• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What You Think "Game of The Year" Will Be.

Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 opened up to Metascores of 94 and 93, respectively. Batman: Arkham City retains its spot as the highest rated game of the year. Now, The elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword are the only games with real possibilities of dethroning Batman.

I kinda want batman to win GOTY, it's the biggest surprise of the year ( not the fact that it's good, the fact that it's that good) and this year the GOTY runner ups are established fanchaises (Zelda TAS) so it would be nice for a relatively new ip to win( it's not really new, but compared to it's competition it is)
Normally I would want Zelda to win, but the new info really bumbd me out

M

MasterSword101

i definetly hope LoZ: Skyward Sword wins... I mean, I don't really enjoy The Elder Scrolls series as much as love Zelda! :lol: Seriously, i enjoy playing COD or Uncharted 3, but Skyward sword will certainly be a thing that everybody will say
"Skyward Sword FTW!!!!" Know what i'm saying? :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
But I never really Liked The Elder Scrolls and could never get into Oblivion especially so Im sticking with Skyward Sword.

Skyrim is based on fallout's gameplay, not Oblivion. Fallout 3 was brilliant, though I hated new Vegas. I really hope Skyward Sword will win, but the comments are all filled with Skyrim this, and Skyrim that. Zelda seems not to be mentioned as much, although more than the other contenders. I think either could win, but I will be dissapointed if Skyward Sword does not, because it will be the game which is more fun and I think we will really get to like some of the characters, allot more than in Skyrim. In games like that I murder everybody I can get away with killing, so I rarely find anyone I actually like. Skyrim gets allot of praise for its graphics and visuals, to be honest I think it looks amazing. Allot of people judge a game by how it looks. Skyward sword is very pretty, but is not in HD and some things just can't be done with the Wii because of it's lack of power. People will judge it for those reasons. One of the reviewers already has deducted points for it's lack of HD. I'm going to be honest here. Skyrim looks better visually to me, not the world itself, (Skyward sword's world is truly stunning and is perfect for a fantasy game, especially the floating islands with waterfalls pouring from the sides)just the textures and physics. Imagine how awesome Ghirahim would look in Skyrim's world. If Skyward sword looked more like skyrim and was on the wii U. It would win, hands down. People would not be talking Skyrim, they would be talking Zelda.

Skyrim is based on fallout's gameplay, not Oblivion. Fallout 3 was brilliant, though I hated new Vegas. I really hope Skyward Sword will win, but the comments are all filled with Skyrim this, and Skyrim that. Zelda seems not to be mentioned as much, although more than the other contenders. I think either could win, but I will be dissapointed if Skyward Sword does not, because it will be the game which is more fun and I think we will really get to like some of the characters, allot more than in Skyrim. In games like that I murder everybody I can get away with killing, so I rarely find anyone I actually like. Skyrim gets allot of praise for its graphics and visuals, to be honest I think it looks amazing. Allot of people judge a game by how it looks. Skyward sword is very pretty, but is not in HD and some things just can't be done with the Wii because of it's lack of power. People will judge it for those reasons. One of the reviewers already has deducted points for it's lack of HD. I'm going to be honest here. Skyrim looks better visually to me, not the world itself, (Skyward sword's world is truly stunning and is perfect for a fantasy game, especially the floating islands with waterfalls pouring from the sides)just the textures and physics. Imagine how awesome Ghirahim would look in Skyrim's world. If Skyward sword looked more like skyrim and was on the wii U. It would win, hands down. People would not be talking Skyrim, they would be talking Zelda.

I agree. Graphics don't make a game. In fact, graphics are just icing on the cake. Many times a stylized graphical style stands out more than realistic one. Skyward Sword also shows magnificent character interaction from what I've seen in the trailers. The Skyloftian Bazaar is filled with all sorts of activity. Zelda finally plays a more integral role in the franchise. The desolation of the land below provides a juxtaposition to the happiness above. Both enemies and bosses require strategy to defeat. A seamless blending exists between the overworld and dungeons. And Skyward Sword is sure to push motion controls more than any game before it. If Game of the Year recognizes revolution, then Skyward Sword meets the requirement.

Skyward Sword has a chance, but based on all the other releases this holiday season, it doesn't have much of one. I think Batman: Arkham City will earn bragging rights because it has recieved nearly perfect reviews so far (yet so has Skyward Sword), but is on multiple platforms that have higher fan bases (Skyward Sword does not. Fan-wise, it comes close, but not close enough.) Arkham City is my pick, with Skyward Sword in a very close second.

I want Zelda to win. But it is very hard to come to a conclusion. I simply cannot play all the great games that are coming. Who knows, Mario 3D could be better than all the other games out there this year but I cannot tell until I play them, But I cannot play them all. I cannot play Batman, Portal, TES etc. I can play some but not all. I want Zelda to win though, Zelda always mangae to balance gameplay, visual style and fun factor in a single piece. SS seemes to deliver a gratifying experience not many games give to us this days. I cannot say until I get it, but considering some early reviews and what it has been shown form the game this is likely to be one of the finest pieces of gaming. But we will see. Zelda is likely to win in various sites.

But even so, I have to say Zelda stands for me for its creativity and the only game that does not care to create stylish, realistic graphics. Instead Zelda tries to create a fantasy world through a colourful and artistic style that simply looks and feels different from others. It does something that the industry does not want to do but it is what it need, colour, creativity and a style that inspires life and creativity from the player. This is something few developers are doing this days and that is why I am glad Nintendo decided to do this with Zelda. Gameplay wise the game that wins has to be fun. That is key above else, it must be fun, creative, inmersive. No matter how short or long it is. Graphics do not make the game better to certain degree, but are still important. What is more important is artstyle and not many games have done much with the horsepower of the current generation. They do realistic graphics but do not create an artistic impression through the visuals. SS is doing just this. And I really think that is the reason Zelda stands out. That is the reasons the unerpowered console has the best graphics, because they are not trying to blow you with polygons and effects, they are trying to impress through the beauty and creativity of the artstyle. Not many developers do this anymore.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
I'm sorry all you guys saying Skyward sword i think Zelda has no chance whatsoever. Batman it just too good. Perfect, there I said it perfect. People who say a perfect game doesnt exist havn't played this game. Skyrim? Please. Batman is amazing in every single way. Nothing is wrong with this game. Seamless combat great stealth and story, amazing and interesting side missions, and a ton of challenge maps and riddler content. Batman also has over 10 10/10's for those of you who really like metacritic.

I want Zelda to win. But it is very hard to come to a conclusion. I simply cannot play all the great games that are coming. Who knows, Mario 3D could be better than all the other games out there this year but I cannot tell until I play them, But I cannot play them all. I cannot play Batman, Portal, TES etc. I can play some but not all. I want Zelda to win though, Zelda always mangae to balance gameplay, visual style and fun factor in a single piece. SS seemes to deliver a gratifying experience not many games give to us this days. I cannot say until I get it, but considering some early reviews and what it has been shown form the game this is likely to be one of the finest pieces of gaming. But we will see. Zelda is likely to win in various sites.

But even so, I have to say Zelda stands for me for its creativity and the only game that does not care to create stylish, realistic graphics. Instead Zelda tries to create a fantasy world through a colourful and artistic style that simply looks and feels different from others. It does something that the industry does not want to do but it is what it need, colour, creativity and a style that inspires life and creativity from the player. This is something few developers are doing this days and that is why I am glad Nintendo decided to do this with Zelda. Gameplay wise the game that wins has to be fun. That is key above else, it must be fun, creative, inmersive. No matter how short or long it is. Graphics do not make the game better to certain degree, but are still important. What is more important is artstyle and not many games have done much with the horsepower of the current generation. They do realistic graphics but do not create an artistic impression through the visuals. SS is doing just this. And I really think that is the reason Zelda stands out. That is the reasons the unerpowered console has the best graphics, because they are not trying to blow you with polygons and effects, they are trying to impress through the beauty and creativity of the artstyle. Not many developers do this anymore.
I disagree. Zelda combat has never been very challenging, at least not the 3-D. Twilight princess and WW and OOT and MM are all press B to win. Never balanced.

Last edited:
I'm sorry all you guys saying Skyward sword i think Zelda has no chance whatsoever. Batman it just too good. Perfect, there I said it perfect. People who say a perfect game doesnt exist havn't played this game. Skyrim? Please. Batman is amazing in every single way. Nothing is wrong with this game. Seamless combat great stealth and story, amazing and interesting side missions, and a ton of challenge maps and riddler content. Batman also has over 10 10/10's for those of you who really like metacritic.

I disagree. Zelda combat has never been very challenging, at least not the 3-D. Twilight princess and WW and OOT and MM are all press B to win. Never balanced.

What was lacking in combat was counterbalanced by puzzles. Skyward Sword aims for difficult combat and puzzles.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I agree. Graphics don't make a game. In fact, graphics are just icing on the cake. Many times a stylized graphical style stands out more than realistic one. Skyward Sword also shows magnificent character interaction from what I've seen in the trailers. The Skyloftian Bazaar is filled with all sorts of activity. Zelda finally plays a more integral role in the franchise. The desolation of the land below provides a juxtaposition to the happiness above. Both enemies and bosses require strategy to defeat. A seamless blending exists between the overworld and dungeons. And Skyward Sword is sure to push motion controls more than any game before it. If Game of the Year recognizes revolution, then Skyward Sword meets the requirement.

I completely agree. It pains me when people judge a game on how good it's graphics are. Skyward Sword will be a very revolutionizing game and I believe it fits the requirements for Game of the Year. If it does not win said award I do believe it will win others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom