• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask What's So Great About Majoras Mask? (Just Wondering)

L

liz lemonade

When I first bought this game, I only played it for about an hour before I gave up completely. I tried it again after beating OOT for the first time, but found it so different that I just didn't like it. When I finally played through the whole game a few months ago, it trumped Ocarina totally. It's my favorite video game of all time.

It's much darker, more creepy. The urgency given by the moon makes everything you do feel so much more important. There is a lot of poignancy within the game as well, especially when completing certain side quests. The scene with Pamela and her father is one of the most tearjerking scenes I've ever seen in a video game.

Plus it has the Song of Healing, which is probably my most favorite Zelda song ever.

PS - I love Woodfall Temple so much. I want to buy an udu so I can record a cover of the temple music.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
Liz Lemonade, I had the same problem. Tried, hated it, went back, realized the darkness and awesomeness of it, got sucked into it

And now I have the goron mask 8D

H

Hyrules_Ruler

I'm with you... I beat it just to say I did and HAVEN'T HAD ANY USE FOR IT SINCE. Ill play it if I'm in a zeldathon someday...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
For me the greatest things is the atmosphere. When you first walk outside the Clock Tower you notice a bustling populace striving to make ready for their annual celebration. But as it turns out, nothing is getting done. As you step out you see why--a huge Moon is lingering over the town, and the townspeople aren't preparing, because they're too stirred by its appearance in the daytime. You spot workers running around in bewilderment, uncertain whether or not they should finish or bolt, and others watching the Moon slowly descend closer. But this is not the only strange event impacting Termina.

Outside Clock Town's walls the surrounding inhabitants have been cast into turmoil as well. Evil looms in the heart of their Temples, and its effects are pouring out over the Four Realms, respectively. Altogether this spreads a dark ambience over the land as all Terminans look to the only plausible cause of their misfortune, and all because of a never-ending laugh: the Skull Kid. None know what can be done against one who can throw witches off their brooms, poison the center of Temples, and even bring down a menacing Moon. But he is only the victim to the Mask he wears, which feeds his need to spread mischief, and overall snips the threads of Termina's patchwork until it tears asunder.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
Majora's Mask is far from a clone of anything. It's so very unique. Sure the graphics are similar to OoT, better even, but so what? The game itself and everything about it is so awesome and weird and unlike anything else I've ever played.

geek4887

The Unknown
This game is amazing! Sure, it's a couple dungeons short, but the story, atmosphere, difficulty, side quests, and basically all of the content of it makes up for it! Now, I never really finished the game yet (Great Bay Area still:P), so I'm not the person to ask, but from what I've played so far, probably my 3rd favorite Zelda game. It's on the darker end of the game, so it definitely got me! It's totally different from any Zelda game out there, and mainly ANY video game out there. The time limit sorta freaked me out at first, and the thing that you lose everything and start over again drove me crazy, but I think it's not that bad. I think that this game deserves more praise. I wish for Nintendo to make another game similar to this one! :D

LordFire

King of Fire
Some people spend a LOT of time on their post, I see. Well, at least one person did. I guess I should do the same as well... Nah.
But anyways, there are a lot of things to like about The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask. If you really can't find any thing good about the game I'll rip out my hair.

Majoras Mask, in my opinion, didn't revolve around dungeons. It revolved more around side quests than the actual temples and defeating Majora. People in the game followed regular schedules in the three day cycle which makes the game a lot easier in the sidequests area, if you know how to bend that to your advantage.

The whole three days to beat the game made the game challenging to people like me who decided not to play the Song of Time whenever completing part of the game. Then you'd have to play it in a temple and it'd mess up your whole day.
It made the game a little more stressful, which I liked. And instead of looking at the clock, I usually just look up since the moon actually moves (slowly, that is).

The game itself was dark, Majora was an entity of chaos which wanted to destroy the world for no stated reason. The Skull Kid picked up the mask after he had left the Lost Woods after being rejected by the others. People had their lives affected by the moon, (look at the Anju and Kafei sidequest), and it gave the land of Termina more character than that of Hyrule.

The multitude of masks in the game gave it a lot of different strategies which could be used to beat the game. Also they provided endless fun for me in my spare time. The transformation masks made Link a completely different person, altering the game play I ways I never knew existed.

For me, Majoras Mask holds a special place in my heart.

W

Well Excuse Me

Holy mother of epic posts, Erebea. What a treat of a read! I like Marjora's Mask just for what it was able to do. It took recyled aspects of Ocarina of Time and made a very good game out of it while constructing a very good story around that. That is pretty unbelievable considering how many people with all of the technological developments made today still find it difficult to make a good game.

Last edited by a moderator:

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Just because MM has the same design and alot of the same enemies as OOT does not make it a clone, it's probably the most original Zelda game yet imo.
Anyway, MM is a great game because it exels in ways that few other games in the series do. It has a dark, twisted atmosphere that is completely unique to this game in the series. It has great, memorable characters who have very developed backstories and are interacted with on a much higher level that most other Zelda titles. There are a ton of sidequests to do and a ton of masks to get that can all do different things. The dungeons and overworld are very well-designed. The music is some of the best in the series(Stone Tower Temple theme FTW). You get to be a Goron, Zora, Deku, and a God in addition to your normal form. The game is also very deep and emotional at times.
What really makes this game so great though, is that it is isn't just a game, it's art.

That's a big question!

Well my dear ZeldaDungeonee. The reason Majora's Mask is considered the best game in the franchise by most Zelda fans ( Fans who've played a lot of the games I mean ) is because there's so much to do. While if I said that were the only reason why it's considered the best I'd by lying.

Firstly ... Majora's Mask has a great story. It's a much more intuitive and powerful story and it just grabs you in and doesn't let go. Sure when you think about it it's not that much of a story but, think about it a bit more and you'll see that it's a lot bigger than you think and there's a lot more to it than most other Zelda games. On top of that all the sidequests in the game also have stories of there own, obviously. All that adds into a game with so much going on story-wise that it's hard not to love! The Anju and Kafei quest, Romani and Cremia's story. Those big ones obviously have neat stories and you may overlook the littler quests but come on an invisible guy who's hurt! That's pretty cool too.

Now more onto sidequests. If you're not a fan of sidequests Majora's Mask will make you a fan of them. On a game that focuses on sidequests, the sidequests need to be done RIGHT. A lot of zelda games do them right, but some others do them wrong. Majora's Mask does them greatly. You really care for the characters you're helping! I actually feel a connection with the in game people and not many games make me feel that way. After helping them all you'll see what I mean. The way the time works with the sidequests is genius to say the least!

Speaking about the in game timer! That is another great thing about Majora's Mask. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the in game timer because there's nothing to complain about! Slowing down the time with the Inverted Song of Time gives you 3 hours to play. That's more than enough to complete any dungeon at all. The way the clock works is amazing. I loved it when I was 5 and I love it now. It can be nerve wrecking and could ruin your entire run through the infamous Great Bay Temple or the rugged and deadly Stone Tower Temple but I'm sure you'll be able to overlook that. It works so well, and makes the game a lot more involved.

Finally we get to the dungeons. This game has three of the greatest dungeons in zelda history. There are about 6 Dungeons in total and four dungeons with BIG BOSSES. The three amazing dungeons that stick out in my mind are the Woodfall, The Great Bay and obviously The Stone Tower Temple. I'm not going to go into too much detail as to why these dungeons are amazing but I'll give a brief explanation. The Woodfall temple is one of the best first dungeons in any zelda game and has good music. The Great Bay is a challenging one and keeps you on your toes wondering where those fairies are and it also has nice music. Finally The Stone Tower Temple.. well this temple deserves a topic thread of it's own just to explain it in detail but in short, it's very creative, very tough and has one of the best if not the best music in Zelda history..

Oh and speaking of which.. Majora's Mask also has one of the best soundtracks in any Zelda Game too!! Milk Bar, Stone Tower, Deku Palace, Overworld, Clocktown day 1,2,3 , Area Theme for swamp, mountain, bay and canyon are all great! and so much more!

You NEED to play this game to call yourself a hardcore zelda fan. It's probably not the best one to start with as it is somewhat challenging but, it's a required one to play and beat if you want to even think about calling yourself a TRUE Fan..

S

SilverLinkx

I just like the fact you get so emotionaly caught up with the characters you only have 5 minutes left before the moon crashes, then you have to put those who live in Termina through the same horrific 3 day cycle. They forget who you are and what you did for them.

the game also has a lot of dark mystery to it, a good example is the Stone Tower Temple.

In my opinion it's one of the best Zelda games to date.

As everyone has said, that mostly what I say. Majoras Mask is far better than OoT in my perspective, I like tricky game that keeps you from winning the first time, but running all the way up the stairs trying not to get hurt, set Majoras Mask to a better Final Boss traveling less anoyingly. Dont get me wrong I love both games, but MM is more seemingly epic than OoT. My two cousins played a downloaded MM on a commputer and thought it was a thing you can completley ignore, "i just dont care about it" that ticked me off so much because I love Majoras Mask:mad:. How do I get them to play it more and beat it, setting them to care far more for it!?!-.-

Tictalk

Anouki
People love it because it was so in depth, dark, had so much content, gave you different masks to keep it interesting, and really defined a good video game that modern zelda games have yet to master. :)

X

XBLADE30

I like it just because it's so different from the rest of the series yet it still feels like a Zelda game. It proves Nintendo can change up the formula without screwing something up. A lot of people don't like the time aspect. I however, love the time aspect because it makes you think just a little more than normal. Don't look at the time limit as a burden, control time to your advantage. You'll have a lot more fun that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom