• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Speaks Louder: Actions or Words?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
We've all heard that famous quote before:

"Actions speak louder than words."

But is that really true? Do actions truly speak louder than words? Sure, body language, posture and other physical movements can tell a lot about a person, but what about word choice? The words people choose to say, how loud they speak, their tone of voice and the amount of slang and profanity someone uses can really tell a lot about them; however, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Therefore, which speaks the loudest to you: actions or words? Why does one speak louder to you than the other? Discuss.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I think inaction and action speak louder then words. However words can do more damage then action if you know how to use them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Neither. The effects of words and actions depend entirely on context. I can say "I want to eat you" and that could mean a crap ton of things. It isn't the fact that I said it, but how the words can be twisted. Similarly, I could go eat someone's arm and that could mean a lot of things as well. :I

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
In terms of positive words/actions, the actions tend to speak more than words. Because we are wired not to buy into compliments and praise the way we do critisism and insults. So for a positive thing to make an impact on us, it needs extra effort behind it and that effort needs to really show.

In terms of negative things, I will actually say that words tend to speak louder than actions. Words hurt more and the hurt lasts longer. Like with bullying (which I have a lot of experience with), physical bullying is mostly in the moment, the effect tend to last as long as it takes for the bruises to heal (not always, of course). Psycological bullying can leave scars that take years to heal, if they heal at all. My personal experience is that the kicks and punches hurt in the moment, but didn't really follow me when I left the school, the words followed me for years and the damage they did hit me more a few years later than back when they were said.

So I say it depends if it's positive words vs actions, or if it's negative words vs actions.

Last edited:

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
though words can hurt deeply I believe actions speak volumes.. you can say anything you like to say, either to hurt or encourage all you like but until you chow them that you mean what you say then your words are really lighter than air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom