• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's the story of pamela & her father?

I'd like to start a thread about the sidequest in majora's mask, where pamela and her father are going through a series of struggles, which ends up with link playing the song of healing, to heal the troubled soul of pamela's father and obtain the gibdo mask. Is there a deeper meaning to this sidequest? Also, what is pamela's father doing in the middle of ikana canyon, and why is there pictures, or drawings of gibdos inside the house?

Last edited:

Ikana

Trollkastel
1. This scene was supposed to give you a touching scene of a daughter with her father. Pamela wanted to keep her father away from the Gibdos since they wanted her father. She didn't want to tell her father about him turning into a Gibdo since she didn't want him to think that he could have harmed her but that's what I believe. She just didn't want her father to feel like a monster. I guess she went to the well to see if she could solve the problem why her father turned into a Gibdo. She is quite mature for her age and would have pick up from her father with his research since she lives alone with him.

2. Her father is there to research the stuff that has been going on in Ikana Canyon. He researches ghost and with Ikana being cursed by the skull kid that would make it a perfect place to research. The pictures of the Garo and the Gibdo are his research on those beings, if you ever noticed when you click on them he gives you info on the information he has achieved by researching them. After you heal Ikana from the Curse Pamela will tell you "Once he calms down a bit, I think I'll try convincing him to quit researching in this dangerous place and to go back to town." So its likely that they moved when you completed the main story of the game.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
There really is no deeper meaning to it. They needed a reason to give the Gibdo mask and get through the empty well. Another reason he is there is to give you little bits of info of the Garos and Gibdos. Really there is no other meaning to it. Nintendo is a weird company man.

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
(Hi sorry i took so long to post!!!)
there is a deep meaning. of how much a daughter loves her father and does not want anything to happen to him.
the song of healing reminded him of that when he was "possesed" by the gibdo.

I think it is said somewhere in the game that her father is a scientist and is observing the gibdos to find out how they live, what they do and so on. But he went to deep and got cursed and is turning into a gibdo himself. Link just got in the right time before it was too late and there was still the original human left inside of him. And with the song of healing Link healed her father and he got rid of the curse which is sealed into the gibdo mask.

Fierce

Deity Link
The entire scene is a metaphor, much like the rest of MM. The father represents Link's own parents, both gone from this world. The Gibdo, and many other things he is researching are paranormal, aka things he does not understand. Link does not understand his own parents deaths. Link, like Pamala must lock away the horrible state of his parents in his mind. Like a horrifying Mummy monster, the death of ones parents and never getting to know them is a monster in Link's psyche. Mummy and Papa. Mom and Dad.

The house is surrounded by death, aka Gibdos, just as his life has been surrounded by death. Only by the healing of time does it all go away... The Song of Healing from the Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask is about growing up and maturity in every little facet of the game. Very deep. It is wonderful to see someone looking deeper for the truth behind the truth.

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
The entire scene is a metaphor, much like the rest of MM. The father represents Link's own parents, both gone from this world. The Gibdo, and many other things he is researching are paranormal, aka things he does not understand. Link does not understand his own parents deaths. Link, like Pamala must lock away the horrible state of his parents in his mind. Like a horrifying Mummy monster, the death of ones parents and never getting to know them is a monster in Link's psyche. Mummy and Papa. Mom and Dad.

The house is surrounded by death, aka Gibdos, just as his life has been surrounded by death. Only by the healing of time does it all go away... The Song of Healing from the Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask is about growing up and maturity in every little facet of the game. Very deep. It is wonderful to see someone looking deeper for the truth behind the truth.

amazing.... o_O

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
Yes, there is a point in posting this thread.To share ideas and thoughts on the subject with users of this board.

That's the whole idea with a forum like this. And this thread is not a question, it's a theory on the event with the Gibdo's Mask.

There is really nothing else to say but this, Ultimatium. Pamela's Father was a scientist and after a horrible accident, we was turned into a half-Gibdo. After being healed with the Song of Healing, the gibdo that he has become fell off of him into the form of a Mask. Is it does not necessairly make sense that Link doesn't turn into a half-gibdo when wearing the Mask. Unless of course, the song of healing wore the curse off of the Mask.

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
That's one way of seeing it. However, some of us are able to see things in a much broader perspective. The whole event could just be a mask falling off a guys face. It could just be some random house in the middle of the desert. It could just be some random event in a video game.

... Or, it could be a touching scene meant to demonstrate that the loving bond between a parent and its child will never break, no matter how cruel and horrific the situation looks on the outside. It all comes down to individual preference. Some people likes to play a video game without paying too much attention to the storyline of the game. Some people ( like me ) prefers to reflect on the storyline in order to learn and understand the unique values that these Zelda games contains.

For me personally, Majora's Mask is a goldmine. This game contains a good bunch of mysterious events, just waiting to be rationally explained. The event with Pamela & Father is merely one out of many.

Or, curiosity killed the cat. Being to curious is never a good thing and could lead you to paths that you never intended.

Fierce

Deity Link
That's one way of seeing it. However, some of us are able to see things in a much broader perspective. The whole event could just be a mask falling off a guys face. It could just be some random house in the middle of the desert. It could just be some random event in a video game.

... Or, it could be a touching scene meant to demonstrate that the loving bond between a parent and its child will never break, no matter how cruel and horrific the situation looks on the outside. It all comes down to individual preference. Some people likes to play a video game without paying too much attention to the storyline of the game. Some people ( like me ) prefers to reflect on the storyline in order to learn and understand the unique values that these Zelda games contains.

For me personally, Majora's Mask is a goldmine. This game contains a good bunch of mysterious events, just waiting to be rationally explained. The event with Pamela & Father is merely one out of many.

You're absolutely right. And because of this I believe I should write a topic about this. Giving my analysis, pointing out motifs and such and encouraging others to do the same. Majora's mask used an amount of depth that I've never seen in any other game. If you look at the game through concrete eyes, you lose so much of the experience. The game is by no means an Ocarina. There's a heart beating behind every character and moment.

Edit: Someone just accidentally negative -repped this with positive comment. Oh woe is me. :x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom