• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What You Think "Game of The Year" Will Be.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Regarding Skyrim...

There are two Elder Scrolls games which stand up to the very best the Zelda series has to offer: Daggerfall and Morrowind. Both are staggering, and for different reasons. While I wouldn't call either better than Ocarina of Time, they're quite worthy of being on any list of the greatest games of all time.

Oblivion and Arena are both clumsy and badly designed for different reasons, and are most certainly not among the greatest games of all time. While I wouldn't say they're worst than the worse Zelda game (Twilight Princess), they're both pretty bad.

I expect Skyrim to be good. I do not expect it to be as staggeringly good as Daggerfall or Morrowind. Perhaps it will exceed some mid-range Zelda titles, but I doubt it will stand up to the best.

I have high expectations for Skyward Sword--it looks unified, well-designed, creative, etc. Simply because Skyrim has more breadth and may boast high quality does not mean it will be better; Morrowind was an amazing game for countless reasons, but I wouldn't say the final product is as good as Ocarina of Time. That's why I'm certain Skyward Sword will exceed Skyrim in the most important ways.

I recognize these are opinions. I'm not willing to call the quality of games subjective, but I know people may disagree. Just a disclaimer. ;)
I agree with this :D
Im just wondering with this and do realize this is your opinion, but it is a very common opinion of which I do not know why. Why do a lot of people think Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda? I consider it one of the best because of its amazingly brilliant story and all the cool items. The only thing I hated about it was the Music.
I realize this is also just my opinion but I have to know why people dont Like Twilight Princess so much. Its not on my personal favorites but i dont consider it my least favorite in the slightest. Dont take this wrong way at all, Im Just wondering with the upmost respect :)

Well... looking at the award history for Metacritic... I think Skyward Sword stands a very good shot of getting it. Based on how they've picked the two Mario Galaxies and Twilight Princess. But if that doesn't get their's I'm not so sure it'd be an RPG. Only one close to get one from them is GTA. Not sure if Skyrim will come up on there since they chose Twilight Princess over Oblivion. I don't really know what other game might stand a chance with Metacritic if it's not Skyward Sword.
The Great thing about Metacritic is that It takes all of the other reviews and critical scores, combines them, and picks the highest rated one for that year. Both of The Galaxys won because they both got a majority of 10/10s.

Its not just some stupid popularity contest like it is with most sites and TV shows (Referring to Spike TV)

Last edited:

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
assassins-creed-revelations.jpg

^That will be Game of the Year. Its too bad I won't be able to play it, but since this is the final game for the series and from what I've been reading "the most anticipated"; I think they'll win. They deserve it. Assassin's Creed has been a successful franchise with each release and I think this one will blow the competition away.

EDIT: I take it back. I didn't know there was an AC: 3. Even so, Revelations will still win.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Its not just some stupid popularity contest like it is with most sites and TV shows (Referring to Spike TV)
Except that most reviews tend to be popularity contests. It's great when it lines up with games that are actually good. Like these Zelda games and the Mario galaxy games. But it's bad when it's about games that are good but they just love to hate. It's extremely common with critics of media. Of course I don't think this is as a pronounced problem with games as it is with movies, where I don't think most critics even know what they're doing at all.
I'm still thinking though that with the Metacritic reviews they're still putting in some of their personal preferences when they each decide what they're going to rate the games. I've noticed some games where the reviewers looked like they were just ganging up on it for irrelevant reasons without actually fully playing the game in question. Of course these differing preferences is what makes all of the GOTY choices different and is why each site and magazine doesn't all have the same one. If it was purely about which game is the best objectively then they'd all have the same GOTY.

Ah... anyway... more to the point. I'm thinking now that there is no possible way that Skyward Sword won't win at least one of the game of the year awards. And same goes for Skyrim, it's going to get at least one of them. Hopefully they both get two or more. But the tastes of people are a little too different for too many to like them over other games.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Except that most reviews tend to be popularity contests. It's great when it lines up with games that are actually good. Like these Zelda games and the Mario galaxy games. But it's bad when it's about games that are good but they just love to hate. It's extremely common with critics of media. Of course I don't think this is as a pronounced problem with games as it is with movies, where I don't think most critics even know what they're doing at all.
I'm still thinking though that with the Metacritic reviews they're still putting in some of their personal preferences when they each decide what they're going to rate the games. I've noticed some games where the reviewers looked like they were just ganging up on it for irrelevant reasons without actually fully playing the game in question. Of course these differing preferences is what makes all of the GOTY choices different and is why each site and magazine doesn't all have the same one. If it was purely about which game is the best objectively then they'd all have the same GOTY.

Ah... anyway... more to the point. I'm thinking now that there is no possible way that Skyward Sword won't win at least one of the game of the year awards. And same goes for Skyrim, it's going to get at least one of them. Hopefully they both get two or more. But the tastes of people are a little too different for too many to like them over other games.
This is true :). I just Think Metacritc is the least biased in comparison to other ones, but who knows.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Hmm... Game of the year? Well this year saw and will see many great games, so it's hard to say. Gears of War 3 did have over 1 million pre-orders and did sell over 3 million copies within the first week of release. And it's just plain awesome. The game had a very innovative and touching campaign that Gears of War fans will remember for years to come. It also has lots of content like an improved online mode, a new and improved Horde Mode, and a new mode that is the opposite of Horde Mode, Beast Mode. And now we have Batman Arkham City which looks very promising and is also a sequel to one of 2009's top games. It has also been getting some pretty good reviews in various places, even perfect scores. It also has lots of content like challenge maps, different playable characters with there own unique gadgets and move sets, alternate character skins that Batman geeks will appreciate, and a very meaty campaign.

As much as I want to see Skyward Sword get game of the year, it just doesn't seem realistic. I just know that it is deserving of it but Nintendo games usually get ignored in this sort of thing. And Assassin's Creed just looks like it doesn't have what it takes even though it will be awesome. Then there's Halo, I just know that's not getting Game of the Year twice. Would be cool though. Anyway, I can see Battlefield 3 or the oh so overrated and undeserving Call of Duty just because FPS games get way too much attention. Eh, well that's what I think.

Last edited:

Nayrulinkx

Japanese Wannabe
Ok, I think: SS will be in at least top 10. Skyrim will probably get it, BF 3, GoW 3, AC:R, MW 3 will be in top 10 as well.

Reasons: SS is a great-looking game and is highly anticipated, but it'll probably only be 70-80 hours as Matt said. Skyrim will probably get it because it's a Elder Scrolls game. Elder Scrolls games are really well done, and are amazingly long. Doing the guilds (in Oblivion) takes even longer! Overall, it's just an amazing series, game, and a really good fanbase. BF 3, GoW, AC:R,and MW 3 will be in top 10 because there great games, the story/campaign, the online, (I think GoW 3 has multiplayer) and the anticipation.

Normally I would go on about a long topic about which I think it will be. However today I'm just going to give a brief thought.

It's Probably going to either be Skyrim or Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword is my bet lol but I'm a Zelda fan so that's biased. Anyways we'll have to wait and see!

And as always fellow gamers.. GAME ON!!

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Hmm... Game of the year? Well this year saw and will see many great games, so it's hard to say. Gears of War 3 did have over 1 million pre-orders and did sell over 3 million copies within the first week of release. And it's just plain awesome. The game had a very innovative and touching campaign that Gears of War fans will remember for years to come. It also has lots of content like an improved online mode, a new and improved Horde Mode, and a new mode that is the opposite of Horde Mode, Beast Mode. And now we have Batman Arkham City which looks very promising and is also a sequel to one of 2009's top games. It has also been getting some pretty good reviews in various places, even perfect scores. It also has lots of content like challenge maps, different playable characters with there own unique gadgets and move sets, alternate character skins that Batman geeks will appreciate, and a very meaty campaign.

As much as I want to see Skyward Sword get game of the year, it just doesn't seem realistic. I just know that it is deserving of it but Nintendo games usually get ignored in this sort of thing. And Assassin's Creed just looks like it doesn't have what it takes even though it will be awesome. Then there's Halo, I just know that's not getting Game of the Year twice. Would be cool though. Anyway, I can see Battlefield 3 or the oh so overrated and undeserving Call of Duty just because FPS games get way too much attention. Eh, well that's what I think.
Thats why I said Metacritic, Check ou their past games of the year here
The Least Biased one Ive noticed.

MW7

Either Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, or Skyward Sword.

I think this is most likely. A lot of first person shooters are getting hype this year, but I can't see how any of them could top any of these 3 games on Metacritic.

I would be surprised if Skyrim or Skyward Sword isn't the highest rated game of the year. Batman will be close but I feel the other two are the main contenders.

defiantly Arkham City. its not evan out yet and its already the most critically acclaimed game of all time.
SS will be an amazing game, and it will get a very high score (as most Zelda's do) about a 96 or 97, but like Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which was the third highest rated game of tall time) it will not win GOTY, and i doubt it will surpass Arkham City

As for the rest of the big releases of this year-
Uncharted 3- i have watched a lot of footage, and read a lot abut the game ( i do own a PS3 you know) it seems to be much more MP focused then U2, witch is not good. as much as the MP is great its just not quit as good as the outer Battlefield or Gears. people are having major disappointment from the early access MP. the strong side of Uncharted is the cinematic SP, witch has been confirmed to be much shorter and light then U2's SP.
AC:R- as a franchise, AC just don't gat what it takes to be a GOTY. while the games are very good, there never aseptically amazing. AR:R looks very good, and it will score high ( like 85 to 93) but it just doesn't seems to have that "wow!" effect
Portal 2- very possible.
Skyrim- the game itself is going to be great, and it does have that "WOW!" effect, but it is going to be a complete lag-fast like oblivion and quit frankly every massive RPG. it will wine a massive amount of awards thou, just its not going to be the hight rated game of 2011.
COD 8- same as 7,6,5,4 before him
Battlefield 3- the superior FPS of the year, best MP for sure, but not GOTY.
Gears 3- got great scores and many people love it, it stands a chance

Last edited:

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
defiantly Arkham City. its not evan out yet and its already the most critically acclaimed game of all time.
SS will be an amazing game, and it will get a very high score (as most Zelda's do) about a 96 or 97, but like Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which was the third highest rated game of tall time) it will not win GOTY, and i doubt it will surpass Arkham City

As for the rest of the big releases of this year-
Uncharted 3- i have watched a lot of footage, and read a lot abut the game ( i do own a PS3 you know) it seems to be much more MP focused then U2, witch is not good. as much as the MP is great its just not quit as good as the outer Battlefield or Gears. people are having major disappointment from the early access MP. the strong side of Uncharted is the cinematic SP, witch has been confirmed to be much shorter and light then U2's SP.
AC:R- as a franchise, AC just don't gat what it takes to be a GOTY. while the games are very good, there never aseptically amazing. AR:R looks very good, and it will score high ( like 85 to 93) but it just doesn't seems to have that "wow!" effect
Portal 2- very possible.
Skyrim- the game itself is going to be great, and it does have that "WOW!" effect, but it is going to be a complete lag-fast like oblivion and quit frankly every massive RPG. it will wine a massive amount of awards thou, just its not going to be the hight rated game of 2011.
COD 8- same as 7,6,5,4 before him
Battlefield 3- the superior FPS of the year, best MP for sure, but not GOTY.
Gears 3- got great scores and many people love it, it stands a chance
Well this is mainly for Meatacritic since There is A LOT of different GOTYs for many sites. But I find Metacritic's the least biased because its a combination of all the differentreviews for different sites (IGN for example) into a score out of 100. In Facts Galaxy and Galaxy 2 won the year they came out for Metacritic. Check it out Here :)

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
PORTAL 2!!!! Then maybe Batman and Skyward Sword. I LOVED Portal 2 and I know it got really good reviews so I think it should and will win. :)

I change my mind. Now I think that Batman: Arkham City will get GoTY. I mean, it got a 10/10 in Gameinformer. I haven't seen a 10/10 in GI in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom