• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What's So Scary/eerie About the Forest Temple Theme?

S

SpaceDust

The music was creepy it added atmosphere to the temple the only thing that scared me was the wallmasters i hate them.

Sstorm

Some Legends Never Die...
You know I have been really listening to this song a lot the past few days and I think the background track that plays underneath the sound effects and main "riff" (for lack of a better word)is what really makes it creepy/eerie

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
Creepy there was nothing creepy about it. The music was awesome and the design of the tempe was just beyond dazzling.
It was one of the best temple designs ever.

Last edited:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I wouldn't say scary as much as I would eerie. The Shadow Temple was scary. The forest temple took a huge jump from things, because it was the first temple that you encounter. The last dungeon you played was in Lord Jabu Jabu with all these colorful things going on with a humorous situation. Now you're in a dark place looking for your best friend who could or could not be dead while new enemies are around. The music itself is...wierd. If you listen closely, those high pitched sounds sound like Link grunting. Also, the fact that the forest temple is haunted does not improve it's pleasantry.

There aren't that many things that made the Forest Temple that scary or eerie. It seems scary because it's the first actual temple that you come across in the game, and that the theme for enemies found within the temple is along the lines or haunted mansion with the Staflos', Poe Sisters, Phantom Ganondorf, Wallmasters...etc. The Forest Temple is quite dark to, whereas the first 3 dungeons were quite light areas, which makes the temple seem scarier than it actually is too.

It's not along the lines of finding the Shadow Temple scary when you are young, or the Bottom of the Well (which being honest, still freaks me out sometimes).

OotLord1003

Young Link
When I first played OoT, I was quite frightened of the forest temple, the music made my heart pound...and the Wallmasters, dear god THE WALLMASTERS! I hated those things, and just that it felt like something from a scary movie. Ugh...forest temple.

Last edited:

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
It's considered scary and eerie because it's isolated, and the music especially helps in giving the sense that the temple is rather secluded and abandoned, completely forgotten by civilization and now only strange, foreign creatures inhabit the area.

lilwilly

Swordless Link
It is dark and it looks like ruins on the outside. It looks run down and abandoned by mankind and taken over by photosynthesis.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
I must be the biggest wuss here, because I found the Forest and Shadow Temples to be more than "eerie" or "creepy".

Even though the Forest Temple is my all-time favorite dungeon, it's isolation, dark atmosphere really sent me a few waves of chills when I was younger.

The Shadow Temple.....my worst nightmare. If you would have seen me getting the Sun Song you would have thought that I would have not stood a chance against the Temple. I don't remember exactly, but, it took me a good 3+ days to finish the Shadow Temple. I got lost a few times, 80% of the Temple is invisible, it's amazingly dark, getting attacked from things falling from the roof(not to mention invisible also), sitting there staring at redeads in fear for a few minutes.....I couldn't play the game if I was alone or if it was at night.

Bongo Bongo didn't make things that much better either.....

Don't even get me started on the well in Kakariko Village. D:

Sorry for going a little bit off topic =P. But yes the FOrest Temple theme is kind of freaky, mostly because of the "yelling" in the song.

STEVEN

Flat The Court Composer
I loved that temple it was so peaceful and filled with nature, It would be cool before the curse gandorf anchored in his phantom

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Well, the music was definitely creepy and mysterious, adding to the environment. The forest temple was probably scary for some people, because of the enemies, and because at times it was pitch black. There were also vines hanging from the ceiling and walls, which might show that it was probably abandoned and wasn't visited in a long time. Probably, the most uncanny part of the Forest Temple was the weird paintings, half of which you do not even know what it is of. So, all of these factors help awaken the fear and suspicion of the Forest Temple.

Everything about the Forest Temple adds to its overall theme, and I think it does it very well. The Forest Temple has always been one of my favorite dungeons in Ocarina of Time, along with the Spirit Temple and Water Temple. I might go as far to say it's my favorite of my three favorites, with the Spirit Temple second and the Water Temple third. But I like the Shadow and Fire Temples as well...

Anyway, a lot of things add up to the Forest Temple's overall theme:
1. The music. It is strangely eerie and enchanting.
2. The environment. It resembles more of a ruined, haunted mansion than a temple or place of worship. There are outside courtyards filled with Big Deku Babas, Skulltulas, and Octoroks as well as interior rooms with paintings and symbols of the doors.
3. The enemies. While not all of the enemies are foresty, they all fit very well into the dungeon's "eerie" feeling. For example, there are Big Deku Babas, Skulltulas, and Wolfos for "foresty" enemies. For eerie or spooky enemies, there are Stalfos, Bubbles, Poes who hide in Paintings, Wallmasters, and a Floormaster.
4. The boss. While he's not a Foresty boss, he fits PERFECTLY into the theme of Ocarina's Forest Temple and is just perfect for the dungeon. And the room in which you fight him is also extremely fitting for the Forest Temple, especially because of the spooky paintings.

And that is why I love the Forest Temple.

MrLuigi

Theorist
I hate the place, knowing that it used to be a mansion. Then some some creepy green haired little girl is in there. The music is downright bone-chilling. The courtyard is an actual courtyard, looking up you see castle turrets. In the boss room there are those paintings, I mean what was that room for before Ganon? The well system, period. Four poes lurking about, not the poes themselves but why they're there.

All in all, the place needs to be nuked.

TwilightMaster7

~Master of Twilight~
I hate the place, knowing that it used to be a mansion. Then some some creepy green haired little girl is in there. The music is downright bone-chilling. The courtyard is an actual courtyard, looking up you see castle turrets. In the boss room there are those paintings, I mean what was that room for before Ganon? The well system, period. Four poes lurking about, not the poes themselves but why they're there.

All in all, the place needs to be nuked.

But it wouldn't be a traditional Zelda game if you could just drop bombs on all of the temples and defeat the bosses like that.
You'd ruin all of the exploration and fighting and it wouldn't seem right at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom