• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's the first Playstation game you played?

What's the first Playstation game you played?
On any Playstation console, TV or handheld.

I don't remember the times I have played a Playstation at conventinos or other events, so I'll say the first game I chose to play when I bought my first ever Playstation - PS4 Slim.

Dragon Quest Heroes

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'm pretty sure it was Mega Man X6 on a Playstation at a house I was babysat at for a time. I thought it was super cool at the time, but it's pretty clear on how flawed it is compared to other Mega Man X games now that I look back on it. I think Croc was another game I played there too pretty early on and then Spyro, though I couldn't tell you which one.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I got my first Playstation in 1998 (with Abe's Exoddus and Disney's Hercules) but basically everyone around me had one from '96, so I had been able to play well before that.

I'm not sure which game was the first I ever played on a Playstation, my memory isn't sharp enough for that, but it was one of three, at least, so I'll mention them all.

Resident Evil
My cousin David was that cousin who was about ten years older and, to a kid, seems like an adult, but one who's cool and not a total lame-o. My brother especially loved hanging out with him and we would stay over fairly often. Dave had a Playstation and I remember seeing the cover for Resident Evil on his floor (he was fourteen, the floor is a responsible storage solution when you're that age) and already being scared. Why is this big man with a big gun so scared? I figured playing the game would make me cool because I could tell people I played that totally scary game that's rated '15', so I put it on while Dave and my brother were outside playing football and promptly shat myself. Twenty-one years later I still love it.

Rayman
My other main source of a Playstation was my then-best friend, Mike, who was the means by which I played these next two games (I just can't remember which I played first). We were both utterly crap at Rayman and could only get as far as Band Land for a very long time. Rayman is like distilled nostalgia to me today. The soundtrack is so good, and the art style so unique, and seeing or hearing it is like time travel. It makes me feel all cozy and peaceful, in a sad way, as if the world back then was like living in the utopia of your favourite childrens' show. I don't know. I just associate it very strongly with being a kid in the 90s.

Discworld 2: Missing Presumed...!?
I do remember Mike telling me this was the only game he owned for his Playstation that he didn't like and I'm pretty sure that's why I wanted to play it so much. Also the cover was a crazy-looking wizard flying an out-of-control horse in front of a sunset. Mike might have hated it but I loved it, so much so that I promptly stole it from him when I got a Playstation of my own (what? He wasn't ever going to play it).

Without any exaggeration, Discworld 2 is the most important game I've ever played. It had a huge part in shaping my sense of humour (even introducing me to Monty Python), enamouring me with Fantasy as a genre, and, not least of all, introducing me to Discworld. Because of this game, I bought the books. Because I bought the books, I became an avid reader. Because I became an avid reader, I wanted to become a writer. I studied writing in university because of this game. I talk and joke the way I do because of this game. I love genre fiction because of this game. It's shaped me as a person more than almost anything else. I'd like to say it was my first Playstation game, since that would be very narratively satisfying, but I might have played Resi or Rayman before it.

Tell me this music doesn't make you want to go on a mysterious magical adventure:

The first Kingdom Hearts was the reason I bought my PS2, and I still think it's an awesome game. I'm still a very big fan of the series, and having my first non-Nintendo console led to me discovering other incredibly games series like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. I've been a Sony guy outside of Nintendo ever since.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ape escape is actually one of the earliest games i can remember playing, i was really young though as the first level is the only one i can remember
i also have a very faint memory of playing crash 3; these were my brother's games so i can only assume he sold them later on as i never saw them beyond the age of 5 or however old i was when i played them

I guess it was Guitar Hero or Singstar 80s or something. My cousins have a PS2, don't know if they still have it now, but I used to play on my cousins PS2 when I was 9 years old.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Frogger my neighbors and best friend had it. I played it more with my friend and we had a good time with the multiplayer part of it.

:wynaut:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
spyro-the-dragon-cover-us.jpg

Still absolutely one of my favorite games of all time. Especially Spyro Year of the Dragon.

I loved this series so much, and it was one of my first as well. It's a shame to see where it is today.

The PS1 was my very first Videogame console, and this was one of my very first games, and boy did it not let me down. It's a shames that only Nintendo and a few indies makes games like those that came out on PS1. It's rare to see indeed.

Kirino

Tatakae
Metal Gear Solid 4, which is actually the reason I bought a PS3 in the first place. I later got a PSP as well, and played a lot of PS1 and PS2 classics on both of them. I now own a PS4 and have been mostly a Sony gamer ever since, with my Xbox days being a distant memory at this point.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I came into this thread thinking final fantasy 7 on the original but now I think about it it was a friend of the family that owned it and he used to bring it over. Markasscop mentioned ape escape and I remember that game so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom