• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Fandom Pet Peeve?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
People who look down on those that watch anime.

Honestly, I can see why, though. There are some that are just horrible.

*peeks out from under the rock of fandom shame* M-Preg bugs me so much. It makes no sense!! I've only read ONE series that I thought did it absolutely any justice and that's because aliens and a fabulous authoress. That's it. No one else will ever be able to come close.

Also, student-teacher relationships. No, do not ship Snape/Harry. Or Snape/Hermoine. Or Snape/Anyone-who-isn't-Lily. Do not ship Kakashi/Any-one-who-isn't-my-chosen-yaoi-ship(which isn't student at all.) Or even Pike/Kirk, tho I'm not huge in the Star Trek fandom, so I'm not sure how often this is done.

From a long term yaoi fangirl's perspective comes...the difference between yaoi and slash! As I use it, yaoi is exclusively for anime. It can bleed over into the video games and cartoon categories depending on how western it is. Slash is the exact same thing, but for every other category out there. *hides under her rock again*

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't mind the shipping thing that much but there are a few things I dislike in a fandom:
- In fanfiction or RP playing or writing about an existing character and play it completely out of character. So badly it makes my toes grinch.

- Gruesome grammar abuse in stories. A friend of mine is 36 years old and she is so horrible when it comes to grammar it ruins her stories. " There standing in there room and they here the sound of the phone. Someone cold them. Your going to pick it up the mail said." She has been told many times to work on her grammar but instead of doing better she is getting worse. And if you want to be taken serious you should avoid making these kind of mistakes.

- The so called experts. You got them in every fandom. These people who know all details better than anybody else and god forbid if you make a slight mistake. For instance you got the title of an episode wrong or you got a detail wrong. Then these people show up and correct you with not just one word but they toss a whole phonebook filled with details at you. I hate that so much. Nothing annoys me more than that. Or when you give your vision on the story in general or an episode or whatever, and they jump on your back telling you how wrong you are because they are the experts and know the best of all.
I've seen this happen all the time.

- When you are judged because you like a certain team or player when it comes to sports. Even sports have fandoms :P Too often I read nasty comments about people who like a certain hockey player or team. "Oh, you got an avatar of Crosby so you must be stupid." Or even worse and this really happens a huge lot among hockeyfans. " So your baby is wearing a -insert team name- jersey. So your child is going to be a filthy ugly nasty swine." This makes me vomit inside. And this is why I stay away from Hockey groups. The sport is amazing but the fandom can be terrible.

Djinn

and Tonic
The people that absolutely insist on Japanese names for various anime characters as opposed to localization. Like angrily demanding Guts be pronounced Gatsu, or Super Saya-Jin instead of Super Saiyan. It's the exact same thing, nothing makes it more special by going out of one's way to pronounce the Japanese accent. This also spills over to the realm of translated names for attacks in shonen stuff vs keeping it entirely in Japanese. So death beam canon is absolutely loathed by the "hardcore" fans but it translates to the exact same thing when keeping the Japanese name. Somehow this generates so much enmity among these groups that they absolutely will go crazy if they hear Lion's Roar Fire Fist in English at all.......within a fully translated anime/manga. It must be the one thing not translated no matter what.

Then "hardcore" fans in general regardless of the series. Somehow they are more fan than you or I because they watch more of it and buy more stuff. That places them on a special privileged level.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Whenever I see MLP crossovers when I'm looking for something else. Actually, whenever I see MLP at all, I'm getting sick of it. This one isn't my own fandom though, cuz, you know, I hate it so much now.

Something that's actually from my own fandom… well, this is sort of Hetalia-related; I hate it when I see people typing 'accents'. Okay seriously, what the frick? People don't WRITE differently. They only talk differently, so why are you spelling everything stupidly? I only see this in Hetalia-related things though. It's just annoying.

Also hate it when I see people cosplaying pairings or slash, whatever you wanna call it. I just don't like it, because I know it's just people in costumes, and not an actual drawing. It feels more like it's the actual characters if you draw the picture and don't dress up. (Yeah yeah, I have a thing for pairings, leave me alone…)

Salem

SICK
When people com pain about fantoms and think there better than anyone else even thought they probably are as bad or worse than the people they're com paining about.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Whovians who think Tenant/10 is the best Doctor ever and deny any other Doctor.

you can like 10 all you want but you still have to respect the other actors and their portrayals of the character rather than just complaining that they aren't 10.
OMG you're soooo right! It's ten years ago since Tennant was announced as the new Doctor. And the reactions the fans post..... Best Doctor ever followed by Eccleston and Ten had the best companions ever. 98% of the Tennant fans never even saw one single episode of the other Doctors. They only say Sarah jane because she was in season 2 and 4. But if she wasn't in it, nobody would have cared. It's okay to have your fav Doctor but the fact remains that before Tennant and Eccleston there were 8 other Doctors.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I used to be very involved in the world of Zelda fanfiction, but my interest in it has dwindled in the past year or so. And I think it's because I've become jaded. I can't figure out if it's because I've read all the good stories available -- which it often feels like -- or if I've just experienced so much fanfiction that I've set my standards impossibly high and always end up disappointed. The latter seems more likely, since I have some stories on my favorites list that I would never read now that I haven't even touched in years, that I don't even recall the plot of. I think as I read more and more stories, I started to get a better grasp on what a good fanfiction was like and what I enjoyed about them, so I lost interest in a lot of the mediocre stories on there...

But, since this thread is about fandom pet peeves, I'm going to talk about my biggest one in the Zelda fandom. It's Dark Link. Just... Dark Link in general. I hate him. I like him in the game as an enemy -- I have an Ocarina of Time 3D file that literally just exists so I can go fight him whenever I want to because it's so much fun -- but the fandom has turned him into this really annoying character that I hate so much. He's just supposed to be the "cool" guy, and whenever we get a new game, everyone's BEGGING for him to come back. It's just frustrating now. I like Dark Link as being a mysterious, mindless manifestation of darkness that uses your own moves against you. That's cool. Turning him into a full-blown villain would just ruin his image in my opinion.

Dark Link ruined one of my favorite fanfictions for me, in fact. One of my favorite stories of all time began incorporating him, and I lost interest in the story completely. He was okay at first -- Dark Link was kind of a behind-the-scenes sort of character... but then he took on a major role and I started disliking him and by extension the story more and more before I just stopped reading updates completely. I feel very disappointed in that story -- they had an excellent set-up, beautiful command of language, and, the reason I'm the most disappointed, a really, really good original villain. He had motivation, backstory, personality, and he was simultaneously likable and detestable... He was fantastic. And then they replaced him with the cliché that is Dark Link. It's very annoying when Dark Link gets his own personality in these stories, since in the game, there's not even evidence that he can TALK.

Dark Link CAN be pulled off well, of course. But it's difficult, and I'm very picky. These days I just avoid stories with Dark Link in them entirely. (Well, to be fair, I pretty much avoid fanfiction entirely now, aside from rereading my old favorites every now and then...)

As far as other clichés that I hate go... Well, self-inserts annoy me, but since I don't click on them, I don't know if they're really a pet peeve or not. They're just silly in my opinion and I'm not at all interested in them. And I don't like stories in which OCs are the main character. I'm VERY wary about OCs in fanfics, and if they steal too much spotlight from the canon characters, I tend to dislike the story. But they can be done well, so it's not like they're a general pet peeve.

It's funny some of the things you've mentioned. I actually like out of character stories a lot. Well, many of them can be terrible, especially when the characters are OoC for no reason at all -- but when there is an explanation or it's an AU, I really like them. There is this one story called Sacred Reliquary that I used to love (but I haven't read it in a long time, and as I've said, my standards have changed) that placed numerous Zelda characters together in a single AU Hyrule. All of the characters had vague references to the original source material, but their personalities were very different -- Rusl in particular I remember, because I could definitely see hints of his Twilight Princess personality in his character, but he was basically a bad guy for the whole story. He was a very tragic character and quite interesting to read about. (I can't really say why without spoiling anything, so...)

As far as authors placing their own habits on the character... That's complicated. In the above case, I think I'd normally take the authors side; personally I'd never say "oh my god" and it'd be hard for me to write a character saying that. But if it's the character's personality, or if they say that phrase often in the source material... then yeah, I could see where that might get annoying.

And then for the high school thing. Yes, most of them are terrible. But I highly suggest reading Hit List by zestycrouton. That story is a high school fic that excellently incorporates all the legends and magic that make Zelda what it is. It starts out a lot like any other high school fic but it really does make a comeback. It's such an enjoyable read with great characters (who, I'll add again, are slightly OoC but still fantastic) and a really good plot.

I agree about Dark Link. People get way more excited about him that they should. They try to make him out to be a real character who's really cool and ****.
Its bollocks. Dark link is a creation of Ganon, it's just a magical enemy that mimics link. No personality at all, just an enemy that you fight. Dark link is fun and all but when people say DL is a character, its like saying that Diababa is a character or Ghoma is a character.

I've been in a Sonic Group on Facebook, This group in particular has a pairing rule, it says all pairings are allowed. When I see Sontails parings I feel uncomfortable, not because it's homosexual but it's paedophile. Sonic is 15 and Tails is 8. And someone said Tails is hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom