• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Favorite Anime?

Kazumi

chagy
I believe that this image is applicable.
1BIO2

These would be my nine favorite anime. I don't think I could pick just one. They are, from left to right and top to bottom:

Welcome to the NHK, Minami-ke, Cowboy Bebop, Cromartie High School, Baccano, BECK, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Honey and Clover, and Ika Musume.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
My all time favorite anime is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
It has awesome music and there's always some sort of action going on.

Sword Art Online and Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai are my other favorites.

FMA: Brotherhood would be on top for me, if it wasn't for the rushed feeling of the first 5th of it. But other than that, it is definitely a really good anime, for those who haven't seen it.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is probably my favorite, with FMA: Brotherhood following. Other than that, Ouran High School Host Club, Death Note, and Shiki really stick out in my mind as pretty dang awesome.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I'm going to have to go with one piece, the universe Oda makes with his series is just fantastic and very enthralling, although its silly it effortlessly creates serious and even emotional moments. The characters are all very well written and feel as though they act out of their own reason and morals as opposed to serving to further the plot.
It's a long road but it's worth it, if anybody reading this is on the fence about starting.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
If your favorite anime is Death Note it just means you haven't seen Code Geass, I recomend watching it immediatly.

My favorite anime are

Clannad
Code Geass
Kanon

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
After all these years, even after having gone through one Hell of a fandom and realizing that it really was pretty goofy -

TRIGUN

It's not as "artsy" as some titles I've gotten into since, and it has a lot of over-the-topness, but it's a fun title, has a great settinig (wild west meets steampunk meets sci-fi), and actually has a lot of philosophy - particularly regarding the varying "sacredness" and expendability of life. It's also got bada$$ longcoats and hero-wind, and weird junk happening to a moon. Vash the Stampede is so charasmatic a character that he is, even after years, still my favorite fictional character out of all of fiction.

I'll summarize it since it is an older title (first aired in 1998) and not everyone may be familiar with it:

In the far future, there is a desert world inhabited by a humanity that lives a rough, mostly old west style existance withering under twin suns. Rescources are scarce and mostly centered around mysterious power-generating "Plants" and other bits of lost technology leftover from cataclysmic crash-landing of the original colonists - "The Big Fall." On this planet, rumors fly about a mysterious gunslinger, Vash the Stampede who is rumored to be the baddest of the bad, a destroyer of cities, a wandering grim reaper who visits anyplace only to leave destruction in his wake.

After the latest Vash-blamed disaster, a pair of lady insurance agents (Meryl Strife and Milly Thompson) are assigned by their firm to find and monitor this outlaw and to try to minimize his chaos. When they do meet up with the real Vash the Stampede, he actually... tuns out to be a goofy pacifist who uses his gun to stop bandits when he has to (non-lethally) and who tires to talk his way out of sitiuations as much as possible. Great destruction follows him, but it is usually caused by bounty hunters after his head and assorted bandits in their mad rush to try to kill him!

The story deepens and darkens. Vash and the girls meet up with a gunslinging priest named Nicholas D. Wolfwood who hails from the city of December who is trying to protect an orphanage and who, strangely enough, does not actually resemble Santa Claus... and we find out about a group of asassins sent after Vash as part of a plot by a genocidal maniac out to wipe mankind from the planet, Vash's connection to the Plants, to the history of the world and to the destruction of a city called July many years ago.

That's a basic summary witout giving spoilers. The story starts out quite lighthearted but it gets decidedly dark midway through. The manga is longer and much gorier than the anime. Some fans say it's "deeper" but I personally don't see it, in fact, I think the over the top blood of the manga actually takes away from the depth of the core story just a bit - but the core story is good in both the anime and the manga and there are bits I like of each. (A few of the important plot events I think were done better in the manga, and some I think were done better in the anime).

There is also a feature-length movie, "Badlands Rumble" that is based in the anime's version of the universe and some unspecified point in the plot and has Vash, Wolfwood, Milly and Meryl dealing with an uber-bandit named Gasback and a bounty huntress named Ameila. I think that movie's best scene is the whole bar sequence. *Grin.* Lots of weird people and Vash being, well... Vash.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'm not the most knowledgeable on anime, although this semester has introduced me to quite a few new good ones. Watched the entirety of Baccano, and I laughed my *** off the entire time. I've gotten a few episodes into Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, looks very promising.

Right off the top of my head the one that comes to mind is Bleach. It's probably the most generic anime you can get into, but whatever, I think it's still cool. Even if they lose me sometimes in their filler arcs I really like the fighting. It's the only one to make me watch them all to the current day, all 300+ episodes.

Other ones I've really enjoyed through the years are:

Pokemon. I grew up watching Pokemon (and playing Pokemon, and trading Pokemon cards, etc.), and I can still go back to it to this day and still enjoy myself watching it even though it's really corny.

Trinity Blood. A show about vampires that actually gets it right, not that stupid Twilight crap. And I really enjoy the Catholic themes, architecture, music, etc. in it as well.

Avatar: The Last Airbender, and by extent The Legend of Korra. This show is pure awesome. And I don't want to hear crap about how it's not anime just because it wasn't made in Japan, that doesn't matter, the art style is most definitely anime.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
My vote goes hands down to Avatar. That anime is my childhood, and I still watch it all the time. The plot is brilliant, starting casual and silly but getting more serious as time goes on, the character development is wonderful for ALL of the characters, especially Zuko of course, and it is just the perfect balance of romance, action, and comedy. I give it eight and a half stars out of five, and you will not hear me say that for ANYTHING else. Anyway, I haven't actually seen either of these, but I read both of the manga series, so second place goes to Fullmetal Alchemist and third place goes to Fruits Basket. Pokemon gets an honorable mention because it was amazing all the way through the second season, and I still remember getting up early on Saturdays, grabbing all of my Pokemon cards and meeting my brother downstairs when it starts, but then it started to go downhill and pretty soon it's just going to be a little puff of dust at the bottom of a cliff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom