i havent played Ocarina of Time? so i played it. Loved it. Then I decided I'd make it my goal to complete every single Zelda game.

My skills and love for the series really clicked during my first playing of OoT.

When i was about 4, but it was ocarina of time and of course i sucked...i would say i just recently got real good at the games when i was 12, and im 14 now, but i have beaten a fair share of zelda games...but sadly most of them were virtual consoles:(

I started off with just playing around in OoT but then i found out that Wind Waker was the same thing!(sort of) So i started playing that and started from the beginning and after just getting my sword I felt awesome! So i ended up playing the whole game! I loved it! So then i played Twilight princess, then Majora's mask and so on. Now I LOVE Legend of Zelda!!!!! <3<3<3<3

O

ocarina of link

my first game was 0ot and i sucked i got stuck in the decku tree and it took me a long time to get through the dungeon

and here we are now even though im no master i have improved a lot maybe its because of me getting older and being able to think and understand things better. its also because of me knowing standard things in the series and thinking the puzzles through and looking at my possible outcome

and i love this series and it is one of my favorite things to do in my freetime

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom