• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Whats Missing from Majora's Mask? Ocarina of Time?

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I think that MM fixed OoT's weaknesses (Yes fanboys, there WERE faults) but lacked some of OoT's strengths.

OoT needed more character development, higher difficulty, exploration, more sidequests, bigger towns, more emotions (OoT never really made me feel sad, scared or excited. It was all very monotone for me) and less linear gameplay.

MM needed a more detailed story (even though I like MM's unique story over OoT's traditional Zelda story, MM's needed more detail and twists) more dungeons, and lengthier gameplay. I also think that many of MM's masks were only used once or never at all (Like Bremen, Scents, Keaton, Circus Leader, etc.) and more masks should have been implemented that could be used over and over again. I never once used the Circus Leader's Mask because it was literally useless.

L

Lucrei

Both are amazing games, but for some reason, they seem to capitalize on the others' weaknesses.
That's a very poectic statement, and I think it really rings true. They truly supplement each other, and are better experienced together than apart.

Just to add some commentary to the rest of your post:

OoT lacks the characters that MM had. The characters were way better in MM, mainly in development and actual use.
That's what's key. It was through there use that they were more developed. Because MM traded some main quest development and length in favor of a huge variety of sidequests (the use), the characters were fleshed out more (i.e. development). However, Ocarina of Time had that same pool of potential, it just wasn't utilised.

OoT also doesn't have the difficulty that MM had, despite the fact that there were way more dungeons in OoT. Same could be said for sidequests really, but that depends on whether or not you think sidequests in trade for main quest is good or not.
Personally, I don't see it as a preference. I enjoy both - however I think if you were to combine both elements you might have a game too large for most gamers. I don't think the average Zelda player is up for an 80+ game. Leave that to the RPGs. However that would be my preference.

MM's story wasn't as compelling as OoT's, since OoT focused on the main stream characters, and was overall deeper than what I thought MM had (definitely not as emotional, though). Length is also an issue I think, with dungeons being sacrificed for sidequests.
I think you might be getting caught up in an idea of "plot" vs "characters". Both of these things make up the story or narrative. Whilst Ocarina of Time had the better plot, with greater twists, Majora's Mask certainly possessed better themes, character development and realism. Your comment about Ocarina not being as emotional as MM, is indicative of the fact that Ocarina's world and characters, and therefore over-encompassing story, is not fleshed out. MM's plot, whilst smaller in scope and with less twists, is much more fleshed out through it's characters and the events that unfold in Termina.

Difficulty, plain and simple. OoT was a joke in terms of difficulty if you ask me.​
I'm going to have to disagree with this and say that is just how you personally found it.

Also are you sure you're not viewing the difficulty in retrospect? I'll admit now, it's dead easy - because I know all the patterns off by heart and the correct strategies to defeat enemies with ease. On my first playthrough though? Nah-uh.

Plus, you need to consider this series is marketed at a young audience as well. They need to make sure the puzzles are solveable, at the very least by trial and error (even if the solution can be found logically) to ensure it's playable for kids.

Also, the story lacked compelling characters...​
I certainly agree with all this, but just a point in regards to Ganondorf. Whilst I agree he probably wasn't as fleshed out as character, particularly regarding his motives, he still has a tremendous presence. I think that's the reason the game got away with such little character development - the character's themselves just carried so much presence naturally - through their design, vocality etc.

Exploration for the same reasons as in OoT.​
Have to disagree here. This game is BASED on sidequests. More than 50% of the game is completing things that aren't part of the main quest. I think you might have to elaborate more on this...

Difficulty. MM was a little harder than OoT, but not by much... And Majora's Wrath didn't hit me once.
Once again, are you viewing this in retrospect? I honestly get the feeling you are - particularly considering that last statement (bold). The only way I could see that as being plausible the first time you beat Majora's Wrath, is if you used the Fierce Deity's mask - and if you did that, you haven't really beaten him at all.

That being said, I could be wrong, and you could be a super Zelda god. If you are, I apologise. It just seems unlikely.

Also, I agree with Majora16's points. Very concise reasoning.

I think OoT lacks connections to the player. Have you ever played subspace emisary on SSBB? You go through and get almost everyone, an that green guy is with an army of ROBs. When ganon tells the ROBs to kill the green guy, that is a sad part. That is what truely connects to the player and makes you feel sorry for the poor guy. Even though he was an antagonist, you still felt sorry for him that shows what nintendo is aiming for now days and what they should have done earlier. I certinly hope OoT3D will have some of that.

Zora Link

I hate being nice. D:
Majora's Mask needed more dungeons? Let's see now:

1. Woodfall Temple
2. Snowhead Temple
3. Pirate's Fortress
4. Great Bay Temple
5. Gibdo Well
6. Ancient Castle of Ikana
7. Stone Tower Temple
8. Surface of the Moon

Also, if OoT had the sage medallions as usable items, they would probably be crappy one-use items. And the fire medallion would be useless, since there's already Din's Fire and Fire Arrows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom