• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Term Do You Use for Carbonated Beverages?

Which Term Do You Use?

• Soda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pop

• Coke

• Cola

• Soda Pop

• Fizzy Drink

• Mineral

• Lolly Water

• Seltzer

• Tonic

• Soft Drink

• Other Term

• Total voters

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I live on the edge of the pop-vs-soda line in the northeast (map). I grew up in western PA using "pop" colloquially. Now that I'm in central NY I've caught myself using "soda" a few times. I only use "soft drink" in its proper meaning, referring to the entire category of nonalcoholic beverages - that is, I see it written on menus and understand it as such, but I never say it because I either want pop or something else.

Sadia

Have a Punderful Day!
Here in Canada, literally NO ONE says 'soda' or 'pop'. It sounds really foreign to me... There are three terms. A crush, a coke, or a sprite. That's what you ask for.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I grew up in Chicagoland, so it's pop. But now that I'm in Wisconsin, I hear soda a lot and it's weird.
My sister lives in Wisconsin about halfway between Madison and Milwaukee. Most of it actually uses "pop" like the rest of the Midwest. The main area that uses "soda" is centered around Milwaukee. The further away from Milwaukee you get, the more likely you are to hear "pop" more than "soda".

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
My sister lives in Wisconsin about halfway between Madison and Milwaukee. Most of it actually uses "pop" like the rest of the Midwest. The main area that uses "soda" is centered around Milwaukee. The further away from Milwaukee you get, the more likely you are to hear "pop" more than "soda".

The exception is the West Coast. Everybody says "soda" around here.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The exception is the West Coast. Everybody says "soda" around here.
Yeah, I know, I meant within the state of Wisconsin. It's a small island of soda in the upper midwest, there's a bigger one a ways south of it within maybe 150 or so mile radius of St. Louis. The other major hubs are, of course, where you are, and in New England.

I'm working about 35 minutes south of Milwaukee, and a lot of my new friends are also in Milwaukee.

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
Growing up in Malaysia, I've always called them "air berkarbonat" (carbonated water), "air gas" (gassy water) or just by the brand. I normally go by the brand, though, or just soft drinks.

Beeker

Wild Card
As a Canadian, I've always called it pop. I do hear other terms from time to time, but most of the time it's pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom