• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What Was Wrong with Navi?

M

MasterSword101

Hey! Listen!

Lol navi is very annoying @ some parts of the game about thing YOU HAVE ALREADY KNOWN! Well shes helpful 4 beginners and glitchers alike... But 4 the advanced players, hearing, "HEY! Listen!" or
anything like that is very creepy and annoying at some times but hey! She's better than tatl from MM
Right?? ;)

I honestly didnt find her to be annoying. She may have been annoying after you played the game alot of times and you no longer needed her help. But I found her to be a good character.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it seems as though people hate her for telling them how to open a door rather than the 'hey, listen, hey, hey, watch out, hey, look' that i was expecting.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Although it is almost universally hated how she will interrupt you to teach you things like how to open a door (it seems like I complain about this more than anything else)

This is what I hear the most commonly. But then again, I've met people who are not used to the way the game plays. Any game can be tough on your first time, it actually happens toi me all the time. It took me days of playing Super Mario 64 to get the jumping right and it took me about the same time to be good at Ocarina of Time and get used to the controllers. You know why? Because people who are not used to a certain kiind of game take a while to get the gist of it as simple as it might be for the more experienced players. Believe me, I've tried to get many people I know to play Zelda and they always get the simplest things wrong (moving blocks, jumping, using items...you get it), but so did I when I was first playing it, so I can understand that. Maybe it's easier for people who are already used to not having to look at the buttons because maybe we already have the layout in our mind. But my mom, for example, could never get into the console Zelda games because she got fed up with having to look at the controller to see which button she was pressing all the time.

Anyway, before I get off-topic, here's my main point: They had to take that kind of people into account, and that involved making instructions for the simplest things. Let's admit it, not everyone is going to instinctively know how everything works in a game.

Also, as Thareous said, the first attempt at being a 3D title was sure to be a really new experience to people, so Nintendo had to make sure nobody got "left behind", if you get what I mean. But then again, that does get repetitive on repeated playthroughs, so it's probably justified in that sense. Still, it has a purpose, so I think the help from her is justified there.

Then, there's also this:

Call me weird, but I definitely have a love-hate relationship stance with that fairy. As a character in herself, Navi is just simply adorable and an all-around sweetheart in my mind. On the flipside however, the constant cries of "HEY!" "WATCH OUT!" And the fact that she keeps telling you things you know already can be downright irking! XD; But yet I get sad every time I see her leave Link in the end credits. It's a complicated slew of emotions, really.

I always liked this aspect of how you can take Navi's personality the way you want. I always thought of her like a sister to Link or something along those lines. As it was so vague, there wasn't really any in-game evidence to contradict your view of her. That's the beauty of vague characterization right there, you just have to fill in the blanks. :)

Siniru

Zoldyck family assassin
Your Imagination... Is life real?! Am I real?!
Lol navi is very annoying @ some parts of the game about thing YOU HAVE ALREADY KNOWN! Well shes helpful 4 beginners and glitchers alike... But 4 the advanced players, hearing, "HEY! Listen!" or
anything like that is very creepy and annoying at some times but hey! She's better than tatl from MM
Right?? ;)

Hell yes. The first time I played OOT, She was a brilliantly interesting and helpful, but in master quest I just wanted to splat her face. Why did Nintendo put the 'door opening' hint in MQ anyway?!

Y

Yazz

I find that she's only annoying when I play the game from scratch again. Being told how to open a door when you've done it before can get a little annoying, but that's it.. I've never really wanted to squash her just yet.

I do prefer her to tatl though. Tatl just sounds really sarcastic when she tells you about enemies.. Silly fairy ¬__¬

Kybyrian

I personally don't think that Navi was absolutely antagonizing, but she did get relatively annoying later in the game. She was very helpful to first-time-around players, which is the whole reason she was there. She wasn't as integrated into the actual gameplay or storyline like other sidekicks were in later games, which is probably what made her role so annoying to everyone. She was virtually useless in every way possible after the first playthrough of the game. It really did get annoying to have to hear her all the time when you already knew what you were supposed to do. Face it, though, if you were an OoT player that was completely lost, Navi's advice would actually be a good hint as to where you're supposed to head next.

I think people overreact to how annoying she was. Sure, you don't want to run around Hyrule seeing her icon pop up all the time, but it's not exactly distracting you from the game or anything. Most people complain extensively about her and wish there was an option to disable her. I don't doubt that it would be a good idea to have an option to disable her advice, but it's not something you need to whine about.

Owner828

I'm not the muffin man!
After playing Ocarina of Time over, and over, and (etc.) again, I have noticed that her blabs, which were helpful your first time around, are just plain annoying. As in when you try to go further into the Deku Tree, but Navi has to tell you how to open it. Only then is when she is annoying.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
What was wrong with Navi? Hmm... I dunno. How about HEY!HEY!LISTEN!HEY!HEY!LISTEN!LISTEN!HEY!

Oh, and let's not forget "To open a door, approach it and press A."

Even after a million times of playing she doesn't bother me.
The only instance is in the Deku Tree when she stops you all the time, but it was a tutorial for the first ever 3D Zelda game so I let that pass. Otherwise she never bothers me, I don't get how people get so annoyed over it. Actually she was one of my favorite characters and I always wondered where she went off to, I was sad when she left and understood why Link set out to find her in MM. She was my companion on one amazing journey and we went through a lot together, so yeah I like Navi a lot.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Yeah, like it's been said before, Navi was the first sidekick in a Zelda game and therefore had some weaknesses. I think that unlike Midna or Tatl, she had no personality at all and no character development. Some of her tips were useful though. What I didn't like is that she interrupted the game to tell you things like "You can climb up vines! You can open doors!" I think that in such cases it would've been enough if her menu had just popped up, allowing you to play on.

Yeah, like it's been said before, Navi was the first sidekick in a Zelda game and therefore had some weaknesses. I think that unlike Midna or Tatl, she had no personality at all and no character development. Some of her tips were useful though. What I didn't like is that she interrupted the game to tell you things like "You can climb up vines! You can open doors!" I think that in such cases it would've been enough if her menu had just popped up, allowing you to play on.

To be fair she only ever did that in the Deku Tree.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
To be fair she only ever did that in the Deku Tree.

she does the 'looking round corner' thing in Dodongo's Cavern and then again going through the Forest Grove but that's about it. nothing THAT over the top. at least she doesn't teach you every sword move every time

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Navi was not annoying. Even though I prefer Tatl, Navi is still cool to me. She only stops you to talk for about five seconds. And it's not really that often either, even in the Deku Tree. I don't see why so many people blow that out of proportion. Are they really in THAT much of a rush? I really don't know. The "Hey! Listen!" thing is not annoying at all, either. If you don't like it, shut the volume off. The whole concept of Navi being annoying is blown way out of proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom