• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Things Could Skyward Sword Have Done Differently?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
First off, this is not a hate thread. I've already done that before and do not plan to do it again. This is a thread to analyze Skyward Sword and things it could've improved upon.

'kay, with that outta the way, onwards with the discussion. What do you think SS could've done differently? I personally thing it could've added many more sidequests, things to do in The Sky, differing Tunics and many more items/potions. A Magic Meter would also be a welcomed substance, in addition to spells and much more aggressive enemies.

Sidequests
Believe it or not, SS DOES have sidequests. However, they're not all that great due to the fact that the majority of them are fetch quests and expanded fetches at that. If the game could've presented quests revolving around things like stealth missions, battling hordes of tough enemies to save someone, or simpler things like defending a carriage a la the Cremia sidequests in Majora's Mask, I think it would be a great boon to the game's playability and replayability.

I mean, think on it a bit. Would you rather have a quest about going to an island, talking to someone, returning the hub, gathering materials then returning back to the island for some measly 5 Gratitude Crystals, or would you rather a quest about going to the Surface, finding a fellow of Skyloft who somehow pierced the Cloud Barrier and is deep trouble of death or otherwise pain due to several Bokoblins being...what they are? I personally would take the latter, because it is much more exhilarating and immersing on Nintendo's part.

The Sky
Yes, the Sky where we travel aloft on our Crimson Loftwing. Remeber the Great Sea in Wind Waker, how there were many an island with naught to do? Well, in the Sky we have few an island with naught to do. I mean, there are bombable crevice with who knows what inside (most like a silver rupee in a chest!), but those are few and far between. This could go along with sidequests, but if there were many more things to do in the Sky, such as battles (though those would be hard to implement, I admit) or...well, more than just finding the occasional chest spawned by a Cube, the Sky would be a better place to be and more enjoying.

Tunics and Items/Potions and Magic Meter/misc
You likely remember the different tunics in Ocarina of Time, the Zora/Magic armors in Twilight Princess, and the three charms of Minish Cap (if not, don't worry – they're great but you probably won't care for them). They allowed us special properties, such as ability to survive in excessive heat, breath underwater, be invincible at the cost of rupees, increased attack power and much more. We even had awesome looks, to boot! Skyward Sword omits these tunics and charms, the basis of which I presume to be of "unimportance and causes lag". Were the game to include tunics and charms, there would be many more collectibles to collect and thus could artificially lengthen game time required for a 100 percent run, and maybe even make it far more epic than it currently is. Artificial length really isn't all that great, I know, but being able to survive heat with just a pair of earrings sounds...ridiculous. A tunic or some fancy armor of some sort makes much more sense.

Items. Items, items, items. We all know what they are to the Zelda series: important. Skyward Sword features a number of equipment items (mitts, shields, bug net, etc), but only eight, count 'em, eight combat centric items. Nintendo could do better than that, and still make them applicable to the game. If I recall correctly, Ocarina of Time featured 10+ items across Young and Adult Link to be used on puzzles. They were neither used too often or too few. Twilight Princess had many more than 10 items, and while they weren't effective to the game, they had fun uses that definitely could've been changed to be more...applicable to the game. Skyward Sword truncates all of that to just eight, alike that of Legend of Zelda (NES). The items of SS undoubtedly are used in many situations. However, their variance is only for the fact that there are eight of them. The game could've done much more, with status effects like "flip foot – being tossed into the air and stunned momentarily", "freeze – frozen, unable to move" and much more. Many more items could've been added and we know for a fact that Nintendo could make them relevant to all of the game.

Magic Meter and misc. This isn't required, but it makes the game much more engrossing. Rewards like the double magic meter aren't exactly important to the general playstyle fo the game, but they provide limitations and fun challenges to be used. Skyward Sword didn't manage to land that, unfortunately, because there are too few items and they are mostly mechanical rather than magical in use. Again, we know that Nintendo could implement a magic bar and make it relevant to the game. If we can get simple upgrades to dowsing by way of story elements, so too can we get upgrades to the magic meter by similar means.

Another things, and this is miscellaneous, are things such as double defense (that upgrade that was forced on us from the beginning of Twilight Princess by way of chainmail, the upgrade at endgame of Ocarina of Time, and other similar situations). Little things like DD, tunics, spells and the like definitely could've found a place in Skyward Sword. For a story to be so centered around magical elements, the game is much more mechanical than one would expect it to be. Yes, earrings giving complete defense to magic is magical, but it isn't alike that of Zora Armor in TP. Something just seems to be missing. Starting off with six hearts makes the game more easier than it needs to be. Three has been the way to go since the series' inception, and while change is sometimes good, six hearts definitely isn't. Had SS had these extra little things, surely the reception would be 11/10 rather than 10/10. (:

Aggressive Enemies
This is nitpicky, I know, but enemies do nothing in this game but block or so it seems. I was walking around in Skyview waiting to be killed, but enemies sit there waiting for me to strike just so they can block that attack...but they don't follow up. It takes a LONG time for them to even strike – if I had my back turned and put the controllers down, a Bokoblin would take approximately 2-3 minutes to kill me, check my figures becuase I know I'm wrong. The problem is that enemies are too lenient on allowing you to attack them, and they don't fight back. I don't want to fight a cinderblock. I want to fight a fellow swordsman who can attack me just like I attack them (a la Dark Link from AoL/OoT). Skyward Sword could've done better than that.

I agree so much with you, especially about the enemies. They're too passive, except the Bokoblin Archers. The problem with enemy diversity is that Nintendo couldn't think how to make every enemy work with motionplus, so they just took them out. Imagine fighting a darknut with an estranged remote control...

Demise

Army Strong
I loved skyward sword and It is probably one of my favorite Zelda games, but I really wish you could go back and fight bosses over.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I loved skyward sword and It is probably one of my favorite Zelda games, but I really wish you could go back and fight bosses over.

You actually can; go to Thunder Dragon and he has a boss challenge and a Silent Realm challenge waiting for you (:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yet another thing I think Nintendo could've done is hidden skills.

They worked so well in TP (at least TPGC), and with Motion Plus, surely they could've expanded upon the swordplay even more. Yes, teh swordplay is amazing. But, at the basis of things we're still just hacking and slashing (lol at everyone who said the game takes strategy). I wonder if we could've got some skills such as "draw on the screen in a QTE (quick time event) to do a certain attack", sort of like how you press a button in Resident Evil 4 during a cutscene to make Leon dodge, or doing the Special Shots in Mario Hoops 3 on 3 [where you tap the screen in a certain pattern]. Hell, QTEs in general would've done well for Skyward Sword, as the game is already proceeding towards the dynamic feel with ingame play, so cutscene motions could work in my opinion.

I agree with you on the Sky. I was so looking excited to exploring the Sky and then.....nothing. I barely searched around, I got too bored. ): Another thing I found was it got a bit repetitive going back to the same 3 areas on the surface. Sure I get it, its cool going past where you couldn't before and oh, look theres a temple you never knew was there! However.....one of the thing I loved about Zelda is you were always moving on to the next Dugeon with a whole new place to explore, and there was a whole new enviroment. It felt fresh. I did like seeing some of the characters again though, especially those Mogmas :)

Exploration. This game got so many things right, and fixed so many flaws with then series - but it killed exploration. Sure there are other things I could complain about, but those are just nitpicks. This game has virtually no way to go off the beaten path, and in a Zelda game that is horribly disappointing. But the game righted so many wrongs that we've seen in the past few games that I can't complain too much. Its just too bad that we're missing out on one of the hallmarks of Zelda this time around.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Yeah I pretty much agree with all of your points too, sidequests could've been more diverse, there should be more to the sky (I expected several islands as big as Skyloft!) And I really want them to bring magic back to the Wii U! And of course more items/tunics.
To add to that, some of the item uses felt a bit too forced upon me, especially the whip and the hookshot. Besides the cool boss battle, the whip was mainly used for reaching handles that are a bit higher or for activating some switches and as a liana/rope replacement, having the handles simply hang lower, switches to step on/slash/shoot and normal ropes hanging down in the places were you had to use the whip wouldn't have made much of a difference game-play wise, the usage felt gimmicky here, there were no creative puzzles with it that stood out. Same for the hookshot, crossing canyons with it wasn't very special, the one from TP was much better because you could extend it to go down further, and this was cleverly used in the City in the Sky of TP (there was this one puzzle where you had to hang down from a room above and then grab onto another chandelier to activate a fan, took me some time to figure that out!). And you had to grab on moving platforms as well as some that dropped down if you waited too long. None of these clever uses were found in SS unfortunately.
Special sword moves besides the standard ones would've been a nice addition too, I liked them in TP.
But I'm a bit hesitant on upping the difficulty much more. I think it was OK, I'd even say it's physically harder than all other 3D Zeldas and also a tad harder than aLttP, but slightly below LoZ.
Imagine having every Bokoblin as strong (or even stronger) as the skeleton miniboss AND having only 3 hearts AND playing hero mode... then you'd have a game compared to which AoL at levels 1-1-1 is a cakewalk! Needless to say that there'd be MASSIVE fan rage!

Some other things I could nitpick about are the following:

Game interrupting messages: The game doesn't need to tell me that I've just collected my 50th Deku bee or my 40th amber relic, I know it by now! This could be fixed very easily: Have a single-line short message without a box on the top or bottom of the screen that says "Got 2 more Deku Bees (49 total)." that stays there for maybe 3-5 seconds but doesn't interrupt your game! It would inform you what you've just collected and how many you have, so you get all your information on the fly. For more information you could still simply call the "1" button menu and see how much other stuff you have. A similar thing are other game interrupting short scenes, for example when you jump on a lily pad and this turns around to open up a new passage that's been previously blocked, the game stands still for about 5 seconds, the camera zooms in and the jingle plays. This could be done much faster too. Or the camera doesn't even have to zoom there, it'd be enough to let the jingle play to inform you that you unlocked something while not interrupting the game.
Bird controls: I don't like how you have to constantly flap the Wiimote every few seconds so that your bird doesn't lose speed. It shouldn't lose speed at all automatically IMO, that's what the B button is for. Sure it may make more sense physically that you have to flap so that you don't stop, but the bird could simply auto-flap to maintain speed and shaking would then only be used to give it a permanent extra speed increment, while the A button would increase speed more, but just for a short period of time. Plus I didn't like how you had to shake the Wiimote, why couldn't you use the nunchuck? It was a bit annoying because the Wiimote is also used for steering, so if you don't move it up/down perfectly then the bird will make a turn which you have to counter afterwards. IMO you should never assign two actions simultaneously to the same button/other input method. It didn't work for the CDi Zelda games and it was a (small) nuisance here too.

But again, those are really not that big things and they don't break the game for me, I'm not done with my full review yet but it's definitely a >9/10 game, I'd say ~9.5/10.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
With everything that was already in Skyward Sword, I think having a magic meter would have been too much. Don't get me wrong, I want magic back in Zelda, but I think Skyward Sword was better off without it. That along with things like aggressive enemies. We already got the motion controls added in, which is a huge step up and a much bigger revolution. Changing too much would just be over the top, don't you think? SS is borderline on that as it is (somewhat). Let the next game bring in some of the other things so that it's that much better.

Anyway, I said this on another thread, and I'm going to say it here. I think Skyward Sword is going to be the Oblivion of the Zelda series. It's an amazing game and the best so far, but there are plenty of quirks and nitpicks about it that could be improved on in the next title. Let's hope Zelda WiiU will do to SS what Skyrim did to Oblivion: improve on every last detail.

Last edited:
With everything that was already in Skyward Sword, I think having a magic meter would have been too much. Don't get me wrong, I want magic back in Zelda, but I think Skyward Sword was better off without it.

Anyway, I said this on another thread, and I'm going to say it here. I think Skyward Sword is going to be the Oblivion of the Zelda series. It's an amazing game and the best so far, but there are plenty of quirks and nitpicks about it that could be improved on in the next title. Let's hope Zelda WiiU will do to SS what Skyrim did to Oblivion: improve on every last detail.

I'd go so far as to say Skyward Sword emphasizes a more mechanical, physical side of Zelda and a magic meter would detract from that.

thereasonbeing

The Floor is Lava
My single gripe with Skyward Sword was I didn't like how when you dived from your Loftwing in the sky and into Skyloft it wasn't seamless. There was no doubt in my mind that that of all things would be a seamless transition, seeing as how many times it would happen during the course of the game. It made the town of Skyloft and the actual sky itself seem a bit disconnected. Same with diving off the island back onto your bird. Jumping off, landing on your bird then waiting for the sky to load, really?? I know the loading time was only a few seconds but it mattered to me because I had already figured it would obviously be a seamless transition. It just seemed obligatory. A similar thing, again, was when diving to the surface. This video from Game Informer seriously mislead me, as it lead us to believe that you could basically run and dive off of Skyloft, land on your Loftwing and fly over a portal and dive to the land below in one seamless slice of gameplay. Here's the vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRg2Qc2UPWk Obviously it was cut to save time, but boy did that video lead me to believe the world would be far more connected than it actually was. The Windwaker pulled this off flawlessly almost 10 years ago. Skyward Sword should have done the same. However, im just making a huge thing out of a pretty small gripe here lol. And i'm sure it's just down to the wii, i'm sure Nintendo wouldn't have made it that way if they didn't absolutely have to.

Last edited:

MW7

Game interrupting messages: The game doesn't need to tell me that I've just collected my 50th Deku bee or my 40th amber relic, I know it by now! This could be fixed very easily: Have a single-line short message without a box on the top or bottom of the screen that says "Got 2 more Deku Bees (49 total)." that stays there for maybe 3-5 seconds but doesn't interrupt your game! It would inform you what you've just collected and how many you have, so you get all your information on the fly. For more information you could still simply call the "1" button menu and see how much other stuff you have. A similar thing are other game interrupting short scenes, for example when you jump on a lily pad and this turns around to open up a new passage that's been previously blocked, the game stands still for about 5 seconds, the camera zooms in and the jingle plays. This could be done much faster too. Or the camera doesn't even have to zoom there, it'd be enough to let the jingle play to inform you that you unlocked something while not interrupting the game.

I'm only a third of the way through the game, and this is driving me crazy. I think the messages play every time you pick up a certain bug/treasure for the first time of a particular play session (might be wrong though). Whoever thought that was a good idea was seriously misguided. Your solution would be way better, but personally I'd just like the item to flash over your head for an instant like a heart or rupee and then disappear without any other recognition. Like you said it's not like you can't just pause the game to see how much of everything you have whenever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom