• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Will Become of the 3DS?

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Hey All,

(Sorry if there's a thread like this. If there is, please merge them, thanks!)

So, i realized today that the 3DS' game library is not that good. In fact, most of them are just remakes of games already released on another system. Street Fighter, Ocarina of Time, Rayman, StarFox, etc. I'm afraid that the 3DS is turning into a "Remake System", and that's not good. I mean, until Super Mario 3D and Luigi's Mansion 2 are released, there will have been no NEW ideas made from the ground up on the 3DS. So that leads to my questions, what will become of the 3DS? Will it be a system of just enhanced versions of old games with the occasional new one, or are we just scratching the surface of what the 3DS has to offer, post your thoughts below.

So, discuss!

Luigidude64

Suzune Supporter
Hey All,

(Sorry if there's a thread like this. If there is, please merge them, thanks!)

So, i realized today that the 3DS' game library is not that good. In fact, most of them are just remakes of games already released on another system. Street Fighter, Ocarina of Time, Rayman, StarFox, etc. I'm afraid that the 3DS is turning into a "Remake System", and that's not good. I mean, until Super Mario 3D and Luigi's Mansion 2 are released, there will have been no NEW ideas made from the ground up on the 3DS. So that leads to my questions, what will become of the 3DS? Will it be a system of just enhanced versions of old games with the occasional new one, or are we just scratching the surface of what the 3DS has to offer, post your thoughts below.

So, discuss!

Hmm, I realize your therory, although re-makes are usually fun to play, too many of them would be illogical and probably not the best choice when creating a game. The 3DS was more than likely made to test out the 3D capabilities, there will probably be more original 3DS games later this/next year, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are both going to be different everytime, Paper Mario, OoT, Star Fox and and all of the other games from the N64 are classics, and to older and more experienced players in my opinion, wouldn't like a re-make of games on that system, but newer players who've never heard of th N64, or the SNES would be more likely to love the re-makes. In my opinion, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past would do good as a 3-Dimensional game. . . But that's just my idea. . .

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
You know, I've been thinking for a while about this, the 3DS might take quite a while to really show its value. It would be a shame if it didn't, because the 3D (and the other features) could have many interesting uses that nobody has thought of yet.

I agree that the remakes should be toned down. You know, what I'm about to say might make me look like a PlayStation fanboy (which I'm not), but Nintendo really could learn a thing from Sony, and that's how to handle remakes. Keeping them until later in the console's lifecycle (namely, when they are through with their last console) is what sounds better to me. That way, the people who waited to buy the console but bought the last one will already have some new content to justify their purchase (and get improved versions of games they probably mkissed out on) and the ones who didn't get the last console will have the new games along with the ones they missed out on. That seems to benefit more groups of users than starting out with last gen ports and remakes.

Thanks to that strategy, Nintendo has started to look to many people like they always sell the same thing over and over, and I'm sure we know that's not exactly true. They do sell new content but keep a sense of familiarity with the old one. I probably shouldn't care what the people who say that think, but I see it as true (to some extent, at least), I just think that idea is blown out of proprotion some times.

Still, I'm positive that the 3DS will probably have a better library by the end of this year. After all, it took a year or two for the DS to become the system we know today.

Z

ZeldaFan90

Im using the 3ds internet browser to post right now so dont u little kids be runnin all over ma 3dsness area! joke yeah you are right about that but and this is a big but they will be realesing all the new pokemon games on the 3DS and this is a massive and they will be realesing wait for it! first they have realesed OoT on the 3DS then it will be MM then possibly WW then TP and then (insert LoZ big chest opening sound) SKYWARD SWORD!!!!!!!!!!! in about 5 years now to crawl back under my rock.

skippybake420

IronKnuxSurge
I think the 3ds is going to turn out great because Nintendo has done this before where the realease something good then stall you in between the time that the new thing comes out like for instance, nintendo realeased nintendo ds and ds lite, those were a big hit and what i think is the 3ds was the next big thing with its own games so in between that time they released the dsi which had hardly upgraded at all. another case is with video games like i think Skyward Swords the next huge game so in between so fans dont get bored the released Oot3d (which was awesome don't get me wrong) which is a re-make like pokemon did this as well generation 4 was released then b4 gen 5 they stalled with a re-make of gen 2, you see its a trend...so i think that they have had big ambitions for the 3ds and we havn't hardly seen anything yet :) ......hopefully....

S

Sin

A slew of good games, then the PSP effect.

>Release 3DS
>Put all focus into WiiU

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I say the 3DS could become Nintendo's best-selling handheld yet. It's a great device and is going to have a plethora of great games.Nintendo has never done anything like that and they won't start now.

We don't know yet. All of the currently announced titles could turn out to be flops.
Now that is up for discussion. Nintendo could do whatever they want with the 3DS. I mean, they didn't even have that great of a launch with the 3DS, seeing as how many a people only had Pilotwings Resort to play for a good two or three months and then finally got their hands on OoT3D, which was the only title outside of Dead or Alive Dimensions that many 3DS owners were looking forward to. If third party support continues like that, the 3DS could suffer some deterioration. We'll find out when the time comes, eh?

I hope that 3rd party support and the games that 3rd parties release onto the 3DS will rival first party titles in content quality. That way, the 3DS won't have to go through a PSP cycle. I doubt the 3DS will resort to remakes to captivate more people, but I won't dismiss remakes as being a bad idea since they CAN bring out some greatness out of the system's current life.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
We don't know yet. All of the currently announced titles could turn out to be flops.
Now that is up for discussion. Nintendo could do whatever they want with the 3DS. I mean, they didn't even have that great of a launch with the 3DS, seeing as how many a people only had Pilotwings Resort to play for a good two or three months and then finally got their hands on OoT3D, which was the only title outside of Dead or Alive Dimensions that many 3DS owners were looking forward to. If third party support continues like that, the 3DS could suffer some deterioration. We'll find out when the time comes, eh?
I hope that 3rd party support and the games that 3rd parties release onto the 3DS will rival first party titles in content quality. That way, the 3DS won't have to go through a PSP cycle.

Well, the PSP released all of its good games immediately. The 3DS is doing a steady stream to avoid that sort of thing.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
True, but you have to admit that with the way things look, Nintendo could possibly just make a bunch of remakes and hope for third parties to come out with 'real' installments. I know for sure that Square Enix can pull through with Kingdom Hearts DDD, and Capcom should listen to many fans' complaints about Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and flesh out Resident Evil Revelations, but those are only two games out of a slew of others. Then again, there is the chance that Nintendo could come out with some new IP that starts on the 3DS, time will tell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom