• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What was your favorite BotW memory?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Instead of telling a story in the traditional way that most Zelda games have done, BotW chose to convey a large amount of its story through the memories that Link collected throughout his journey. And these memories really gave the player some insight into both Link and Zelda as well as the deceased Champions. So, what was your favorite memory out of the ones in the base game and the DLC?

In the base game, my favorite memory was probably "Despair" but with the Japanese VA for Zelda. It made the scene so meaningful to hear the intensity of emotion in her voice compared to the English VA. You could really feel her pain.

In the DLC, I'd probably say the memory where Urbosa fights the Yiga members. Seeing her fighting ability was really impressive and her English VA has the perfect balance of confidence and snark.

I didn't really like any of the character arcs in the game and BotW's Zelda is probably my least favorite incarnation of her to date, but I also really liked "Despair." I could feel for Zelda in that moment, and it was mostly achieved through the scene itself, before she ultimately throws her head in Link's lap in defeat. The sound of the rain with that body language brings chills.

Honorable mention to "Father and Daughter." While I don't really like the exhange between Zelda and Rhoam... I just really, really adore the moment where they pull back the focus on those two to showcase the guardians being worked on. The guardian that does a happy litle headspin is like... actually the best thing.

I set my voices in Russian because the English voices just ruin any tone of seriousness (and I'm annoyed there wasn't an option to mute the voices to begin with). Hopefully they have that mute option in the sequel. I despise voice acting in video games in most cases, especially during cutscenes.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My favorite one happens to be the one I found first, the one from the Spring of Power. I think that was a great way for me to discover Zelda's character arc, which was really darn good. Watching her struggle and suffer over her perceived worthlessness was heartbreaking. You could really feel how powerless she felt, and when I got that memory, I knew it was gonna be a good game. And I was right.

Skystone

I, Chocobo
I also rather liked the "Silent Princess" one. It does an excellent job of establishing Zelda's character and providing her with a distinct personality with respect to the other games, and also really sets up her fundamental character and the dilemma that essentially underpins the game's plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom