• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's the most violent video game you've ever played?

Video game violence is a very unique kind of violence because they let out control it and sometimes it can all be very graphic, so graphic that it occasionally makes the news and causes controversy.

What are the most violent games you've ever played and did you enjoy them?

Which games do you think cross the line of unnecessary violence?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Might be a pretty obvious answer but I think I'd have to say Manhunt.

I never played the whole game, and I haven't played it since, like, 2004, but the little of it I did play has stuck with me, especially the first kill.

The game has a tiered kill system. The longer you hold the button down the more brutal the kill will be and the more points or whatever you'll get. The first kill is a freebie to teach you this system and the weapon is a plastic bag. I honestly think that one kill has stuck with me more than any other kill in any other game. It put a really bad taste in my mouth and is probably why I never stuck with the game for very long.

Plenty of games I've played are plenty violent, and even more constantly violent than Manhunt, but usually it's tempered in some way. Like Halo, where the violence is abstracted by it being aliens you kill, or Resident Evil, where the violence is fantastical in nature. Dishonored has dismemberment, but only if you choose to do it, GTA has senseless violence, but only if you engage in it, and fighting games are usually framed as voluntary contests to some degree.

Manhunt, on the other hand, just felt mean. It was violence for the sake of the violence. I don't mean it 'glorified' violence because I truly believe it does the exact ****ing opposite. I mean that the game doesn't approach violence as something fun or something cathartic or something exciting. I also don't think it presents its violence in moral terms, making some kind of statement about violence and our relationship with it, like Spec Ops: The Line did. It's just violence for the sake of violence. The only thing it seems to want to deliver is acts of brutality for no other reason than that they are brutal.

And that makes it feel worse to me. It's not there to make me feel powerful, it's not there to make me feel vulnerable, it's not there to thrill me, or entertain me, or teach me a lesson about myself, society, or the media I experience. It's there to let me wrap a plastic bag around a man's head and punch his skull to mince as he asphyxiates.

And I don't want to do that :(

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Bayonetta, probably. Even then, its violence is more cartoonish than anything else, even with all the gore. Like Bayo pulling an entire torture rack out of thin air to rip a monster in half. I really don't care for heavy violence and gore, so that sort of thing really turns me off. I will never play the likes of Mortal Kombat.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Grand Theft Auto perhaps? I know that I played San Andreas when I was younger but I honestly don't remember that much about it so it must not have left too much of a negative (or positive) impact on me. I don't tend to enjoy violent content so I don't have much experience with these types of games.

MW7

I really enjoy the Hitman Series. I've played Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Blood Money, Absolution, and the new Hitman and Hitman 2. The levels are like giant puzzles and have great stealth gameplay. They are extremely violent though.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Skimming through my list of games, I guess I would have to say Grand Theft Auto V, given how the GTA series is synonymous with "violent video games" (even if there are more violent games out there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom