• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time What Was Wrong with Navi?

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
People always say that Navi is one of the most annoying characters ever but she never bothered me, i actually prefer her to Tatl. Last time i played OoT i did occasionally tell her to shut up but she never became annoying.

anyone else think she was OK, who did you want her to just die?

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
In my opinion, many people who complain about Navi are impatient or exaggerating how annoying she is. Although it is almost universally hated how she will interrupt you to teach you things like how to open a door (it seems like I complain about this more than anything else) and the text is really show. :mad:

Although Navi can be helpful for players who like to use glitches. ISG anywhere and Navi dive to escape the forest with just a sword, for example. But in normal gameplay she just hinders progress.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah, have you played the game 10 times yet? I'd say it gets very annoying on the 10th time around. The first 5 she is not very annoying at all, after that it gets irritating having your adventure interrupted to be told something you already know.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i've completed the game probably around 30 times between N64, GC and Master Quest. sure having her tell me how to open a door is pointless but stuff like that only happens in the first level (aside from looking round corners) i can live with it.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I think that the annoyance she has for replays is the same as most other game replays. You have to sit through the tutorial part no matter what. But, I do think Navi was annoying in a sense. The voice really was the thing. Tatl jingled when she wanted to talk, instead of saying 'Hey! Listen!' Also, she often told you what to do next, which was a little irritating when you wanted to do side-quests. But then it could be worse.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
From what I've heard, Nintendo undertook the development of OoT in '95 or '96. You have to bear in mind, this was their initial attempt at a 3D title, and because fans would be delving into an open overworld for the first time they wanted a guide who could lead them to each necessary area so that they didn't get lost and lose interest. Of course, during its development the team probably didn't consider the "annoyance" which could arise after playing the game through twice, or multiple times. Quite possibly, they did realize it after OoT's completion and strove to make up for that by changing Navi's "Hey!" to Tatl's dingdingding. That's my take on it, anyway.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I never really found Navi annoying. Yeah, she talks a little too much and in inappropriate situations but that's about it. I don't really understand it when people complain about Navi like she is some great disturbance in the game. She can actually be kind of helpful (okay, maybe not so much), but still I don't have a problem with her.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Navi was annoying. Now, speaking from experience, she wasn't as annoying as people perpetuate her to be today, but annoying she was nonetheless. Every now and then, HEY! And the simple solution is to just press C-Up, B, A. But no one wants to do that, so they try to tolerate her until they break and lose their mind.

She was a great sidekick helper thing, and I'd take her over certain other sidekickhelperthings any day. But that doesn't change her status as annoying.

I honestly don't find her all that annoying, though I suppose I can understand that if you're replaying the game and already know what to do, she's pretty much stating the obvious. But her "nagging" isn't really that bad if you do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it. I think the thing that bothers me the most is her name flashing on the HUD when she has something to say. I have ADHD, and seeing flashing can be a little distracting for me. I was also bothered by the life meter, when the current heart beating, was introduced to the series.

Sidequests can be a little annoying, simply because Navi is reminding you to take care of something else, but knowing me, I probably need that. Again, I can get distracted by things pretty easily, so I don't mind the occasional reminder that Navi drops my way. I really don't have a problem with her, but I suppose some people have the need to hate on her because they think that makes them "cool". Navi is a cute character, and the change in the style that which the fairies were designed was a fresh change to the franchise.

I say, if she's annoying to you, just put her in your hat. xP

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
As annoying as Navi was for me most times when I played the game, I still adore her as a character.

Call me weird, but I definitely have a love-hate relationship stance with that fairy. As a character in herself, Navi is just simply adorable and an all-around sweetheart in my mind. On the flipside however, the constant cries of "HEY!" "WATCH OUT!" And the fact that she keeps telling you things you know already can be downright irking! XD; But yet I get sad every time I see her leave Link in the end credits. It's a complicated slew of emotions, really.

I think the overall hatred of Navi really depends on the person. I know some people can't stand her at all and even hiss at the very mention of her name, while others just love her to death. I think it's just personal preference and game-play experience, really.

When I first played the game she was helpful not annoying when I played it later for the 10th time she started to be pretty annoying. She practically is only annoying if you have replayed the game a thousand times. (Maybe I am going overboard..) But then again Navi is not the only one who tells you useless stuff throughout the game if you had already played it. For instance the owl in that game does the same thing but not every five minutes....
He just asks you if you want to here useless info again..

I don't even notice her most of the time anyway. She's not really that bad. Okay, if you're going to pay attention to it all the time, it could get annoying. Don't do that. Just play the game, focus on the rest of the game and just ignore her. It really isn't that hard.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Play the game over and over again, And she gets annoying.. fast

I don't think Nintendo really thought that OoT was gonna be that succesful as it is, That people were gonna play it over and over and over again. But still, The option to skip her pointless discoverys like ''Hey Listen, You press A to open a door'', ''Hey Listen, You can climb up these vines'' was a pretty big flaw, And not to mention that they made the same mistake with Tatl in MM.

They were both helpful the first playthrough, But after a while it gets old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom