• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Was Your Opinion of Dowsing?

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I thought dowsing was very useful. I found it most useful at the begining of the game, where you really dont know how to get around the Faron woods just yet, and find them cute little Kikwis <3 Aside from that, I wouldnt say it makes the game easier. You still have to search around for the dowsing item.

I thought dowsing was very useful. I found it most useful at the begining of the game, where you really dont know how to get around the Faron woods just yet, and find them cute little Kikwis <3 Aside from that, I wouldnt say it makes the game easier. You still have to search around for the dowsing item.
Yeah, it was nice at that part, because Faron Woods pretty seriously confused me when I first visited it. Took me a while to familiarize myself with the terrain. Easily the most confusing of the areas in the game, and the least linear too.

dowsing was kind of annoying some times though....
How was it annoying, though?

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I thought dowsing was a very interesting game mechanic. It was pretty fun to use and helpful when it came to exploring Faron Woods the first time. I got really confused searching for the Kikwi in Faron and dowsing helped a lot actually. Searching for the Earth Temple key was much easier than I originally thought it out to be with dowsing, so I wasn't stuck for an hour searching for the last piece :P. Another thing about dowsing was that it was optional which I liked, if you wanted more of a challenge you didn't have to use it which I thought was pretty cool. The only issue I had with dowsing was accidently leaving one of the search options on when I wanted to use the average look around mechanic, but that was my own fault so there was nothing wrong with the dowsing system.

Kazumi

chagy
I really disliked dowsing. It was a seemingly pointless feature, with it's only use being to find things that were already quite easy to find in the first place. I would be fine with it were it an optional feature geared more towards new players, but the fact that Fi constantly screams in your face to do it really bothers me. To me it just felt like a poorly thought out and poorly implemented feature that really didn't add anything to the game, and just bothered me. I'm OK with things like this that help new players, or even veterans that are stuck on a tough puzzle, but I don't want to see dowsing return in it's current form.

I would be fine with it were it an optional feature geared more towards new players, but the fact that Fi constantly screams in your face to do it really bothers me.
Isn't this more of an issue with Fi's tips and information being compulsory, though, rather than a flaw with the Dowsing? It sounds more to me that your issues were with how Fi forces you to listen to things you may not really need to use, rather than those things themselves, since other than the stuff with Fi, you don't have to use the Dowsing.

K

keatonprincess

dowsing was very gimicy - and hardly a challenge. nice idea at first though

P

pokezelda

sometimes it was ok other times there was no point in having it

I enjoyed the dowsing aspect of the game but I do think it made it a bit too easy. For instance, dowsing for recovery hearts, really? Without dowsing it would have promoted exploration more and that is what I love about Zelda games to begin with. I am pretty much indifferent on it but I would prefer it to be left out of the next game or of it is in the game to be used in more interesting ways.

Maffiline

nirorlei
I didn't use dowsing that much, except when I was finding an item to recover to someone, having to use *shutter* Scrappers to get it. "Move out of my way, Master Shortpants."
It would have been hard to find retrieving items you needed Scrappers for in places like the Volcano, and Lanayru Desert.
The Treasure dousing for me, is useless. I like to find my own treasure. However, it's useful a little because you can find treasure in new spots you didn't know about.
Heart dousing is useless. I thought it'd actually help me find hearts, but it didn't. I buy potions 24/7 instead, and cut grass.
Goddess Cube dousing becomes useless after you find all of them. If you can ever find all of them..?

Agent B

The King of Hyrule
I liked the dowsing because of how unique and interesting it was. It did make the game next to easy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom