• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fire Emblem What would you like from the next mainline Fire Emblem game?

Threads relating to the Fire Emblem series.
Fire Emblem Three Houses brought a lot of fessh concepts to Fire Emblem that really resonated with fans new and old.

The three houses themselves with unique characters and the free roaming monastery are of particular note and similar ideas will probably be seen in future games in the series.

But what would you personally next to see in the next mainline Fire Emblem game?

Would you like to see the house concept return?

Would you like more free roaming locations like the monastery to return?

Would you like more to do overall between battles?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I think 3H's base gameplay is really solid and I enjoyed the high level of customization that the teaching mechanic introduced along with the difficulty balance. Although the house system itself is probably so integral to 3H's story that I don't see them bringing it back unless the next FE takes place in 3H's world.

Unlike some, I really liked the small tasks and explorable hub in 3H. I think it's a nice contrast to the action of the battles and I would like to see it come back in the next game, in whatever form they choose but maybe with a few more activities.

The support system in particular is one of several areas that I think 3H excelled in as well. It loses the waifu sim aspect (which is probably a good thing) of the Fateswakening period and makes it more of a natural way to grow alongside the other characters, like the older FE games did with their supports. The writing also benefits from supports like these because they don't necessarily rely on gimmicks or anime tropes to give the supports something to focus on.

I would like to see another epic story like the Tellius games told and 3H came close to achieving. I want to see fewer tropes and a more serious tone overall. Humor is okay, but only sparingly IMO.

Graphically, I want the game to look better than a PS2 or Wii game. That and the inconsistent frame rates were very disappointing to see on the Switch.

It really feels like IS learned from their mistakes with Fates with the release of 3H. I want to see them keep improving and hopefully the next game will be even better.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The monastery and the teaching are things that definitely need to stay. Not necessarily in those forms, but they were critical to my enjoyment of the game. Teaching made raising units actually fun and involved, beyond just mindlessly grinding on map after map. Being able to individually cater to your unit's growth was amazing and I loved it very much. That was leaps and bounds better than the past games I've played. The free-roam hub made the turn based gameplay bearable; there's little I hate more than being restricted to a map screen for a turn based game like in Awakening. SoV's dungeon crawling was a good start, and the monastery was even better, but I'd like to see more of both with improvements. Without that time to roam around, I will go insane and burn out super fast. That needs to become a staple.

I think the house concept would only work if they tried to make a sequel/prequel/continuation of 3H.
Any attempt otherwise would probably just seem like a bit of a copy/paste.

I enjoyed the monastery & being able to interact with other units there as well as the extra little minigames & bonus'. Seemed they took the idea from fates & gave it a thorough revamp. 100% for a hub world to explore.

I think the length & story of 3H was perfect so I'm happy to leave that in the hands of the developers.

The only addition I'd like is for the protagonist to have dialogue again. I felt there were a few conversations in 3H where Byleth having no dialogue & the conversation continuing with nothing but silence & a blank stare felt a bit awkward. Robin from Awakening's level of dialogue in supports & general story progression would be better for me.

I kinda just wanna see Grima again. His portrayal in Awakening was kind of bland (which bugged me because he had good potential), but the post-game of Echoes built him up way better than Awakening did and really want to see something done with that dark storytelling. If that managed to impact the backstory of Awakening, imagine what a game would do. I was almost entirely expecting FE Switch (now Three Houses) to have done something with it before its announcement, so I'm still holding out for my Grima closure.

Returning from Three Houses, I would like the character development seen with them. The characters in Three Houses had a surprising amount of depth for being tropes, and I do appreciate that. Support conversations are okay in revealing depth and growth and I don't mind learning about the characters in that fashion, but I would also like to see more of what Three Houses did in that the events really affected how these individuals changed as people. A lot of the early missions involved taking on some of the students' familial figures and the perspective change per house showed different sides of their responses, which was excellent. I get waifu sells, but characters are more unrelateable the further into that territory they tread.

I am all for routes, but Three Houses' routes leave something to be desired. I've only finished one all the way through, but based on what I've heard from friends who did the other routes, all the routes just cut off the story and magically resolve everything during the credits roll instead of giving us proper conclusions. I also dislike how much things change just because Byleth is with a different group. One person would not change that much; I would have liked to see the same or similar events played out just from different perspectives. I realize that would mean only one group would get "dibs" on the Monastery as their hub post-timeskip, but that makes the most sense to me. Overall though, I think it was a way better take on the route concept, and I would be okay seeing it again in a less extreme fashion. As long as we get an actual conclusion, please.

I feel the same as most about the freeroaming hub concept, I wouldn't mind it staying. I spent way too much time between missions; fishing in Fire Emblem is something I didn't know would exist... and somehow it still felt Fire Emblem? Idk, man. But anyway, I kinda miss having a proper world map, and some sort of hybridization of that with the hub would be cool.

Kirino

Tatakae
I enjoyed Three Houses a lot and think it was definitely a step in the right direction, especially after the mess that was Fates. More than anything, I hope that they keep the focus on quality character writing and worldbuilding that were nearly absent in Fates but done really well in 3H, since those are my favorite aspects of FE. Likewise, while I have problems with certain aspects of the monastery's implementation, the concept of a hub that provides downtime between battles and allows you to interact with characters is something I'd very much like to see again. In fact, I'd like to see it expanded.

I don't know how I feel about the use of multiple routes. On the one hand, it provided a lot of content and replayability in 3H, but the routes were too similar and all unfinished to varying degrees, with the story suffering because of it. So unless they can commit to fully developing each route, I'd prefer that they focus on fleshing out one. Likewise, while I enjoyed teaching and battalions in 3H, I'm not sure how well they'd translate to another game. If implemented, they'll probably have to change somewhat to stay fresh.

Overall, 3H has made me pretty hopeful about the future of the series, and I'd like to see a lot of its ideas and emphases continued in a future installment, though I figure we'll get another remake first.

I want to see a game that returns to the roots established by Shouzou Kaga. The Archanea and Jugdral games are what I consider to be the pinnacle of the series. They had great stories, beautiful artwork, well-written characters, and a consistent, imaginative world. The developers took the games seriously and steered away from obnoxious tropes as much as possible. Since Fates, the developers have seemingly started to care more about creating "waifu" characters then well-written stories, worlds, and characters.
I also want the series to return to its hardcore roots. The games should really challenge the players, and permadeath needs to be made relevant again. I'd love a mode that prevents chapter resets. That would be an awesome change.
Primarily, though, I want the art style to return to the old-style anime one used in Archanea, Jugdral, Tellius, and Elibe. I've always preferred it over the newer stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom