• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's your favorite version of Twilight Princess?

The best version

• Gamecube

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Wii

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Twilight Princess HD

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Simple question.

Twilight Princess has seen multiple releases over the years. Originally released as cross-gen, both on the Gamecube and the Wii, it later received a HD remaster in 2016 on the Wii U.

Twilight Princess on Wii had the shaking of the Wii remote to slash your sword, as well as the option of aiming with the remote.
In Twilight Princess HD, aside from prettier (though that's up for debate) graphics, it also sports various features tied to the Wii U gamepad, such as inventory management and gyro aiming.
And Twilight Princess on Gamecube is the true OG. No trends or gimmicks, just straight up fun.

Let's talk about it! Which one is your favorite?

I'm going to have to say the HD is my favorite due to the challenge I have on both modes. I originally played the Wii version which was mirrored. Playing Normal mode, which was the GCN version had me getting lost at every turn. Hard Mode(Wii Version) was also really fun.

I'll say HD because there were a few quality of life changes that I appreciated, like switching from Wolf to Hylian form with a touch of the gamepad.

Gamecube version is still fine though, I love it to pieces.

Wii is an abomination and I feel sorry for those who have only played that version. It can burn in hell.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I'll go with Gamecube. I never got comfortable with Wiimote waggling and I guess since I played Gamecube first, I never got used to the mirrored Hyrule.

Twilight Princess HD I think ... doesn't look as good? There's something off and 'naked' about it, they updated the textures sure, but it creates some kind of disjoint between the hi-res textures and the low poly count on most of the assets, I was never really comfortable with it. I appreciate the QoL changes, but I never had too much of a problem with item management in the other versions to begin with.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The game is the game. I played it first on the wii and then the gamecube version. The only difference is it being mirrored and you have to point your controller yourself instead of it automatically being done like the wii version. Yeah wii controls are a bit ****ty. Though the game isn't less good. The story is still the same. Yeah wii version is easier. But it doesn't make TP a lesser game in my opinion. Personally I like the GC version the best. No troubles with it being mirrored. It's just switching the mind :P

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
The one where I throw my rotten apple cores and empty take-out containers, it’s really convenient because it’s all taken out every Friday and.... oh wait, you’re talking about twilight Princess, not trash cans. I’m sorry I get them confused sometimes.

In all seriousness, the HD version is the only version I can tolerate, due to the original being visually repulsive. The fact that the tears of light portions were made shorter (still not short enough, but it’s a step in the right direction) and a few other quality of life additions also make this easily the best version. I mean a polished turd is still a turd but whatever.

As for the SD versions, they’re both equally bad, it’s just a matter of preference.

if you like pointer controls and a waggle that’s little more than a fancy way of pressing the b button, the Wii version is for you. If you prefer a traditional controller, albeit a bad one, the GameCube version is better.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I can only speak for the Wii version personally, but I can imagine using the GC controller or the gamepad would be better than motion controls, pointer aiming aside.

To say the GC version is my favorite wouldn't be fair since it's the only version I played, but I don't really intend to try the Wii U version since it's a little much to buy a fancier version of something I already own. Maybe someday, but it's no priority.

The one where I throw my rotten apple cores and empty take-out containers, it’s really convenient because it’s all taken out every Friday and.... oh wait, you’re talking about twilight Princess, not trash cans. I’m sorry I get them confused sometimes.
here's your reply

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I love how the HD version looks so its my favorite and I have almost 100% all 3, I am near the end of HD. Between the 2 original I love how when aiming the bow you just point and shoot on the Wii.

MW7

I have the Gamecube and Wii U versions. I haven't played the Gamecube version since buying the Wii U version and have beaten the game probably 4 times since then. The Wii U version took few risks with the remake, and that is fine. I would have changed a few more things, but everything they did change was an improvement in my opinion (as opposed to Majora's Mask 3d for example).

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I can't talk because I've only played HD. But I loved having the double screen on that and WWHD, its a pain to have to pause to get your items.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've only played it on gamecube, and I may be completely wrong but it seemed to me like the HD version had the least amount of changes compared to the other zelda 3d/HD versions, so you can't go wrong w/ either

I have zero need to play twilight princess mirror mode though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom