• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What would you like to see from the potential release of a new 2D Metroid game?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I know Metroid doesn't have the biggest fanbase, but its fans have been pretty devoted even since the days of Other M. That loyalty eventually paid off with the announcement of Prime 4 and the release of Samus Returns, both games that showed a return to form for the series. In the past year (IIRC), there's been the release of a 2D Metroid rumored to happen at some point. Some have speculated a Fusion remake; others have said it's a completely new game.

Personally, I love 2D Metroid and even prefer it a bit over the Prime style of gameplay, so I think having more 2D Metroid would be really nice.

Would you like to see a new 2D Metroid be released, or do you prefer the 3D titles and would rather they get the most attention? If you do want to see more 2D Metroid, is there anything in particular that you would like to see be implemented in the gameplay or story, etc.?

Because Sakamoto is ****ing **** and a **** that needs ****ing firing for the **** that was Other M, I have become petrified of any new Metroid title for fear that it'll go full Other M or mention Adam, or turn Samus into a ****ing dumbass again or just be ****.

I'm optimistic about Prime 4 since I don't think Retro will pay any attention to OM, especially when Sakamoto has been vocal about not liking the games and seeing them as non-canon.

But as for a new 2D Metroid that'd likely have Sakamoto at the helm... I don't even know because I so much don't want it that it's hard for me to even entertain the possibility that it'll be good.

Samus Returns wasn't even that good. It missed the point entirely of the original, felt clunky and crowbarred Ridley in there for no damn reason. Sakamoto wasn't part of the original Metroid 2 so no wonder he screwed the remake.

But what would I want from a 2D Metroid...

Well, if I were to really try and think about it.

1. Sakamoto to not be on staff. Not in any capacity. Just **** off.

2. Follow on from Super and retcon OM and Fusion into ****ing oblivion.

3. Make something atmospheric as hell. Make me feel the game with tight design. Make things intriguing and fresh. Make me scared, make me paranoid, make me tense on design and atmosphere alone.

4. Don't make Samus as agile as she has been since Other M. When she dives around and does gymnastics it looks dumb.

5. Don't use the Other M suit. It looks dumb.

6. Don't go heavy on story, let the world do the explaining like Prime did.

7. Don't assassinate Samus's character again.

8. I think it'd be cool to switch between the Zero Suit and Varia suit. Samus is supposed to have Chozo DNA, so let us use her Zero Suit for some exploration too, this is where I'd accept some gymnastic prowess.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
My dream game... plenty of things I would want, Spirits already said a few. Sakamoto off the team and Other M non-canon would be amazing. I didn’t really mind Fusion, I just hope they could find a good way to continue the story. Also, as she said, don’t bombard me with text/exposition, let me figure out things myself through the environment like Super and some of Fusion.
Other things I would add:
1. More upgrades. Of course we’ll see the classic ones, but give us some new junk to play with. Metroid’s never really had an issue with this, though.
2. Big, interconnected world. Metroid, again, hasn’t struggled with this, but many indie games do, and if they make the world very big, it can be hard. I want to get around easily enough that I wouldn’t really need fast travel.
3. Lots of freedom. Fusion was linear but gave you ways to stray off the path. OM.... umm... yeah. You don’t have to give me complete freedom at the beginning, but don’t tell me exactly where to go and how to get there.
4. I want a long game, and not long because it takes ages to do anything. Give me some meat, something t sink my teeth into.
5. Samus doesn’t need a huge character arc or anything. Don’t give her one.
6. Treat the series with respect. Don’t nostalgia bait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom