• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wheel (of) Time(line)

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
TP has the City of the Sky, does that mean it's a prequel to SS, as well?
TP isn't on the downfall timeline so presumably not

The Master Sword exists in BotW and BotW2, and yet SS is all about completing the forging of the MS.
Master sword could break in botw2, iirc it wasn't in the trailer and link has a prosthetic sword arm

And how does Ganon(who according to CaC and implied by BotW is Ganondorf I) go from being unborn and reincarnated as the same guy?
Surely you don't actually see a problem with that

This would also close off any possibilities of stories taking place after BotW/BotW2, hence limiting storytelling possibilities.
There's still more than 10k years between zelda 2 and botw to explore. Not a problem

TP isn't on the downfall timeline so presumably not

It was just an example to show you that games having some similar elements doesn't mean anything by itself.

Master sword could break in botw2, iirc it wasn't in the trailer and link has a prosthetic sword arm

No evidence to say it breaks.

Also it is in this trailer atleast, on Link's back.

Surely you don't actually see a problem with that

What? Of course I do! It's one of the biggest issues with this idea. CaC outright confirms that the man who became the calamity was Ganondorf from OoT, by mentioning that he was born in the same era as Nabooru was. This is different from say, Ganon I dying in the CT in TP and being reincarnated as a new guy in FSA. BotW Ganon is OoT Ganon(hell, it's not that big of a surprise since ALL DT Ganons are OoT Ganon, but I digress). So, he would need to somehow be born for the first time again a second time. C'mon man, that's ridiculous.

There's still more than 10k years between zelda 2 and botw to explore. Not a problem

True, but what if they want to explore the eras after BotW/BotW2?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
What? Of course I do! It's one of the biggest issues with this idea. CaC outright confirms that the man who became the calamity was Ganondorf from OoT, by mentioning that he was born in the same era as Nabooru was. This is different from say, Ganon I dying in the CT in TP and being reincarnated as a new guy in FSA. BotW Ganon is OoT Ganon(hell, it's not that big of a surprise since ALL DT Ganons are OoT Ganon, but I digress). So, he would need to somehow be born for the first time again a second time. C'mon man, that's ridiculous.
reincarnation is okay, but reincarnation again isn't okay? Or waht?
True, but what if they want to explore the eras after BotW/BotW2?
I doubt we'll be seeing any more downfall games period

reincarnation is okay, but reincarnation again isn't okay? Or waht?

You don't get it.

OoT Ganon reincarnates into FSA Ganon after his death in TP on the CT. This makes sense as the Ganon in FSA is a new character that we haven't seen in any other game.

However, both OoT Ganon and BotW Ganon are the same guy, as proven by CaC. He's not reincarnated as a new Ganon on the DT like in the above example. So it doesn't make sense for BotW Ganon to reincarnate as OoT Ganon when he already IS OoT Ganon, as per the history of BotW, CaC, and the DT, as unlike the above example, OoT Ganon and BotW Ganon are literally the same character, wheras FSA Ganon is a different character.

I doubt we'll be seeing any more downfall games period

Why, though? Every single Zelda game since HH has been in the DT. I can see Nintendo taking a break from that branch, but never putting another game in it is a bit much, especially when it's the most convenient branch for the main villain of the series.

I am a bit saddened that so few of you have read The Wheel of Time, which is one of the major inspirations here. The vast scale of ages involved in that type of time loop is incredibly vast. Time enough for Skyloft to rise and fall many times over, before the same moment in time happens again. On top of that, the loop is not a closed loop, but more of a coil, where each pass is different enough for truly important decisions to be made. The Triforce would be more akin to the hub, upon which the multiverse rotates, and creation is more like recreation, on the grander scale.

While I doubt the franchise will actually go in this direction, the idea is interesting. One eventuality that would need to happen, is the master Sword would need to be lost/broken/used-up, requiering a new one to be forged. Being so long ago, and the legends lost, it would seem like the first/only time. Add in to this the idea that the Magic Sword is an attempt at recreating the Master Sword, we could very well say that there is a point in the loop where there actually are more than one copy around. Possibly multiple points in time.

The creation of the world could follow similar logic. for the world to be created, it would first need to be destroyed. Some important part, such as members of each race, that survived to the end, would be saved from the destruction, and the goddesses would have created/recreated a safe place for them.

Oh, and Zelda would definitely be Rand.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
“The cycle of incarnations turns, and heroes come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the hero that gave it birth comes again. In one era, called the downfall timeline by some, an era yet to come, an era long past, a wind rose above the great plains of Lanyru. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the cycle of incarnations. But it was a beginning.”

(I'm on book 10 lol)

Friendly reminder that just because one work of fiction uses this concept, that doesn't mean that the Zelda franchise uses it, or that it needs to, or that it should.

I don't believe there's enough solid evidence for this concept being a thing in Zelda, nor would this be anything other than foolishly limiting on Nintendo's part.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Friendly reminder that just because one work of fiction uses this concept, that doesn't mean that the Zelda franchise uses it, or that it needs to.

I don't believe there's enough solid evidence for this concept being a thing in Zelda, nor would this be anything other than foolishly limiting on Nintendo's part.
Nobody said WoT patented the looping timeline lol. It's clearly just a pun title used to explore a concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom