• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Worse: Trolling or Spamming?

Read what I said above; it's tons of fun to do because you're the one doing it. The only reason you could conceivably thing it's funny on the receiving side is if you're fond of trolling back or you've never actually gotten trolled. As for the second statement, I bolded: That's completely false. Plenty of people don't care because, as has been said, it is mindless. Getting mad at someone who isn't thinking is a waste of thought, whereas someone who's intentionally doing what they're doing is a decent source of anger.

Well, obviously I can only attest to my personal experience and opinions, but I think mindless is a lot more annoying. With trolling you can at least respond with a well thought out troll of your own. With spamming there is no real response that can solve the problem. Plus, you can't really hurt the feelings of people acting mindlessly. It's no fun if you can't make someone cry.

Trolling is Funny alot of the time. Spamming just pisses me off. I just want to kick whoever is spamming in the teeth!

Spamming is so much worse. Trolling can actually be funny, but spamming just makes me wanna remove their internet rights -______________-

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Spamming is far worse than trolling; at least one can get a kick out of trolling whereas spamming is just aggravating to no end without the smallest snippet of laughter -- if one isn't a moderator or whatever on a specific site, the BEST they can do is report the spamming, but one can always ignore trolls no matter what their user status is.

So, for example, if we're in a discussion thread about...hell, ice cream.

spamming scenario said:
Poster A: Ice cream this ice cream that
Poster B: Ice cream that ice cream this
[Spammer]: CLOSE UR EYES BLOW INTO UR HANDS SAY THE NAME OF YOUR CRUSH 4 TIMES THEN PRESS ALT+F4 IF U DID IT RITE UR CRUSH WILL KISS U ON NEAREST FRIDAY
[Spammer]: CLOSE UR EYES BLOW INTO UR HANDS SAY THE NAME OF YOUR CRUSH 4 TIMES THEN PRESS ALT+F4 IF U DID IT RITE UR CRUSH WILL KISS U ON NEAREST FRIDAY
Poster A: Ice cream this...shut up spammer!
B: Ice cream that...shut up spammer!

There, both poster A and poster B will have trouble with carrying ont he convo because they have to dodge the spamming posts over and over and over again. Spamming here on ZD is mitigated due to the 60 second post flood control (which I abhor), but elsewhere one can post and post and post and not be penalized for it. Maybe have to do a CAPTCHA, but those are relatively simple. Of course, macros are useless in that case since you basically have to read the thing to get it correct, which most amateur macros can't do.

In Trolling scenario [we're still talking ice cream here]:
Trolling Scenario said:
Poster A: Ice cream
Poster B: Ice cream
Troll: EVERYONE WHO POSTS IN THIS THREAD IS STUPID ICE CREAM IS STUPID
Poster A: Ice cream with chocolate syrup
Poster B: Ice cream with cherries
Poster C: Ice cream with vanilla and pistachio sprinkles
Troll: EVERYONE...IDIOTSSS
Poster D: Yay Ice cream!

In that situation contributing posters do not have to ignore spammy posts as much (because one can spam to disrupt and therefore troll). One can factor in that someone could take the bait and therefore the troll could make a somewhat amusing (to outside viewers) though still disruptive and annoying (to the mods) string of posts.

Spam is worse than troll, that's just how I see it.

Last edited:

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
Both of them aren't a major problem because one can ignore it, but in my opinion spammers are worse. This is because spammers leave as many messages as possibe is the shortest ammount of time possible, whereas trolls usually make one or two posts and then defend them from the masses who want them to stop trolling.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
A troll can usually be taken care of right away while a spammer ruins boards and topics. So I'd say Spamming is worse but a troll will get under my skin more.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
People who think Trolls can be funny should be in our position and then see if you still think it is funny. Yes I admit sometimes trrolls do crack me up but most trolls are annoying and irritating. Spammers are the biggest concern because they keep on going and spam everywhere. I once had to remove (on another forum) 63 spam topics in one day.
Trolls are most of the time misbehaving. They are rude and intend to ruin a forum. They will never follow the rules and will try to harm as much as possible. You have different kind of trolls. Not all trolls are the same. Still a big problem though

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Just curious- how many ppl here that say trolling is funny have videos themselves on YT? TROLLS SUCK BUTT. I am not talking about differences of opinion or constructive criticism (I do that with some bands and singers, etc.). I am talking about personal attacks by insecure ppl hiding behind their computer screen.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Trolling is worse than spamming.
Spamming can be dealt with, but is very annoying.
Trolling can be dealt with, but is annoying and difficult.
And what you say on the internet never goes away.

Any community that completely shuts down due to a handful of trolls was a rotten community to begin with.
I beg to differ. You can really have one or two people changing the environment without 'breaking' rules and still be trolls. As a staff you don't want to jump too soon, but delaying can be costly it doesn't mean the community had bad staff or lack of staff or whinny members.

There is no reason to take trolling as anything more than harmless fun. It's irritating at it's worst and anyone who reacts negatively to trolling is simply overreacting in my opinion. Never mind completely leaving a site.
I think you are limiting yourself to the 'trolls' you deal with in Youtube that are indeed just poisoning text to stir up a fight. If you think you rather those type of trolls over spamming be my guest, as I stated in a past post, we might have a different image of troll.

The truth of the matter is when trolling happens over the internet both parties, despite how angry or malicious their words may appear, are sat at their computer screens completely indifferent to what is actually happened (I believe there's actually a rage comic demonstrating this).
Once again, that is not 'the truth of the matter' it is simply your opinon because, once again, you are limiting yourself to the mild troll that can be ignored. Also a rage-comic is a laughable place to say something can be demonstrated (still welcome to share with me for the giggles, was it this one? :P). But do not generalize that is as far as they can become. It is certainly not harmless fun for some victims and it is not just because they are wusses that can't cope with a bit of 'drama' or constant disagreeing. When I think of trolls I think on the ones that work similar to anonymous but in a smaller scale, still can get a phone number and call you day and night, still can affect your life and even to the point of leaving school, city, etc those ones that can bully a person to suicide and are not limited to public forums or youtube. So please, do not generalize that harmless fun is as far as they can become. It is certainly not harmless fun for some victims and it is not just because they are wusses that can't cope with a bit of 'drama' or constant disagreeing.

Spamming on the other hand can be used much more maliciously than people are letting on. Entire websites have to be shut down at times due to server load caused by spam. That's real damage. Not people ragequitting a forum due to a few trolls. If trolling were even half as damaging as people are letting on in some of these posts, you would see a "Report Troll" button rather than "Report spam" on youtube comments pages.
To get a website shut-down for server load you need to have people coordinated to post or visit. If that place gets shut down often, people will end up rage-quitting the forum o feel unenasy to post. Spamming in that sense is just a technique but it is still a troll behind it maliciously trying to destroy the community.

In the end, I think it is just we have a different opinion of trolls, perhaps it is a generation thing and now troll has been diluted to simply post something radical and opposite to stir movement wherever in the net. So I don't think we can really do much but agree to disagree in this matter. By stating why I think trolling is worse I am no way saying spamming it is not in itself a huge annoyance.

ADDED : This link may help better to have some sort of common ground.
I am think more in online high-end harassment used by malicious and/or destructive type of tolls mentioned in this article.

Last edited:

Pinhead101

Pokemon Master
I have a friend (Not really friend anymore) who pretty much trolls every minute if his life and not only on the internet. It gets really annoying pretty fast.
He just lies and says stupid stuff in general. Always putting people down.
So in some cases I'd have to say trolling is worse if there is no way you can escape it. Spamming can really only work effectively on the internet but anyone can troll and they can troll anywhere. Also, spamming has less value in the sense of humour so there is less motivation for people to spam and it is therefore less common.

Also, you should make this a poll.

I used to spam... but then I took a Ligh Arrow to the knee... just kidding, I think Spamming is horrible. Trolling is funny and fun to do. Spamming is just annoying that is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom