• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Was Your First Job

gannondorf

Dark Lord Gannondorf
So, What was Your First job like?

Was it great? Did it Suck?

What kind of work did you have to do? How did you find your job?

did it pay well or at least decently? Did you find better jobs afterwords?

Please, tell your story of your experience of your first Employment below.

Last edited:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
gannondorf said:

Spanish language tutor at my university.

No, I really enjoyed it actually. It improved my own skills and gave me the opportunity to help people succeed at something I feel is very important.

What kind of work did you have to do?

I supervised a Foreign Language Lab and helped students in Spanish classes with their homework. I also met with students struggling in their classes in one-on-one tutoring sessions to help reinforce the subject matter.

How did you find your job?

Online help wanted ad on my school's website.

It paid minimum wage. And yes, I found better jobs afterwards (better in the financial sense).

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I got my first job when I was 14, and the story of how I got it is pretty random. I was on the beach with a friend, and we befriended these two other girls our age, who eventually had to leave for work. Naturally we got curious what kind of job they had, so they told us a bit about it, even gave us their boss' phone number. My friend and I called the woman, who agreed to give us a trial run.

The job was selling roses for a charity organization, which worked with victims of violence. We were each given a bucket of of roses (35 to start with), fanny packs, "thank you" cards from the organization. If we managed to sell out our roses, we would get to do it on a regular basis. We were paid a set amount per rose, it was one amount if we sold less than 35, and a slightly higher amount if we sold more than that. I managed to fill my quota rather quickly. My friend took a bit longer, which was ironic since we had fought over the location, and she had won. From there on I would work about every other weekend until winter, when they switched to calendars, which were a lot harder to sell. I got a phone call a while later from the woman who had taken over the gig, apparently she had been given a list of names from my previous boss, and mine had been at the very top.

I really enjoyed the job, it could get a bit dreary once I had been at it for a couple of hours, because the bucket was heavy, it would be longer between each time someone bought a rose, and once I remember getting a really bad sunburn (I looked like a lobster). But I did earn pretty decently for a fourteen year old, and I managed to save up and buy myself a Nintendo 64 in the end :)

It took a couple of years before I took another job (by that time I was 17), which was similar to this one, except it was a different organization, and I was selling pins. That one was a bit more competitive, as whoever managed to reach certain goals first earned additional bonuses, and I really enjoyed that, because I was pretty good at it. I remember one time especially at that job, when we were setting our sales goals for a three day period, and the others were saying 70, 80 and 90, and I just decided to go big and said 150. I remember the boss looking at me with disbelief, promising me a CD of my choice if I managed to do it (I did).

I did find better jobs later on, and having things on my resumé really helped with job applications once I got older and was looking for more longterm employment. Experience is always good. Those two jobs helped me get an interview at a video rental when I took a year off before college, which alongside two other jobs I landed that same job, helped me with my job applications later on.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
1) IT Student Assistant at my university.

2) It is quite possibly one of the best jobs I can imagine.

3) I usually have to go around, installing programs, replacing parts, and fixing mistakes.

4) The boss was one of my friend's fathers who I've known for more than a decade.

5) It pays $12.50 an hour and the hours are great.

Why is this in mature discussion?

Anyhow, 2008, I was an awkward, socially detached seventeen year old homeless kid who--despite social anxiety disorder--had no choice but to get a job. I filled out a job application at the local library for a position at Staples, and eventually there I was, anxiety and all, at my minimum wage. Lasted for six/seven months, and all I got out of it was money to pay for my driver's license, which I acquired at the age of eighteen. My fondest memory is the loads of discounts on office/school supplies. Woohoo...

My first job was over the summer this year. There is a farm across the road from my grandparents' house, and they're friends with the owner. They helped me get a job in the pepper-packing shed to help me save money for my trip to Europe in April.

They had me washing the peppers, which involved me standing at a big tank of water while they poured huge crates of peppers into it. It may sound easy enough, but they always pour more in when you're not ready for more, you get no breaks in the four or five hours of work, and since I'm short, I was constantly bending over the tank. After one work day, my back was killing me, I was soaking wet, and the $20 I made that day was definitely not worth it.

I quit after that single day, as it was the worst day of my life thus far.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
My first job was this year. Don't look at me like that, it's hard getting a job these days and before that I was studying so yeah.

Anyway, my first job was in a pub/restaurant. I served drinks and did waitressing and well yeah it sucked. It's hard, long unsocial hours, exhausting and you have to deal with drunk *******s everyday. A lot of people enjoy that kind of work but I frankly didn't. The pay was good though. I got the job by googling 'jobs'. Literally. I have no idea why they employed me as I had no experience at all.

My job now doesn't pay quite as well, and it's still not fun but it's infinitely easier and more enjoyable than that.

Beeker

Wild Card
First job was just typical summer job in food. Pretty much composed of pouring coffee and serving ice cream to customers. Since it was in a really touristy part of the city, it was only a seasonal job, for a few months. I enjoyed it quite well. Well, at least more than the job I got after...:dry:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
My first job was at the start of this year, working in a pub/restaurant.

It sucked. I was only working because I had to start paying my way after leaving uni and it was really hard work with very long, hard hours. I wasn't really prepared for it and worse, they treated me really badly when I worked there. The wages were pretty good though which is the only thing I miss. My job now is better in the sense it's not as hard on me, the people I work for and with are nicer and I don't have to do like 12 hour shifts. But it pays less and is in a way more stressful because it's more formal. Idk, none of these jobs are forever and I only did that first one for a couple of months.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
If we're going with first first, my first "job" was babysitting for the neighbors. It was alright. Their kid was friends with my little sister, so she was used to being with me. She was kinda spoiled though, and would be fussy about the snacks I would make her and refused to do her homework most nights.

The first job I consider as a real job was when I worked at a grocery store as a cashier. It was alright. I didn't have to do much other than show up and be a decent person.

It was alright.
What kind of work did you have to do? How did you find your job?
Rang out customers, cleaned the registers and the front of the store. Sometimes I would help face the shelves if we were really slow, when I got older I started filling the liquor department. After a few years of working there, my boss fired the cleaning company that did the bathrooms so I started cleaning those too (it wasn't so bad. They provided gloves and cleaning supplies. Managers were required to clean them, but anyone else could decide not to if they really didn't want to.)
Eventually I became a sort of supervisor, not quite a manager, but I was given keys to the back office, oversaw the other cashiers when the managers where away, handled customer complaints and returns. I sold and redeemed lotto tickets and cigarettes. I scanned alcohol for younger cashiers when I turned 18.

I got my job rather simply: I applied at the local grocery store, followed up with a phone call, was asked to come in for an interview. Dressed up a little nicer than I needed to (it's a pretty good rule of thumb to dress one step fancier than you intend to work in on a day-to-day basis). The interview was pretty brief- I sat down with the owner of the store, who asked me a few questions about my availability and my past work experience. At the end of the interview I was told to come to work the next Wednesday to start.

It paid alright. Minimum wage, but as a high schooler that was plenty for me. As for better jobs? Well, it depends on what you consider better. I work at a pretty big retail store right now, was recently promoted to full time and given a three dollar per hour raise. However, at my new job I have to deal with a LOT more people (I work in the city, now, too, as opposed to the suburbs where the grocery store was), and most of the people I see aren't regulars, aren't people I know from my neighborhood.

In a way, it's a little worse: I don't know the people I'm serving, since I rarely see them more than once, which hinders my ability to help them and provide the best service to them. However, there is more for me to learn and more room to move up than there was at the grocery store.

Please, tell your story of your experience of your first Employment below.

Oh, jeez, I kinda did in the rest of the questions, lol.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I had a paper round when I was younger (12-13); however, if you don't count that as a proper job then my first actual job was when I was 15.

I worked at my golf course. I would do odd jobs around the golf shop, help the greenkeepers, move caddies etc. I'd also help the golf pro when he'd teach the junior golfers. I've actually, just recently, started working there again during morning hours a couple of days a week.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
My first job was shoveling snow from people's driveways. God the pain I felt in my back after that. It blows hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom