• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Uncommonly Known Bands Do You Like?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Define "band".

I could safely say Burlap to Cashmere

idk how "known" bands like See-Saw, FictionJunction, and Kalafina are in the West

and I guess Hitomi, Ceui, Akiko, etc. wouldn't be considered "bands".

I've periodically enjoyed some Blackmore's Night if that's worth mentioning.

Oh, and just for fun, Strawberry Flower. ^.^ (It's a virtual band of/for/about Pikmin!) They only released three singles though.

prince rallis

I'm a huge metal fan.
I'd definitely say Edenbridge, they're a power metal band with a female lead singer, to describe them I would say they're a mix of Nightwish and the old Dark Moor more like the old Dark Moor for style, but more like Nightwish for the singing(at least from what I remember I don't really listen to Nightwish)

Eels are a band I always find people unfortunately aren't aware of. Really brilliant music, if you're interested I recommend listening to the album "Daisies of the Galaxy" in full and in track order.

Also Death Cab for Cutie, a British band. The only album of theirs I've heard properly is "Plans" but it's absolutely fantastic!

Hope I helped you a bit :)

Death Cab for Cutie is quite well known, I've heard their stuff on the radio.

I can't say I'm a fan of any really unknown artists, I've just never been much of a music aficionado. Most of my favorites have at least had a couple of hits.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Where do I start...

Well, one worth mentioning is a young band from Chicago called 'The Orwells.' If you like Nirvana or any sort of hard rock, I definitely recommend them. Start with the album 'Disgraceland', and go from there. I promise you won't be disappointed. ;)

Taproot is a great band. They been around for years. They've got six albums. If you like hard rock, I highly recommend you look these guys up. They have a lot of talent that gets over looked.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Nobody I know IRL has ever even heard of, let alone listen to, the Prog Rock band Porcupine Tree. I know they're famous, and a lot of people know them, but nobody I personally know has heard of them before. They are a very talented group of musicians.

I'll bet almost none of you here have ever heard of the Canadian Reggae/Rock band Mindil Beach Markets before. They played at my school before they were overly famous, and now they're getting to be quite well known around the country, well enough to have their own Wikipedia page!

That's all I can think of atm. I might edit this later if I think of more.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Rodrigo y Gabriela. At least I think they are unknown. I'm not sure all I know is my teacher introduced them to me and they are awesome.

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
-Animal Collective (Don't really know how to describe them. Start with their newer stuff, probably Merriweather Post Pavilion)
-Sigur Rós (Kinda Post rock)
-Godspeed you! Black Emperor (Very post rock)
-Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks (Made by one of the members of animal collective)

-Sigur Rós (Kinda Post rock)

This is one of the first more or less post rock bands I listened to. If you like them, I'd recommend Mogwai (one of my favorite bands), do make say think and God Is An Astronaut, maybe This Will Destroy You as well.

-Godspeed you! Black Emperor (Very post rock)

This is possibly my favorite band. I started listening to their stuff probably about six years ago, and it never ceases to have the same effect as when I first heard it. To me, they're a very interesting group because they incorporate so many different styles and instruments, along with various recordings, clips and such.

Off the top of my head:

Mogwai
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
65daysofstatic
This Will Destroy You
do make say think
Hungry Ghosts (the one from Melbourne)
A Silver Mt. Zion
Mono
Mansun
sleepmakeswaves
Russian Circles
Aesthesys

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Ever since I played 1080 Avalance for the Gamecube I'm a big fan of Cauterize. Don't know if they are underground or not, but that themesong (Choke) was just awesome. Made me listen to a lot of their songs. Heard they stopped making music years ago, which is a big loss.

As dumb as it is, I'm really disconnected from the media, in that I'm not really too aware of what is commonly known and what isn't. And frankly, I don't really care either. I just listen to whatever and if they happen to be popular or not, whatever. I think it's a little more ambiguous these days because there's a lot of music streaming services that might give some lesser known groups more exposure. Which is good for them, but I don't use said services so I'm pretty blind to all of that. So I might be completely off with my list, but I'll give it a shot.

Blood Stain Child
Erra
Fit for Rivals
I See Stars
Icon for Hire
Like Moths to Flames
Lovex
Monuments
Now And On Earth
White Fox Society

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom