• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What were your top 3 games for the Wii U?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
article_post_width_wii-u-sad-1534973.jpg

The Wii U.
A misfit, outcast. Failure even. But despite that, it had an extraordinary library.

New Super Mario Bros. U/Luigi U, Nintendoland, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, The Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, The Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Tokyo Mirage Sessons #FE, Paper Mario: Color Splash and, last but not least, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

And many, many more.

If you played and loved the Wii U, what were your top 3 games?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
1. Mario Kart 8
More than half my time with the WiiU was spent on MK8. It's the best Mario Kart game by far. The tracks are almost all fantastic, with the likes of Thwomp Ruins, Shy Guy Falls, Electrodrome, Mount Wario, and this game's version of Bowser's Castle. The game is utterly ****ing gorgeous. And there's so much life and detail to the tracks that pretty much all of them could be full-fledged levels in a 3D Mario game. Water Park, Thwomp Ruins, Toad Harbour, Shy Guy Falls, and Wild Woods would all be great places to explore on foot, and they make MK8 so exciting and fun.

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Contender for 'Best Platformer of All Time'. Retro outdid themselves after DKC Returns on the Wii. Donkey Kong games have always been more challenging than their cartoon aesthetic implies, and TF is tough but fair, the best kind of challenging. There's such a great feeling of weight to the movement, and once you get a flow going and your timing is on point the game plays like a dream. Retro also understand the importance of strong theming, too. Perhaps the best example is World 5, Juicy Jungle. The first level sees you navigating an industrial scale fruit harvest, and each subsequent level has you play through each step in the process of that fruit being processed and turned into jelly, jam, and frozen treats. Retro are telling story with the design of their levels without ever interrupting gameplay. Hell, using the story to facilitate gameplay. In Donkey Kong. This game is a masterpiece, plain and simple.

3. Call of Duty: Ghosts
Whiplash, lol

No, seriously. I wish I didn't have this here as much as you, but, honestly, when I wasn't playing MK8 I was probably playing this. I enjoy shooters, and I wanted to get at least one for the WiiU. It'd been years since I had a CoD game, and when I found out Ghosts was coming to WiiU I thought "Why not?"

Ghosts is a mixed bag. It's single-player campaign is highly derivative of other (better) CoD games, and the story is just ****ing terrible, but the foundation was solid. A rising South American super-power, USA beaten and on the defensive, an elite team of super black-ops operatives? You've got the ingredients for an engaging and different CoD experience. But good ingredients are nothing if you're trying to copy someone else's recipe and don't know how to use the stove. Is this metaphor still working? Ghosts could have had a good single-player, but they dropped the ball, and then kept dropping it, until the thing was finally over.

But the multiplayer was solid. It had a fair few good maps and the gameplay was fine. There was enough of a community on WiiU to keep matchmaking times low, and I did have a lot of fun with it. It was good to relax with, actually. Odd as it may sound, CoD always felt far more casual and laid back than Mario Kart, lmao. I guess since I'd bought Ghosts just to have a touch of variety to my WiiU library I never took it very serious, whereas Mario Kart was life. But yeah, I played a lot of Ghosts, more than I've played any other CoD, actually, which is funny considering it's universally agreed to be one of if not the worst, and I owned it on the ****ing WiiU, lmao

What a lovely thread. I feel so bad for the Wii U, it had so many amazing games. It didn't deserve the hand it was dealt.

I don't want to include remakes in this so while WWHD and TPHD would definitely be in my top three, I want to appreciate the WiiU's original titles.

3. Bayonetta 2
I still can't quite believe that this even happened. What timeline are we in where Nintendo now own an IP about a sexy witch who has hair for clothes that gets semi nekkid when she punches demons in the face? How did this happen?

Bayo 2 was an absolutely stellar game though, the visuals were amazing and the Nintendo Easter eggs (like the Star Fox level) were brilliant. The opening level is by far the most hype opening of any action game ever. Bloody hell.

2. Mario Kart 8
This is just hands down the best Mario Kart game ever made. It's ****ing fantastic. Nuff said.

1. Project Zero V: Maiden of Black Water.
I still can't quite believe this even happened. What timeline are we in where Nintendo now own... (this sounds familiar) a horror IP with creepy ghosts and pretty ladies?

Joking aside though, now that Silent Hill is ****ing dead, Project Zero is my number one horror franchise and PZV was such a surprise and such a good game.

I have the special edition and I had to jump through hoops to get it but it was worth it.

Just like how a Pokemon Snap game was a no brainer for the Wii U, PZV makes full use of the gamepad by turning it into the ghost killing Camera Obscura.

You could see in 360 with the gamepad. Holding it up like a camera changed the view instead of pressing a button, it was so scary and so immersive. It made me scared of the gamepad, it was exactly the way the game should be done.

The whole series should have been done justice by being remade for the Wii U. It was bloody perfect. <3

MW7

1. Breath of the Wild - One of the best Zelda games ever.
2. Wind Waker HD - Made significant improvements over the original. I love the swift sail and triforce quest changes.
3. Twilight Princess HD - Made minor but positive changes over an already solid Zelda game.

Non-Zelda:
1. Super Mario 3d World - This is probably my least favorite main-line 3d Mario game, but that still makes it better than 99% of games.
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - I didn't like this as much as Returns but it was still a solid game.
3. Mario Kart 8 - Solid entry in the series.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
1. Super Mario Maker: I got an absurd amount of play out of this game. It ended up being the biggest justification for owning the system.
2. Super Smash Bros: It was smash again. Still fun.
3. I can't even think of a third game that I got heavy play out of. If I borrow my brother's copy of BotW for the Wii U, it might be able to fill the slot. Really, the Wii U was wasted potential.

Honorable mention to Splatoon which I played one time and never touched again, but admit was a popular game for a reason.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Non-remakes:
1. Mario Kart 8 - One of the best MK games in the series
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - One of the best platformers of all time
3. Nintendo Land - An underrated game with dozens of hours of potential gameplay
-------
If remakes were included, then WWHD would take top spot and move everything else down a spot.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
1. Xenoblade X
2. Super Smash Bros 4
3. Pikmin 3

wii u has such a blagh legacy, some great games but not nearly enough compared to its competitors or its predecessors, it didn't even have a zelda to call its own, though at the least, the good games it does have are really good

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
1. Breath of the Wild, absolute no-brainer, my favorite game ever.
2. New Super Mario Bros. U, the best 2D Mario ever made if you ask me.
3. The Wind Waker HD, I truly adore it, such an improvement, oh it looks so good.

Twilight Princess HD, however, was a disappointment for me, otherwise it would have been number 2.

3. Super Mario 3D World

It's a lovely game and the best get to the flagpole Mario game since Super Mario World. I love the insane level variety in this game from the circus themed levels to chasing a flagpole that's running away to Plessie to Captain Toad levels.

2. Splatoon

Splatoon 2 might be the better game but I have fonder memories of the original. I absolutely loved playing online and the Splatfests were my favorite moments with the game. The campaign is largely a side show but the final boss was amazing.

1. Super Mario Maker

It's my most played Wii U game by over 200 hours on my next most played. I absolutely loved making and playing levels. 2 is the better playing experience with all the new features but you can't beat making levels on the Gamepad.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Splatoon - The Start of an amazing new franchise

Nintendo Land - A fun time, I played it a few times with my collage friends

Mario Kart 8 - A fun Mario Kart with lots of creative tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom