• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Difficulty?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
When playing a game that gives you the option, do you go for easy, normal or hard? Or, if the game covers it, very easy or very hard? Which kind of games do you like a challenge in, and which kind of games do you prefer to ease it up in?

I always go for easy because I need me some story first and I'm not great a the vidya gaems.

However, if an easy mode changes the controls from what would be a normal set up then I'll go normal.

Tend to go normal first time round. I'm not a pro by all means but I think a modicum of difficulty adds to a games experience.

That feeling of finally getting past that difficult trial/puzzle/challenge is supremely satisfying.

I tend to save hard/extra hard for subsequent playthroughs depending on the game.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I usually go for normal in most cases because I prefer to focus on the story more than anything else, but I also like a bit of challenge as well.

In Fire Emblem's case, the naming of difficulty levels can get a bit confusing though (usually, normal = easy, hard = normal, lunatic/maniac/maddening = hard). So for FE, I usually choose normal, even though it actually is easy mode.

MW7

I almost always work my way up in difficulty. If I don't like a game to the extent that replaying it won't happen, missing out on playing it on the harder difficulty isn't really missing out on anything. If I really like a game, then the hard mode becomes the default choice.

A good example is Goldeneye 007. Growing up I could only beat most levels on Agent. Some I could beat on Secret Agent and some I could beat on 00 Agent. After decades of playing the game, now 00 Agent is my default. Also when I replay Zelda games, typically I go for Hero mode. One thing to point out is that second quests like Legend of Zelda or Ocarina of Time Master Quest are so different that I still play the first quests most often. For games like A Link Between Worlds or the Link's Awakening remake, I play Hero mode by default.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I always try to go for higher difficulties, but that depends on the game.

Here's some games that I think benefits from higher difficulty
Bayonetta. (Makes it more of a challenge to get Platinum)
The Last of Us.(Heightens the tension)
Breath of the Wild. (Master Mode ftw)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses. (permadeath of bust!)

Though, I'm always opting for medium/easy on most RPGs, since it's so easy to bottleneck yourself if you don't grind enough.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
always start on the standard difficulty and then second gameplay at hardest difficulty if I feel like I’m up to the challenge

usually it’s to get medals/achievements/trophies rather than a personal challenge tho

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I usually play games on easy mode, depending on the game. Sometimes the gameplay is fun as is and the easier difficulty takes some artificial frustration out of the experience. I dont typically go looking for challenges through the use of difficulty options, I'd rather have organic challenges. If that makes sense.

It usually depends on the game, with Ratchet: Deadlocked I usually go for two full playthroughs on Couch Potato (very easy), then switch to Exterminator (very hard) for the last three Skill Points, Exterminator Card, and remaining Stars. However for Kingdom Hearts, hardest difficulty all the way man.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I like games with a challenge, so I usually opt for the hard mode regardless of game.

For games that are designed to be hard like Ninja Gaiden: Black, Ninja Gaiden II, and the Soulsborne/Sekiro type games, well, having an easy mode is superfluous really.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
For a first playthrough, I'll do whatever is deemed as the standard difficulty. I think it's nice to experience the game the way the developers intended for a first go around, and it makes it so I can actually learn at a fair pace. For later playthroughs, if I like the game, I tend to use the harder difficulties.

Kirino

Tatakae
I'll always play the standard difficulty on a first playthrough and go for a higher one on subsequent playthroughs. The only exception is if I'm especially familiar with the series and want a challenge, in which case I'll start on hard right off the bat. There's not many series I'm comfortable enough to do that with, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom