• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's the best Remaster/Remake you've ever played?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
My personal pick is Wind Waker HD. It looks stunning imo, and the gamepad management of the items really helps make things more nimble. Honorable mentions for me would be Shadow of the Colossus, OoT 3D and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age.

What's yours?

I'd say Wind Waker HD but the lighting is so wonky in places that it distracts me far too much while playing. The shortened animations, particularly for salvaging treasure, are so quick that it makes the Great Sea just feel like a puddle.

So I'm going to go with Shadow of the Colossus by Bluepoint.

They left it alone in the best way and only added things that were kept out of the way of the original experience.

The gameplay felt the same (once I turned the control scheme to the original set up on PS2) and the graphics were ****ing stunning. I haven't even played it in 4K because my TV only does 1080, but it's still one of the best looking games I've ever played.

Totally the best remake.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm also going to have to go for Wind Waker HD. It's the only remake I have played where the graphics look significantly improved over the original. I still dislike the proportions of the human characters but WWHD showed that cell shaded graphics can be beautiful with the proper lighting. Never once would I have said it would be pretty to look at a still from the original WW but the HD version does have some very aesthetic looking places indeed.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
It really depends on what context.

If we’re talking in terms of how good the game is in general, it’s have to be WWHD hands down.

However if we’re talking about how much it improved over the original, that ones a bit tougher. As much as I Love WWHD I don’t really think SD needed a remake, it was already a phenomenal game that really didn’t need all of the improvements it got. I actually think TPHD is more of an improvement over the original than WWHD (Not enough of an improvement to save TP, sadly). That being said I actually really enjoyed the remake of Mario 64. I know some people have their problems with it, and I do too, but the amount of stuff added just makes an already amazing game that much better.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes, the only thing the original has over this is the music, I think it's better overall in the PS1 version, otherwise The Twin Snakes is the primary way I play MGS1

also Metroid Zero Mission

Cfrock

Keep it strong
What with me considering remakes and remasters to be very different things, and what with my penchant for talking too much, I'll give you two answers.

Remaster - Spyro Reignited Trilogy
I've loved the original Spyro games since I was a child and replay them every single year. The desktop background on every laptop and PC I've had for about ten years has been a slideshow of Spyro levels. I just love them. They're simple, satisfying, beautiful games that have so much whimsy and childish fantasy about them that they charmed me as a kid and are one of the few things that still bring me a pure kind of joy.

I was glad to hear they were remastering them, but I was also worried in case they drained from the games the things I loved, which are kind of intangible and thus easy to mess up. But much to my delight the remaster took nothing from them. Gameplay is unchanged from the originals, meaning it feels identical to play. I can choose the original soundtrack (a masterwork by Stewart Copeland) over the new one. And it looks simply gorgeous. It's one of the most artistically beautiful games I have ever seen in my life. I just want to grab everything and take a big bite out of it, like a delicious cake.

The only changes of note are the dragon designs in the first game and some of the voices. The new dragon designs aren't bad, but they lack the regional consistency of the original, which I always liked from a world building perspective. As for voices, it's a rare issue, but some lines that have been branded in my mind for decades are delivered without much energy or character this time around, but this only affects some lines and I still hear them as they were in my head anyway.

The Spyro remaster is pretty much a straight upgrade of the original. The same game except it looks twelve thousand times better. Or is it fourteen thousand?

Remake - Resident Evil 2 (2019)
I recently did a whole blog about how much I love this game. It takes the core of the original — its premise, its basic narrative elements, and its design goals — and uses them to construct something that is familiar but entirely new at the same time. REmake2 captures the essence of the original but presents it in a way that is far more modern, not just in terms of gameplay but in terms of presentation, too. It successfully bridges the gap between late-90s survival horror titles and contemporary games by getting rid of clunky gameplay mechanics like tank controls and even loading screens and replacing them with direct action and the illusion of a persistent world.

This is one of the best horror games out there and you do yourself a disservice by not playing it.

Honourable Mentions
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Resident Evil (2002)
Hitman Contracts
Super Mario All-Stars
Ocarina of Time 3D
Majora's Mask 3D
The Wind Waker HD

Last edited:

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Ocarina of Time 3D. I love the look of the original and miss some of the aesthetic things it offered, but 3D is just so good and the gyro aim is a god send.

Ocarina of Time 3D. I love the look of the original and miss some of the aesthetic things it offered, but 3D is just so good and the gyro aim is a god send.
I've never been a fan of the Gyro aiming, but it's definitely a good remake, however my favorite remake has got to be Twilight Princess HD. In terms of Zelda games anyway.

For Mario games, I'm going to have to say Luigi's Mansion 3D. An honorable mention would be Super Mario All-Stars.

Anything outside Nintendo, I can't really judge because I don't have any remakes, only the originals.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. This is likely recency bias, but I still can't get over the sheer amount of content they added over the original. It brings nearly character character from the series on-board, all the tracks from Nitro Kart plus new courses, put in heaps of customisation and modes, I can't get over it. The gameplay blows over Mario Kart any day in my opinion, I just find it so ridiculously fulfilling to master in comparison.

The best port I've ever played - Dragon Quest XI-S
If you are ok with slightly lower textures, shadows and pop in, the Switch port is otherwise better than the PS4 original. It's amazing something this good is possible on mobile hardware. I totally recommend it for any turn based RPG fans.

The best remake/remaster I've played - A2MR (Another Metroid 2 Remake)
This remake is so much better than the official Samus Returns. A2MR is really one of the best Metroid games, on par with Super Metroid. Updates everything and removes all the annoyances the GB original had.

Honourable mentions - I have played
Tetris Attack
Link's Awakening DX
(Gameboy Color)
Hyrule Warriors (Switch)
Super Mario All Stars

Dishonourable mentions - Ports and Remakes/Remasters I feel are really terrible that I have played.
Spyro 1 (Japanese port)
Zelda Wind Waker (WiiU)
Secret of Mana (Switch/PS4)

PS. I'm ignoring the games that are ports and Remakes/Remasters in everything but name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom