• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What TV Do You Have?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I currently have a 32" generic brand TV which is more than 10 years old and am looking to update. My parents recently got a generic brand 60" TV and the operating system on it is pretty sub-standard. I'm curious as to people's thoughts on the OS offered by different brands of smart TVs and if anyone has some recommendation to buy or avoid.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Agreed, smart TVs are stupid. The living room TV is a smart tv, but it was a gift, the den TV is a Sony something or other from a garage sale:
IMG_20220131_104346.jpg

The aspect ratio or sumn is messed up so it kinda cuts off some of the edges of the display, I'll post a picture of that if y'all are interested, and it doesn't have a remote so idk how to fix it. It's good enough tho, just a slight oddity.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I've used a 50" Samsung LCD TV for the past several years (6-7 or so). Basically used it just for gaming, but it's worked well for that. I never bother with the OS it uses though.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have a Sony 43 inch LED 3D smart TV. I have had it for years.

I use this as my PC monitor and consider the smart features useless and just a way for them to hike the prices. It cost £1000 and it sickens me how inferior it is now to even the cheap TVs.

I shall upgrade it but slightly downsize to a 32 inch next time as it is a tad big for the distance that I sit from it.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
My personal TV is a CRT with a VHS player attached, got it at a thrift store in 2012. The TV in the living room is a Roku TV and the only smart device I have successfully taught my mom how to use when it comes to TV devices.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I have a 2021 model 43” LG 4K TV that I saved up for across most of last year and I’m pretty happy with it. It’s a smart TV using WebOS as it’s base and things look really pretty on it—especially my 4K blurays as I also invested in a 4K player. Since I don’t really use my phone or computer to watch much content, I do use the NetFlix, YouTube, and other streaming apps to consume that content through my TV. The only drawback with modern TVs, especially larger 4K models is older games if using their original console (NES-Wii) don’t have enough pixels to look as pristine as they do on smaller TVs. I’ve mostly had to invest in cables that were made to plug into the devices to help upscale. The Wii2HDMI device, as an example, but it worked surprisingly well. Better than an RGB to HDMI converter. You might want to consider keeping your old TV as a dedicated old game monitor.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I've got six Trinitrons. The most recent one I picked up here in South Dakota from a thrift store for five bucks. It's a kv-13, I didn't even know they made them that small! Seriously guys, we're in the final days of having access to CRTs, pick one up for free on Facebook marketplace and bring it home to keep your SNES company.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I've got six Trinitrons. The most recent one I picked up here in South Dakota from a thrift store for five bucks. It's a kv-13, I didn't even know they made them that small! Seriously guys, we're in the final days of having access to CRTs, pick one up for free on Facebook marketplace and bring it home to keep your SNES company.
They'll come back when people realize they're superior to lcd

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
They'll come back when people realize they're superior to lcd
I really wish you were right but I've got very little hope. I can only find a single manufacturer of crts anywhere in the world right now and they aren't consumer grade. These tubes are slowly dying (damage, leaking caps, trace rot, etc.) And when they're gone, fear the technology will be gone forever. They cost way more to produce and get to market than any kind of flat screens do and I'm doubtful that they would be able to pull off even 4k with the way the screen projects.

If anything, best case scenario, a startup begins producing a bunch of BVMs, PVMs, and CRTs for an incredibly niche market of rich retro gamers and supplements by building real classic-style arcade machines. They likely be charging in the thousands for a base model. Who would lend such an enormous principal with such a niche demand and zero supply of raw materials? I just don't see it happening and that's heart-breaking.

It reminds me of flash a bit. A now defunct format that had irreplicable advantages that people will attempt to emulate and preserve but which can never be experienced fully outside of its intended format. There's a good use for G4: quit failing, pack up the cameras, and dedicate all resources to reviving the crt industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom