• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What would you change if you could go back in time?

What would you do?

• Kill Hitler

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Don't Kill Hitler

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
The purpose of the thread is in the title. What would you do if you could go back in time and change an event? (Or don't, if you're scared of paradoxes and the like image.png)

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Probably stop myself from doing embarrassing **** hundreds of times throughout my life.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
This is one of those eternal debates.

Maybe this would surprise some people but I would not kill Hitler.
Don't get me wrong, if the question was, if I could go back in time could I stop the Holocaust then obviously I would. Or if I could prevent World War 2, I would. But the thing is that if you eliminate Hitler, you leave the path wide open to people like Stalin at that time. And don't get me wrong, Hitler was terrible enough but there is enough evidence to suggest Stalin would have been about a hundred times worse and, in the long run, much harder to get rid of than Hitler. I think eliminating Hitler would not have eliminate WW2, in other words, I think it would have been a much longer, much more devastating war than it already does.

Personally, it's hard to say what I'd change. There are certain experiences which were horrible and which I don't think I learnt anything from, which I would eliminate. And maybe I would have made different decisions along the line, but it's hard to really say.

Jamie

This is one of those eternal debates.

Maybe this would surprise some people but I would not kill Hitler.
Don't get me wrong, if the question was, if I could go back in time could I stop the Holocaust then obviously I would. Or if I could prevent World War 2, I would. But the thing is that if you eliminate Hitler, you leave the path wide open to people like Stalin at that time. And don't get me wrong, Hitler was terrible enough but there is enough evidence to suggest Stalin would have been about a hundred times worse and, in the long run, much harder to get rid of than Hitler. I think eliminating Hitler would not have eliminate WW2, in other words, I think it would have been a much longer, much more devastating war than it already does.

Personally, it's hard to say what I'd change. There are certain experiences which were horrible and which I don't think I learnt anything from, which I would eliminate. And maybe I would have made different decisions along the line, but it's hard to really say.
Why would stopping the holocaust or WW2 even be on your priority list though? 99% of those people in WW2 and the holocaust who died would either be dead or near dead by now, yeah stopping the holocaust sounds all fine and dandy but where you stand right now, all of those people have already suffered and died. It's already happened, and yet here you are, living rather peacefully in a first world country with everyone else. I'm quite content with how the world is right now and the fact that most of those people would be dead anyway makes me feel as though it's a rather pointless and risky endeavour to go back and stop something from happening like that. Maybe that sounds heartless of me?

Malia

Passive aggressive custom rank B)
probably tell my 7-year-old self it's not a good idea to try and sass my Mom in front of friends because you think it makes you look cool. The backhand that will follow will not be worth it, you fool.

Beauts

Why would stopping the holocaust or WW2 even be on your priority list though? 99% of those people in WW2 and the holocaust who died would either be dead or near dead by now, yeah stopping the holocaust sounds all fine and dandy but where you stand right now, all of those people have already suffered and died. It's already happened, and yet here you are, living rather peacefully in a first world country with everyone else. I'm quite content with how the world is right now and the fact that most of those people would be dead anyway makes me feel as though it's a rather pointless and risky endeavour to go back and stop something from happening like that. Maybe that sounds heartless of me?

I think it's screwed up tbh that you wouldn't have rather millions of people had been able to live happy peaceful lives too.

Jamie

I think it's screwed up tbh that you wouldn't have rather millions of people had been able to live happy peaceful lives too.
This is implying that there wouldn't be a butterfly effect. Sure if it would be easy peasy (it wouldn't, because stopping the holocaust would be incredibly hard), and I know that it would not negatively effect me, my loved ones, or the future of the world, then sure. But I don't. Perhaps my best friend wouldn't be born, or something.

Beauts

This is implying that there wouldn't be a butterfly effect. Sure if it would be easy peasy (it wouldn't, because stopping the holocaust would be incredibly hard), and I know that it would not negatively effect me, my loved ones, or the future of the world, then sure. But I don't. Perhaps my best friend wouldn't be born, or something.

I've already said that WW2 would still have happened. And I've spoken about how without Hitler something worse would have happened. But the Holocaust was a horribly unnecessary part of it. It would have been kinder to line up and shoot the Jews if you're gonna insist those people still had to die. Same result in the end. Time travel is a massive paradox anyway so if your best fried didn't get born as a result you couldn't possibly know or remember them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom