• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Four Swords Adventures What Was the Problem with the Gamecube Four Swords Adventures?

I bought FSA used a while ago, I have beaten it twice but I have never expirience the multiplayer aspect at all. Why? It is because the multiplayer was just so hard to set up! every player who wanted to play needed three things
1. A gba or gba SP
2. A gba gamecube link cable
3. A four swords cartridge

Dont get me wrong, I love FSA and I think it is an awesome game. I just think the multiplayer was badly executed.

I dont see why nintendo set it so all players neede was a gamecube controller.:)

You only need these for FSA:

- A GameCube
- A copy of Four Swords Adventures
- And at least two controllers (for multiplayer)

You needed those for the regular Four Swords :yes:

uhhh have u ever even played the game, I doubt you have because you NEED the stuff I specified for multiplayer

Nobody needs a Four Swords cartridge to play FSA multiplayer, but everyone did need a GBA/SP and GBA-GCN link cable, which was a lot of requirements. I have played some multiplayer FSA, but not much and not for a long time. I'm hoping this game ends up on the Wii U virtual console, it will be so much easier to play then.

Ganondork

goo
Well, it's possible to play the game by yourself, so you avoid all of those problems with all the cables and such. As for the ability to play it, I'm not sure what you expected Nintendo to do without using cables during the GameCube days. There was no WiFi Connectivity on systems in 2004 when Four Swords Adventure was originally released. You don't even actually need a GameBoy to play the game at all. If you enter a house or tunnel of some sort that would pop up on your GameBoy usually, and you're not connected, a small window would appear on the screen of your TV. I mean really, it isn't that big of a hassle to do all of this stuff just to do it multiplayer in my opinion.

I also find the topic of this thread to be interesting. All you do is welcome negative thoughts towards the game, when I actually don't have any of that to say. I found it to be a very good game overall. Sure the puzzles were a bit easy, but it wasn't one of the more "hardcore" Zeldas anyway. I felt that they executed just about everything very well. Overall, I felt that it brought a unique experience to the table, while still maintaining that "Zelda" feel. What bad is there really to say about it?

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
What was wrong with FSA? Well, I have to be honest here; I went through about 15 minutes of the game before I put the controller down for it and never picked it back up again... ever. I dunno, it just doesn't feel like a Zelda game... You can only have one item at a time, the puzzles were horribly easy... It's just... ;_;

I wouldn't say it's a horrible game. But then again, I'm not in any position to judge since I only played for 15 minutes. From what I did play, though, it just doesn't get that fun, magical feeling across...

FS is the game that requires two(or more) game carts, a link cable and two GBAs.
FSA is on the GameCube, can be played single player or multiplayer with multiple GameCube controllers, or with a GBA connected to the GameCube.

I have a feeling that you game the ALttP GBA port, that is not Four Swords Adventures. The original Four Swords(The one on GBA, not the 3DS version) is strictly multiplayer, there is no singleplayer. The singleplayer that you must've been playing was ALttP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Actually just a few moments ago I went to check and you do need the GBA connecter cables to do multiplayer.

The whole idea with the multiplayer and GBA and the cables and all was just too complicated. Forced multiplayer is never fun, that's why games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii succeed. They are fun in both single and multiplayer. Also, it wasn't very traditional when it comes to gameplay. Sure, Majora's Mask wasn't either, but Four Swords broke as far away from the Zelda formula that it possibly could, almost as radically as Zelda II did.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If the multiplayer didn't require the GBAs and Link Cables, it could've been a LOT better. Also, the game could've been extended quite a bit; with the single player taking not even 6 hours to beat, I think the game could've used at least quadruple the length. Artificially or not, I could careless so long as the game gets the justice it deserves. Even some of the multiplayer only modes, such as Shadow Battle, could be made single player under varying AI difficulties, somewhat like the Smash Bros series. It could work, believe me it could, but only if it would be done.

Zelda II didn't break from the formula of Zelda; it was the second game released and no definitive formula had been established at that point. It was simply different, people attribute the "breaking of the formula" to AoL in correctly.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
EternalNocturne said:
What was wrong with FSA? Well, I have to be honest here; I went through about 15 minutes of the game before I put the controller down for it and never picked it back up again... ever. I dunno, it just doesn't feel like a Zelda game... You can only have one item at a time, the puzzles were horribly easy... It's just... ;_;

I wouldn't say it's a horrible game. But then again, I'm not in any position to judge since I only played for 15 minutes. From what I did play, though, it just doesn't get that fun, magical feeling across...

Yeah, I admit that I got that feeling whenever I played it by myself. It wasn't that fun of a game to play in single player mode. Now with two or more players, this game is extremely fun! I've been playing this game with two of my siblings and because of that it gives the game more life cause you're competing against your siblings/friends/boyfriend/girlfriend/whomeveryouplaywith by trying to get the most force gems, beat the most enemies, etc. You also get to get on you're opponents nerves just by messing with them and such. :P

Anyway, getting back on topic, yeah I can see two problems with the game: one I mentioned above by the single player not being really all that fun. The second being how much you actually have to have to play the game in multiplayer mode (which is where the game becomes awesome imo) : four GBAs or GBA SPs and four GC to GBA/GBA SP cords. All of that is quite costly and can easily deter someone from wanting to play the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom