• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's your approach to getting stuck?

Do you say-

• "Screw this, the game obviously hates me" and never play again

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • "Arrrgh!" turn off the game and reattempt it in a few days (once you've calmed down)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • "Well guess I can't figure this out" refers to guidebooks or videos

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • "How dare this game defy me! I can do this!" repeats the section over and over until success

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • "Help!" asks another person to try doing it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends/Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I stopped trying to figure things out on my own as I've gotten older because I don't have as much free time. I tend to watch a walkthrough if I get stuck its less of a headache to me and it makes the game more enjoyable. I don't want to get angry at a game when playing video games is something I do for fun.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I chose depends because sometimes I do a mix of the options.

Most of the time I will repeatedly play over and over if I'm stuck, hoping for a breakthrough, and sometimes I get it. This is probably my most consistent approach. I'll do that for awhile, but if it isn't working and I'm getting frustrated I'll stop playing and cool down. I'll probably return to the game a day or two later.

I have rage quit games before but it would take years of me trying and failing before I'd get to get to a point where I'd gave up. This was before it occurred to me I could be looking for guides online, so prior to 2007. Sometimes in a platformer a guide can't help, it's just skill based and if I can't nail the timing for some reason I give up on the game.

Guides are a last resort for me, I will consult them if I have to but I prefer trying over and over to find a solution for myself.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
My response varies. In Super Metroid, I'll get stuck, stop playing, and then forget about the game for several months before remembering it exists, coming back, making progress, getting stuck, and repeat. That's why I'm still on my first playthrough to this very day. The one time I got stuck in Chrono Trigger (there would have been a lot more instances if I hadn't been introduced to the game via playthroughs on YouTube), I simply watched one of Vinesauce's streams from 2016 (you'd never guess today that you'd actually have to talk to NPCs to advance the Northern Ruins sidequest, and we can thank modern JRPGs for making NPCs completely useless). Cheating, but worth it for the reward. Actually, there was another time I got stuck: I somehow forgot which establishment sold the Jerky (I buy two on every playthrough, one for the Rainbow Shell and another for HIGH CHOLESTEROL), so that led to a very fun several minutes of searching before eventually discovering it at the Snail Stop. Another time I got stuck was on Skyward Sword, which for a game that's basically walking in one direction and one direction only, is definitely very maze-like, and not in the fun Zelda-like way. Skyward Sword was a huge disappointment and a waste of money. I came back to the game later, and I ended up hating it more. Let's see... what other notable times have I gotten stuck in video games? Oh, right, Final Fantasy VII. I had to consult a guide for the Don Corneo quest, and later I'd accidentally load an old savestate and undo all of that progress, so that's when I stopped playing Final Fantasy VII. And, can I be honest? I might be the only person whose gotten stuck on every dungeon in Ocarina of Time and had to come to this site for answers.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I speedrun the 5 stages of grief in record time, but instead of acceptance as the last stage I have a "drink wine until everything feels okay again" stage. Then I sit back down calmly and try again. rinse and repeat until I complete the bit I'm stuck at (with some help from google) or I end up in the emergency room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom