• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What was the hardest game (outside of BotW) to 100%?

I'm currently working on two things in Zelda. 1 I'm working on a chronological playthrough of the series, and 2 I'm working on 100%ing every game in the series. I'm coming to a close on Ocarina of Time right now, and it has been an awesome experience. I generally just play through the games main quest line, focusing my attentions on the dungeons and bosses (that never gets old for me). But this time, I decided to take it a different route. I've had a lot of fun with OoT, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the games and so I wanted to ask from the games you've 100% which one gave you the most trouble? I'm excluding BotW simply because of it's massive scale.

The Wind Waker because even though you fet the heart piece chart, it isn't clear which ones you have from where. That has always given me trouble. Good thing I love the game enough to go searching.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
My initial thought is either Majora's Mask or The Minish Cap.

Majora's Mask has a ton of sidequests and you'll be resetting the three-day cycle numerous times in order to do them all. There are also a lot of heart pieces (more than any other game I think) and the masks, some of which can be tricky to get. There are a couple of heart pieces near the end that are easy to miss with only one shot at getting them, too (as far as I'm aware).

The Minish Cap isn't terribly difficult, but due to the Kinstone system it can be time-consuming to open up everything you need for 100%. Add to that the figurines which are nothing but a tedious grind. Wind Waker has a figurine gallery that tasks you with taking photos of everything and everyone. It's time consuming and you can miss some bosses if you're not thinking ahead, but it's a direct task and can be fun to do, especially in Wind Waker HD with the selfie poses. In Minish Cap, however, you collect shells as a form of currency and use them to gamble on getting new figurines. The more shells you spend on a 'roll' the more likely you are to get a new figurine. It's just a grind, a long grind, and it makes 100% Minish Cap a daunting task in my view.

Good luck with the endeavour, though :)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Majora's Mask

To preface this, I don't think most Zelda games are particularly difficult to 100% as much as they are tedious. For most, it's just a matter of checking every nook and cranny and talking to every NPC to find all the secret goodies. This is even the case in Breath of the Wild, only on a highly escalated scale.

This is not the case for Majora's Mask. Many, perhaps most, of the sidequests in this game are time-based, and several events only trigger at a very specific time with the window being rather small in some cases. For some sidequests, there are not many clues to tell you what time to do things or what time certain events will trigger, so there's definitely some luck and guesswork involved. This is how they are able to stuff so much stuff into a relatively small world, they compensate by making most of the sidequests time based. This makes 100%ing the game a very difficult undertaking without using a guide, but it is definitely doable, and highly rewarding.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Probably the Minish Cap. Because of the kinstone system and the massive amount of people you can trade with, it is difficult trying to find every person who may be able to trade with you. Especially when you may not have the correct kinstone fusion.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Is it possible to perfectly 100% MM without a guide?
And also, if you do miss an event, would you really have to restart to 100% it?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Is it possible to perfectly 100% MM without a guide?
And also, if you do miss an event, would you really have to restart to 100% it?
It's certainly possible! I managed to do it without looking at one, though I did have a pretty good idea of where a lot of things were from having watched an LP previously.

With the way Majora's Mask works, if you miss an event, you can simply play the Song of Time to reset time to Day 1 (don't worry, weapons and masks and such stay in your inventory so you don't have to collect them again) and then you can skip ahead in time to whenever the event takes place. It can get a bit confusing if you're new to the game, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. It's a very unique system that makes the game stand out. Just remember to put your rupees in the bank before you reset time, you'll need to save up lots for a few side quest items!

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Depends on your definition of 100%

If you mean doing everything humanly possible, than for sure WW, just because of the Nintendo gallery.

If you meet the official speed running definition (which is what I go by) then probably the oracle games.

Quin

Disaster Master
Even WITH BOTW added, its still ALBW JUST for the cucco minigame. Everything else in the series PALES to the hell that is completing this.
I think I took a full week completing the 999 seconds, even with the start trick. BOTW and TWW aren't even hard to do, its just busy work. Speaking of busy work, getting the best ranking in the PH and ST multiplayer games is also very tedious. and not to mention doing EVERY MISSION in TFH in both single player and multiplayer. And I can't forget getting all the rings in the oracle games, which requires 4+ playtroughs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom