• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Your Blog Writing Process?

Just curious on what you do when writing a blog on this website or any others.

How far in advance do you plan it?

How you choose what topic to blog about?

Do you work on multiple ones or focus on one at a time?

Usually I do a blog when I have an idea or want to talk about something that wouldn't really make a good thread.

A lot of the time my ideas come from talking with friends.

As for planning and writing, I usually have a good idea of what I want straight away.

For example my blog In Hopeful Spirits was designed to talk about games I'd like to see that haven't been announced yet and what I'd like to see from them.

There are plenty of games I'd like to see and many I have my own ideas for so the blogs themselves aren't hard to write.

I never try to force a blog though, just like I don't try to force threads. I've tried in the past to make a certain number of threads in a specific amount of time and they've ended up being some of my weakest content.

A difference between my threads and blogs is that I try to be impartial where threads are concerned so that all opinions feel welcome, but my blogs are often more opinionated because they're more my personal space where I can write more freely for the site.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't know if I have a process, I just pick a topic and write what comes to me. Now, if I do want to make an effort to plan my blog out before I go in to write, I do what I typically do to plan for an Editorial, basically I get my ideas out as a bullet point list, then change stuff around, take away, or add to as I see fit.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I never really had something in mind. I just wrote something down when I wanted to share something. But earlier this year I started with a large Cross Stitch Project and I'm updating it in my blog. So I plan on writing a new chapter in my blog when I almost finish an important part of my work. I don't post updates every time I stitch because that would be boring and won't really show the progress but I do plan this ahead.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Usually I spitball ideas to talk about, and I give it a go.

Usually, I reserve blog posts for the kind of posts that won't make good threads.

In terms of writing, I write what comes to mind. With whisk(e)y reviews, I am writing those on the fly as I smell and taste the whisk(e)y in real time. Those are the easiest ones to write and the most fun.

The blogs on sword fighting I plan, as well as anything dealing with weapons I plan out to be a smooth reading experience, and depending on the subject, like armored sword fighting, requires going through gobs and gobs of books, Medieval manuscripts, and such. In fact, the sword fighting blogs take me the longest to get out.

Hell, I'm still writing my German longsword blog, and still doing research, because since I mainly study Italian longsword, and the German style of longsword is a bit different, something that I figure would require tons of research and some training to do it justice. So if you were wondering why that's taking a while, now you know.

The firearm posts are always random and done on the fly.

Video game reviews are only done on games I have played, I can't fairly judge a work if I have not experienced it.

The Art of Being a Man blogs in essence, require some input from you guys, friends and family. So those naturally come out slower. And that explains why there hasn't been an entry in a while.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I start by writing down my personal views, include more appropriate jargon. I then look up to written article and note what differences they have. Lastly I check the info twice (especially for the historical blog I wrote as I don't want misinfo)
and then formalize it.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It takes me a while to get my thoughts together once I decide on a topic. I write them in a word processor off site, and the first draft is something of a conversation with myself, getting my thoughts and ideas on the page and articulated. It helps me explore my thoughts better and get them organised in a coherent way. Those first drafts can be somewhat rambling, and I'll often write what ends up as the conclusion fairly early on. I'll shift sections around so that it works as a single piece of prose and go through again to make sure what I'm saying flows.

Once I've gotten everything I want to say down and organised I'll decide where I break up the text with images, then go get them, make them all a tolerable size, and post.

meiwanz

Japan-Quality Construction Equipment | Meiwa NZ
When 5 lines is too much for people, they shouldn't be reading. It might be too dangerous for them.
Maybe I'll write a blog about it.

I'm looking for new topic ideas. To be honest writing is not my strong suit but I need to write what is love essay in a week. I guess I'll use a little help of writing service to cope with this task. Last time I got the highest score in the class with their help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom