• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's wrong with hydroelectricity?

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Hello ZD,

So hydroelectricity is a good alternative to fossil fuels in my opinion. It is renewable and it sounds cheap. All one needs is a flowing water source. So why are we reluctant to abandon fossil fuels in favor of a cheaper energy source like that? It also doesn't cause pollution. Even if it does cost a lot of money, I couldn't imagine it costing anymore money than funding excavations to find fossil fuels.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
For one, it requires a body of flowing water nearby. There are a lot of places where that just isn't an option.
Second, it disrupts the nearby wildlife. There's a lot that goes into the ones that do exist in order to keep fish and other animals moving, but nothing changes the fact that there's a giant concrete structure in the middle of the river.
Boats have to deal with the same issue. If you put it donstream of a port city, you'll find that city suddenly loses said port.
Those are the main issues I can think of. That said, i do still like them and think that they should be used more often, but also have their own fair share of issues like everything else. 10/10 better than coal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom