• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What We Know About Super Smash Bros. 4

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The next Nintendo Direct is not too far away. It is here the fourth entry in the Super Smash Bros. series will be shown for the first time.

The game was announced almost two years ago, at E3 2011 (video), to be made for both 3DS and Wii U. An Iwata Asks took place before this reveal. He had discussions with Masahiro Sakurai, series creator, about the next entry in the Smash Bros. franchise.

- Sakurai feels it would be wrong to create a mere extension like Melee and Brawl were. To increase the volume of content only (such as a greater number of characters and stages) and make it more visually impressive would not be enough.

-A portable version appeals to Sakurai, as they'd "be able to do a number of new things". Though he agrees about the undeniable limits compared to the console version. The portable version, in particular, is a more "individual" experience, however. Players grow more attached to their data that they've built and collected. People tend to carry the hardware around with them, which leads to a more personal experience.

- Iwata notes current Smash Bros. games aren't reliant on collecting, rewards and raising levels. Sakurai agrees on the dilemma. Some players would get into such a game, whereas others may not. Additionally, a focus on experience makes the game lose its instant play quality, Iwata adds.

- A "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space is what Sakurai feels is nice. A 3DS version where players can build their character through battles and rewards, then take them to the Wii U version to face other players. Iwata sums this up as players "spending time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version".

- The Wii U is an HD system. Expect 60 frames-per-second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements.

- It is wished that each version of the game can stand on their own, and that connectivity between the two is to make the experience more enjoyable.

- The aim of the 3DS version is to offer players "a slightly different experience from conventional Smash Bros. games". There is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, he believes. Some emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another.

- Much of the Kid Icarus Uprising staff will move on to work on Smash Bros. However, because the scale is so big, Project Sora will need to take on new staff.​

Little has happened in terms of news that can compare to this brainstorming session. Regarding that last point, we have since been told in the Nintendo Direct of June last year that Namco Bandai will assist Sora in the creation of the game. (story)

Development was not said to begin until after the release of Kid Icarus Uprising. Sakurai has also had an arm injury hindering progress. One of the most notable stories floating around was of the online functions in Smash Bros. and Sakurai stating its matches are "not interesting or fun". It can only be thought this will be a focus in Super Smash Bros. 4.

Sakurai is quoted as claiming that the new game is unlikely to emphasize new playable characters, focusing instead on gameplay balance and distinctiveness of its characters. He has also gone out to say that new characters are confirmed.

It is hard to say what is entirely expected out of the new Super Smash Bros. game. Come this Nintendo Direct, all should be much clearer.

What do you think about Super Smash Bros. 4 being in this presentation?
How do you think it should feature? (screenshots, a trailer...)
How much will be shown?
What new characters would you like to see in the game?

I may or may not create a new thread or add to this one following the presentation. Let us just wait until what comes...

Oh yeah, and remember this picture Sakurai posted on his twitter?
10ih1s9.jpg

I was bored and coloured it in real quick.
a32l2x.png

And here’s a much better one I found online.
qohrly.png

yeah... :bleh:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
As long as Kirby continues to be just destruction incarnate whenever he's on the field, I'll be happy with whatever the next Smash Bros offers.

Salem

SICK
You didn't mention Capcom, if I recall, they said there might be Capcom characters in the new super smash bros., but I could be wrong.

Jetaluski7

Master Swordsman
I thought Capcom was also helping with the development of the game. So a Capcom character can't be too out of the question.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I guess you're one of the people who wouldn't like such a game then.

Let's get rid of that pesky test of skill and make it into a grinding borefest in which whoever has no job and no social life whatsoever will be the winner.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Let's get rid of that pesky test of skill and make it into a grinding borefest in which whoever has no job and no social life whatsoever will be the winner.

Seems legit. Sounds like I'll be the winner. ;)

At any rate, this is practically how all multiplayer games in the real world work. Skill is only PART of the equation.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Seems legit. Sounds like I'll be the winner. ;)

At any rate, this is practically how all multiplayer games in the real world work. Skill is only PART of the equation.

I don't recall SSB or SSBM having levels...

Krazy4Krash

Staff member

Don't go trying to convince me it's a poor idea. I wouldn't be entirely fond of it either. I'm the only one of my friends who takes Smash Bros. seriously. No way they would verse me if I was at max levels and they hadn't even started. They also wouldn't have my benefits of being able to transfer from the 3DS version. Gotta say, I'm speculative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom