• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's next in the series?

So, seeing that Nintendo and the lead devs of Breath of the Wild have already admitted to Legend of Zelda's next title being in development, I would assume this means they want the Switch to recieve (albeit towards the end of its life) a second large scale LoZ title before this current generation's life is up.

That left me to begin thinking; they've crafted a large, immensely detailed world that even a good bit of non LoZ fans consider one of the most well crafted open worlds to date. Are they going to scrap that effort entirely and create another Hyrule open world or are they going to tune up the one that Breath of the Wild had to fit the next game? That would be very out of character for Nintendo IMO. Do they want to begin having a more "official" map of Hyrule, that BOTW's would resemble?

Personally, I'd like to see Termina make a return in a new large scale game (not a Majora's Mask remake) but i'm kinda doubting that idea's viability - and my lore knowledge of LoZ is pretty weak though I do love the series to all hell.

This all being said, what's your theories on where the series will go next?

Last edited:
I'd like to see Nintendo make a direct sequel to Skyward Sword, and explore the roots of Hyrule's foundation well before the events of Ocarina of Time.

-A prequel to BotW.
-A sequel to FSA; showing us more of Ganon II would be great, since he's appeared in only one game so far.
-A sequel to SS, as SotH said.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I'd really like to see something more inspired by OoT, like TP was. It may be obvious by my username, but I really like the N64 Zelda games. That said, something about Hyrule's origin would be nice, especially since many people didn't like the game. If the next game is as BotW as BotW was, I probably won't buy it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
They should continue with the mechanics introduced in Breath of the Wild.

Things I want:

1) No intrusive storytelling. Breath of the Wild featured Zelda's best, most concise opening segment. It didn't feel like an extended and boring tutorial, and beyond that the game didn't force the player to stop what they were doing to check in on some secondary characters we're told we have to worry about. While I wouldn't mind seeing something set before Breath of the Wild, I don't want it to involve heavy story. While some players weren't a fan of the memory system, I liked it. It felt like I was trying to piece together the events leading up to Hyrule's fall long after it had fallen.

2) Dungeon design. Prior to Breath of the Wild, most 3D Zeldas lacked real puzzles. What they had were rooms you immediately knew the answer to, but lacked the tool to solve. Instead of requiring puzzle solving, the dungeons were spent opening chests until you found the necessary tool to proceed onward. The Divine Beasts didn't feature any Item of the Week, so they featured actual puzzles. It was a refreshing change of pace.

3) Discovery-oriented gameplay. The biggest problem with the previous entries in the series is that they feature no exploration. Games like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess operate under a lock and key system that discourages player agency. You find an item and use it to unlock a segment of the world, where you find another item that unlocks another section of the overworld. By the time you have access to the entire world, everything exciting about it is gone.

Breath of the Wild locked very little away from the player that could not be accessed through resourcefulness and skill. Even the rain that impedes climbing can be overcome with good stamina management and a hefty supply of food.

Things I don't want:

1) Another soft spoken love interest with no personality. And if you're going to push a bad romance on the player, at least commit.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I want SS HD, but for an actual new game, I would like to see these things:

• An open world with more quality than quantity
  • Items that help with progression
  • More dungeons than BoTW by at least 4
  • Dungeons that can be defeated multiple ways (Using the items found in the overworld). The way this would work is that each dungeon is doable with no items, and each dungeon is doable with one or more (any) of the items found in the open world. This means that it encourages you to find items to complete dungeons differently later on in the game or on another playthrough. THis is simple, and solves literally all needs by the zelda fans
  • More Skyrim-like dungeons, instead of shrines.

I'm not opposed to another BOTW-ish game. But there definitely needs to be some changes.

- Fill the world: Wandering for miles and only encountering an enemy hideout giving you 5 Arrows is worthless, as is wandering only to find a Korok.
- Dungeons need attention: We had "5" Dungeons (Counting Champion's Balled) and they were decent, albeit repetitive. As said above, we need more than just that few.
-Bosses: Dear lord. By far the biggest disappointment of BOTW in my eyes. Every Boss was literally the same thing with a different element/weapon and Thunderblight had "lightning strikes". No creativity whatsoever. The bosses are something I've looked forward to for years as a Zelda fan, and this was an enormous letdown.
- Enemies: We had what 7? 7 different enemies in the game and instead of including more, we get threatening color swaps to show they're super serious about trying to kill us. Seriously, Zelda 1 had more creativity than that. Not to mention Bosses and "field bosses" (ie. Molduga, Hinox, and Talus) we're all meant to be imposing but were nothing compared to Lynels who weren't even bosses at all.

That being said, BOTW takes place centuries into the future of any, if not all, of the timelines. This give us an enormous gap to fill in with quite a few more games, here's hoping they fix the above.

I'm not opposed to another BOTW-ish game. But there definitely needs to be some changes.

- Fill the world: Wandering for miles and only encountering an enemy hideout giving you 5 Arrows is worthless, as is wandering only to find a Korok.
- Dungeons need attention: We had "5" Dungeons (Counting Champion's Balled) and they were decent, albeit repetitive. As said above, we need more than just that few.
-Bosses: Dear lord. By far the biggest disappointment of BOTW in my eyes. Every Boss was literally the same thing with a different element/weapon and Thunderblight had "lightning strikes". No creativity whatsoever. The bosses are something I've looked forward to for years as a Zelda fan, and this was an enormous letdown.
- Enemies: We had what 7? 7 different enemies in the game and instead of including more, we get threatening color swaps to show they're super serious about trying to kill us. Seriously, Zelda 1 had more creativity than that. Not to mention Bosses and "field bosses" (ie. Molduga, Hinox, and Talus) we're all meant to be imposing but were nothing compared to Lynels who weren't even bosses at all.

I absolutely agree with these complaints, my personal want would be for a Twilight Princess style game with the expansive size of BOTW, I really miss temples personally. Divine Beasts felt short and lacked combat comparatively; I loved TP, OOT and MM dungeons for example.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I would like another open world game, but more like aLttP where you can do the dungeons in any order and get items in each dungeon to strengthen yourself, and I would scrap the weapons breaking, I was never very good at item management (I defeated most enemies with remote bombs since I had no other way).

I was thinking perhaps a return to the Great Sea, revisit Outset Island and Windfall, add some new ones as well of course and more towns. But wherever the game takes place, bring back the item upgrade mechanics from SS. Yeah scrap weapon breaking, that was really silly. Also I think potions and Inns should have more importance, so keep going with the no heart drops from enemies/grass cutting. However, not really interested in bringing back cooking.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I only got BoTW a few weeks ago. The world feels like it'd be a good template, I don't think it should be thrown away. They could very easily make a prequel game set in relatively the same world, with maybe some additional areas to explore, and that option should be greatly considered.

But what is certain, they should keep on the track of openworld games, to release a game like, for instance, Skyward Sword, after BoTW, would feel like backtracking. I wouldn't mind having dungeons again though.

I'm fine with the physics and runes and open world and basically all BotW did coming back in the next game...

What I don't want is another post apocalyptic setting.

I really want a BotW style game that looks definitively Zelda. The game has changed so much that I think the visuals should contrast it with looking 110% like traditional Zelda.
Like Smash Ultimate Zelda design.

I understand BotW went so new in every aspect but if the games are gonna change further I'd like the visuals to be pure Zelda. None of this blue shirt nonesense.

As for narrative... if the game is gonna carry on BotW's physics etc. Then I want the game to be set in the established timeline we know. None of this 10,000 year old backstory plus whatever gap is actually between whatever the last game before BotW was.

And within the timeline I want this next game to mix things up and be as important as OoT. Something timeline shaking. Something like a convergeance or alternate reality and deliver a fresh timeline where the other games have no place.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
-A prequel to BotW.
-A sequel to FSA; showing us more of Ganon II would be great, since he's appeared in only one game so far.
-A sequel to SS, as SotH said.

This. I could see Nintendo starting up a multiplayer Zelda series. With FSA as a loose basis (or better yet, the first game in the series), I could see the handheld team being tapped to develop two more games before the Switch's time is up incorporating gameplay inspired by FSA into a duo of multiplayer games.

At least, I would like a duo. OoA and OoS were so satisfying, I would love to see two multiplayer Zelda games developed and released simultaneously. Obviously, there are plenty of reasons this won't happen, but I do think that a multiplayer Zelda on Switch in the vein of FSA would sell with the advent of truly excellent Nintendo online services and processing power to rock an insane amount of detail in a top-down FSA-style game.

It would also be a boon to the online service, giving people an extra reason to pay 20 bucks a year. Zelda is THE only franchise for which I would ever pay real-world dollars for aesthetic upgrades. Please, Nintendo, release a duo of FSA-inspired Zelda games for the Switch which allow for players to roll through levels as a team using the power of the Four Sword to vanquish evil and restore order to Hyrule. The two games can and should be compatible with one another, special items can be transferred, aesthetic upgrades, "secret codes" (a la OoA and OoS), online connectivity, local multiplayer, message-bottle style community networking (a la WWHD)...Heck, it'd be sick if you could make it so we could use our actual Oracle codes in this game to gain certain rings (which are my number one Zelda mechanic that needs to return). Please give me the game duo I need. You're sure to make a butt-load of money on a game pair that would be cheap(ish) to produce in house! Keep the 3DS relevant by releasing it on the hand-held and making it all compatible. Dudes, I want this bad.

Use the Octopath Traveller method of HD2D to make the games relevant, use online connectivity to promote your new online service, use the joy-cons to encourage couch co-op! Nintendo is the final bastion of couch co-op and needs to promote it with these sorts of opportunities! Give me some Amiibo compatibility! Give me a port of Tetra's Trackers for beating the game with no deaths! Give me a level-builder crammed into this Switch cartridge! I am handing you golden ideas here, take them for free and IMPLEMENT THEM!!!

1. Make FSA2
2. ???
3. Profit!!!!!

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Since I don't believe that BotW is canon, I'd say the next in there series is... a post-ST game. I'm thinking we get those old overgrown spirit tracks scattered about the world as a new threat arises. I think it would be a lot of fun to explore the Land of the Spirits of Good more. plus, Adult timeline is really the only one with any more room to expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom