• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch What's your least favorite part of Link's Awakening and do you think the Remake will improve upon it?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
For example, I really didn't like how the shield was in the inventory and had to be equipped, I know that it was for hardware restriction reasons but it still made combat very cumbersome.

The Remake is fixing this by putting the shield on a separate button. Phew!

Are there any parts or aspects of LA that you really don't like that you hope could be better/more bearable in the Remake?

For me (with the majority of 2D Zelda) it is the screen shifting.

Maps in 2D Zelda games are made up of screena/tiles, and the screen shifts when you reach the end of the screen.

This has always disoriented me.

Though i know the renake fixes this so i am very excited to see how much of an impact it actually has on me.

Other than that I really hope they make the Angler Fish boss more exciting since you can beat him in about 4 seconds.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The only part of the game i didn't enjoy really was the goddamn Eagle Tower, never realised that you had to knock the pillars out to ascend to the top, i kinda hope they just put a notice or some indication of the 4 towers.

I'm also curious to see if the Colour Dungeon is gonna get Revamped or removed entirely, it only ever served to give more attack or more defense. Kinda hope you can find the tunics in the world and have the ability to change between them.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
A lot of my gripes with the game are easily resolved with some modernisation. Things such as screen swapping as a user previously mentioned, or the very limited equipment control scheme that was a mere product of its hardware. I feel like this remake will iron out a lot of those kinks.

I'm still a bit salty that it's locked to 8 direction movement though. Hopefully that's the only outdated mechanic they bring across.

I used to love the screen swapping mechanic just for the fact, you could search each screen and KNOW you've done it without overstepping into another screen unless required, in the remake it seems like it'll be a bit easier to get confused of location when it can no longer be "row 5 column 6 for specific item" but then again it'll likely add to the game making it feel like one whole island instead of seperate areas.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
That's a good point I hadn't thought about actually. I suppose it does help from a completionist point of view and no doubt some players used this to great effect. Personally I'm not too concerned with finding everything and I prefer my dungeons to be more seamless rather than a gauntlet of individual rooms so it didn't work for me.
I agree on the dungeon front, it kind of broke immersion when you had to swap screens for every room, i am wondering how that's gonna work, because LA originally relied on the screen swap to delineate rooms in a dungeon and some were really open mapped cuz of it so will the remake just add in arbitrary walls?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Others have said this before, but my biggest issue with the game was only having two buttons for every item. That was really annoying, hardware restriction or not. Many of the items will have their own buttons or be auto-equipped so that’s gonna make things much better.

How every time you bumped into an object you needed the bracelet to lift, but didn't have it equipped, it would talk about how the thing was too heavy. Once you obtain the item, that text needs to go away. And yes, I think they will fix that.

My biggest gripe with Link's Awakening was the buttons and how often you had to pause the game to select which item/weapon you wanted to do. Link to the website for the controls: https://www.zelda.com/links-awakening/gameplay/

I read on that website that the dash (peagus boots), blocking (shield), sword, and power braclet will be always equipped.

As someone who bought the original Link's Awakening for the GameBoy when it came out, it was so amazing how well the game ran compared to A Link To The Past which was on more powerful hardware than the original GameBoy and even the original GameBoy was not as powerful as the NES (GameBoy Color surpassed the NES in that regard).

And let's not forget about when you got the compass in each dungeon.

I have all of the Zelda games that could go on the 2DS XL and the Zelda game I keep going back to was Link's Awakening...it's obvious Link's Awakening is my favorite 2D Zelda game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom