• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U What Would Make WW Better

definently the shorter sailing, also NO FLOORMASTERS AND REDEADS, PLEASE!!! always freakin me out :mad: plus how ther was sooo many treasure charts and how u needed SO MUCH MONEY in the game. also medli really didnt need carrying into each room she could have followed link, i mean ITS JUST OPENING A DOOR. i wanted more backstory on komali afterwards too. plus there were too many islands to me; i love exploring but it gets boring when i wanted 100% so i do every bit on every island

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
This game I would like to see remade on the WiiU or 3DS in the future. It has amazing potential for motion controls and gameplay. The best thing to change it in a positive way, however, would be to speed up sailing time.

Wind waker has so many quests its flawless fun! But I would make more islands, like one more village, with a bunch of traveling goron, with a TON of sidequests, and maybe somebody there that gives you special armor! :D

The wind waker is really nice, but lacks diverse environments. Besides the great sea and the additional fortress and volcano, there isn't much else. I would have liked more than just one town as well. Don't get me wrong, I love Windfall Island, but some other places would have been great.

I think there could've been a lot of improvements made which would've made the game really much better, and none of which are too hard to implement. As it is, it's in my opinion the weakest 3D Zelda yet (7/10 for me which means it's still really good compared to other games outside Zelda). The game has very many good points too of course, but I'll only list the flaws here so this might look unbalanced! Remember that this is not a review! So let's get into the details:

Gameplay

- Too low difficulty: WW is in my opinion the easiest Zelda game of them all (at least out of the ones I've played), I never had my health under ~70% during the whole game, at least up to the final battle which had just the right difficulty - for normal bosses, that is. Even there I didn't have to use a fairy, I was maybe down to 5 hearts or so at the end. Falling into the lava for example should cost 2 hearts like in TP and not 1/4 or 1/2. Regular enemies should do 1/2-1 damage (depending on how far you're in the game) and bosses 1-3. There shouldn't even be 1/4 hearts. This would be the easiest to make improvement.

- Too big overworld: Yeah, I also didn't like how getting from A to B took ages, especially in the beginning (Sailing from the forest island to where the water temple was supposed to be and then back to the shopping island is a prime example here).
Possible solutions:
- Condense overworld to 1/2-1/3 of the original size in both axes. This wouldn't take away from the game's "big ocean feel" because it'd be still big enough, just easier and less boring to navigate. The Goron sidequest for example was a really time-consuming monster!
- More warping spots. I see absolutely no reason why you can only warp to a select few spots instead of to every square (Places you're not supposed to go yet to could then of course be disabled earlier in the game).
- A "magical sail" (which slowly consumes magic) or similar upgrades for the sail which could let you gain speed, it kinda sucks that you have to use the same slow sail over the course of the whole game.

- Other, rather minor time-consuming nuisances:
- Repetitive cutscenes, for example when you play that song to change wind direction. It then always shows the song again and the wind blowing around. Or when you use the grappling hook, there's always a cutscene showing how the hook attaches to its aim. There's no need to watch these scenes everytime, it would be enough to show them for example once per save, similar to that "You found a yellow/blue/... rupee" in TP. Or simply make them skippable.
- Sailing interruption, I didn't like how the boat made a full stop after you pull out an item (for example boomerang, bow, canon...). Sea combat would be so much cooler if you could use your stuff on the fly.

- Few dungeons: I found it a bit disappointing that after the typical "plot twist", there were only 2 more main dungeons + Ganon's castle, because normally the majority of dungeons are in the part after getting the MS, so I was kinda expecting more there.

- Triforce quest: This was quite repetetive. Sure, there was some variation with different tasks to do before getting each of the maps and the pieces, but there could've been more. Combined with my last point, maybe there should've been 2-3 more main dungeons through which they could've scattered the pieces.

Graphics

Overall, the artstyle they chose fit very well to the game and allowed for many emotions to come across. Still, there are some things I wasn't entirely happy with.

- Proportions: This is a bit of a matter of taste and I know it's supposed to be like a cartoon, but even for a cartoon these body proportions were a bit too exaggerated in my taste, like the head making up half of the body size or eyes that are bigger than feet... This somehow didn't let me take many of the characters seriously enough.

- Lack of detail: I thought that even for a toon game, there was very little detail, both in the form of few environment objects and as mostly monochrome textures. This combined with the very high saturation just isn't my thing. I also thought there was a bit too heavy use of distance fog, for example when approaching an island it stayed as a completely gray silhouette very long, even when you were already quite close to it and when it already took a big portion of the screen.

I don't have any notable issues with the soundtrack and storyline/plot though.

I pretty much agree with this post other than the fact that I think it's the strongest 3D Zelda rather than the weekest. However, there are a few things I'd like to say about what was mentioned in this post.

1. I have a problem with what you mentioned about the overworld size. I'm not speeking directly to you, but sometimes I think Zelda fans can be the biggest hippocrits when it comes to this subject of the game. One of the many complaints I think OoT gets is the overworld size. It's too small, and there's not much to it. In contrast, one of the biggest complaints in TP is that the overworld size is too big and I want to get around to places quicker. It seems there can be no common ground with this because everybody changes there opinion on what the overworld should be in each game it seems like. Those who argue that they want a big overworld with much to explore within it have valid arguments, and their I present to you The Wind Waker.

It has the best overworld in any Zelda IMO and with good reason. The expansiveness of the Great Sea is breathtaking and it's enriched with several islands, little tidbits of activities along the way, and inspiring music that captivated the player. To me, saying that The Wind Waker had a bad overworld is hogwash because it balanced the combination of an expansive overworld filled with activities that every Zelda player wants perfectly.

2. The proportions of the players is an opinion which you stated, so it shouldn't be taken into account the ranking of the graphics. To me, the proportions of the characters were hilarious and enjoyable to look at. Also, lack of attention to detail? Have you even played Wind Waker?? The sun setting in the east and the moon rising in the west, the constellations of stars at night, the changing from a sunny day to thunderstorms, there was so much attention to detail in that game I couldn't even imagine. The atmosphere was simply beautiful.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I pretty much agree with this post other than the fact that I think it's the strongest 3D Zelda rather than the weekest. However, there are a few things I'd like to say about what was mentioned in this post.

1. I have a problem with what you mentioned about the overworld size. I'm not speeking directly to you, but sometimes I think Zelda fans can be the biggest hippocrits when it comes to this subject of the game. One of the many complaints I think OoT gets is the overworld size. It's too small, and there's not much to it. In contrast, one of the biggest complaints in TP is that the overworld size is too big and I want to get around to places quicker. It seems there can be no common ground with this because everybody changes there opinion on what the overworld should be in each game it seems like. Those who argue that they want a big overworld with much to explore within it have valid arguments, and their I present to you The Wind Waker.

It has the best overworld in any Zelda IMO and with good reason. The expansiveness of the Great Sea is breathtaking and it's enriched with several islands, little tidbits of activities along the way, and inspiring music that captivated the player. To me, saying that The Wind Waker had a bad overworld is hogwash because it balanced the combination of an expansive overworld filled with activities that every Zelda player wants perfectly.

Well I don't know how the majority of Zelda fans think but I do have clear ideas about how a Zelda overworld should look like:
I think the best overworlds yet are those in aLttP, MM and SS (surface!). They're reasonably sized, have a lot of terrain variation instead of a flat always-the-same-looking field/sea and have lots of secrets to explore, plus getting from A to B isn't much of a hassle.
And I agree with you that OoT's Hyrule Field was way too empty (not necessarily small) and TP's was big but still quite empty.
Still I think the same holds true for WW. Sure there were some sidequests (most of them were limited to Windfall island though), but the relation of content/overworld size was still way too small IMO.WW may have had 3x more side quests than OoT but the overworld was easily 30x as big, so this lowers the density a lot. It sure is a nice feeling being on the sea - for the first couple times, after that it got repetitive for me. That's why I think faster transportation alone would have helped a whole lot. Now if WW had 100x as many optional side quests or secrets as OoT has then I'd be very happy.

2. The proportions of the players is an opinion which you stated, so it shouldn't be taken into account the ranking of the graphics. To me, the proportions of the characters were hilarious and enjoyable to look at. Also, lack of attention to detail? Have you even played Wind Waker?? The sun setting in the east and the moon rising in the west, the constellations of stars at night, the changing from a sunny day to thunderstorms, there was so much attention to detail in that game I couldn't even imagine. The atmosphere was simply beautiful.

OK, I'll give you that, the proportions are opinion. I just happen to dislike anime (*quickly raises flame shield*) so I have no feeling for that extreme-ness. I'm used to traditional "western" cartoons and animations and still like them a lot, but that anime-style with the oversized eyes, head and tiny body just looks ridiculous to me (not even "childish", but just somehow wrong) and it really made me feel that Link is about 6 years old, which I somehow cannot arrange with him being the courageous, Triforce-holding Hero of Time.
What I meant with lack of detail is the textures on the ground/houses etc. which are mainly held in one single, fully saturated colour. Cel-shading isn't an excuse for me here because other cel-shaded games like Ookami and Jet Set Radio do a much better job here. Sure, some people might like that simplicity but I don't.
And of course I have played and beaten the game, but only once. I'd like to replay it some time but what keeps me from that is the very dragged out intro (which is also in TP and to some extent in OoT and SS), that *** forsaken fortress and the very long trips (especially after Forest Haven) in the beginning of the game.

To summarise it again, the game as it is now gets a 7/10 from me, which is my lowest rated Zelda game yet.

If they only changed the following things:
- Faster sailing
- Higher difficulty
- Faster intro
then I could give it a 9/10.

And with those things changed additionally:
- Less extreme body proportions
- More detailed textures
- More towns (Goron city?) or at least bigger islands to explore with actual side quests instead of just a heart piece/treasure map/rupees
- Better naval combat (i.e. no boat stopping when you use an item, more and different enemies), especially since this game relies so much on being on the sea.
- A couple more dungeons in the second half of the game
then I could even give it a 10/10.

I can't think of anything that would make the wind waker better at the moment, maybe this means I should play through the game once more to form a better opinion?

I loved the Wind Waker, it was jarring to get it on the gamecube after OoT and MM but like MM, WW did its own thing.

I loved the sailing, i think they got the size of the ocean and the distance between islands spot on, it felt like an adventure it felt like a maturing adventure, it felt like a voyage of discovery it felt like you were doing something important. There wasn't a single island i disliked and i loved all of the dungeons. I really don't think WW could have been improved. The Triforce fetching quest near the end of the game is nowhere near as insulting as the Song of the Hero mission in SS. I loved the new enemy designs in WW too especially the Re-deads, they were wonderful. The King of Red Lions was also a fantastic character anthe ending was bitter sweet, the backstory and set up for the whole game was truly epic too. Truly wonderful stuff.

Only one thing would have made the WW a little better for me. I'dve liked to have seen more echoes of the old Hyrule. Even though we got the temple of time and Hyrule field under the waves near the end i think i little more iconography of OoT and earlier Zelda timeline games would have been nice touches but that is all they would be, nice touches and not that important. The hardest decision for me is which do i like better MM or WW... i can never decide.. that is how good i believe WW to be. It is so much more accomplished than SS by comparison too.

I love WW, I'm actually replaying it after several years right now. I think I would have liked another dungeon or two, only having two major dungeons after getting the master sword wasn't enough. I would also have liked to skip the whole "tingle translating" of the triforce charts or even better simply make the triforce peices be in the chests and get rid of sea charts entirely. I felt that part dragged a little bit, especially if you didn't work towards getting the pieces as you were doing the last two temples. Leaving all the triforce charts and pieces till the end made it seem way to long.

I think that if they let you keep your own notes about each location at sea instead of having to feed the fish to find out some information. It would be something similar to phantom hourglass and spirit tracks in how you can keep your own notes.

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
i would probably like to have a select-your-own warp points like being able to set a number of warps and be able to change them. For example beacons from SS.

i would probably like to have a select-your-own warp points like being able to set a number of warps and be able to change them. For example beacons from SS.

Why did so many people have problems with the warping in WW? I felt the warping in OoT was less useful

More dungeons. I think it would have been better if you had to find the Triforce shards in dungeons instreed of pulling them out of the ocean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom