• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Sense Would You Forfeit?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I started a conversation with my friend the other day that we talked about for a while.
Which of the five senses would you give up if you had to? Sight, Hearing, Taste, Smell or Touch?
No regular person would deny sight or hearing, but we argued about giving up either taste or touch. With no touch, you feel no pain. You may still die or be injured, but feel nothing. With a lack of taste, dieting would be easy. No foods encourage a food addiction.

Which would you give up and why?

Nicole

luke is my wife
Actually, I've had a similar debate (with myself) about this. I definitely would not give up my sense of sight or hearing. I considered giving up smell, but I won't for selfish reasons (meaning I like to smell certain smells/people. Some body fragrances smell REALLY good). Also, if you were to give up your sense of smell, you'd lose your sense of taste, too (if you don't believe me, click here), so it's moot. These are the same reasons I wouldn't give up my sense of touch. For one thing, it would be very dangerous to not be able to feel pain. If you had an affliction and you didn't know it because you could not feel pain, and it spread or worsened, well... you get the picture. Additionally, there are things I would like to be able to touch in the future and I'd be pretty sad if I didn't have the chance to do so. So in the end, I would give up my sense of taste. Yeah, I would miss certain tastes, but it might not be so bad. I'd be able to convert to a health-food nut and be able to stomach all the veggies easily. =D

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd probably go with taste. Main reason being that for some reason, I'm a very picky eater. It might have something to do with me smashing my head as hard as I could off of the wall or floor when I got mad. I would miss the taste of pizza, though.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I would forfeit sight because I can hear my way through life. Also I wouldn't lose smell due to the same reason as Nicole. Hearing would be helpful and I love music and sounds, so that would suck. Touch, yeah, don't need to explain that.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
I have had this debate with my girlfriend all the time! xD
But personally, I'd lose my sense of taste. Though I love food and such, it would be horrible to miss the taste of italian food. But with out touch? You wouldn't know if you were doing something right on an instrument, such as guitar and Saxophone. I love my music, so I couldn't lose that! Also, kissing, and other things of that manner would be horrid because you would feel NOTHING!

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I would say that I forfeit really easy. I hate confrontation even if I know I'm right. I just let it go. I'm not that stubborn and don't like dealing with it.

Alrighty then. I sometimes think about this but this thread will finally give me an opportunity to formalize my reply to this topic. Sight is possibly the most needed sense in the modern world in school, work, and home with hearing in a close second therefore making those definite a definite "No". Touch is also a major sense seeing as how many bodily functions would be cut off do to losing it. That leaves taste and smell. Neither sense is too essential, however, forfeiting the sense of smell may actually have the most benefit. I'm not too educated on this topic so it would be great if someone could inform me of a possible misconception but if I'm correct poisonous fumes would not have as large of an effect on the organism with olfaction no longer functioning.

guapo2003 said:
I would say that I forfeit really easy. I hate confrontation even if I know I'm right. I just let it go. I'm not that stubborn and don't like dealing with it.

I'm sorry but did you even read the OP? This is not what this thread is about at all. :/

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Okay so I've wondered this a long time myself and I finally came to a conclusion (I think...).

I was debating sight but there's so much to see in this world and I could never give up on it.

Touch.....well Nicole stated it best so I won't rehash it.

I love music. LOVE. L-O-V-E. So much that I'm working on a band. Losing my hearing would suck cause I would never hear music.

I thought maybe taste but then food would be completely bland. Not to mention I'd inadvertently loose my sense of smell too since smell is sensed by tasting particles that have been inhaled through the nose or mouth. Most everyone here should understand the science here.

This leaves me with one left. Smell. If I loose smell I'll still taste. The only difference is that I'll have only basic tastes of sweet, sour, salty, savory, and bitter. But those are better than no taste.

So in the end, like I said it would be smell to give up for me.

@guapo2003 - What're you talkin about?!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Sense of taste as well. That seems the most useless to me. Just think about it. A lot of people are averted to certain flavors, even though they'd like to enjoy them for themselves. Could be for nutritious reasons or the sake of trying something new for the texture (even though they usually go for the savoriness :eek:h:). Overall, if you can't taste the food then you don't have to worry about what you eat. That in mind I could eat all the healthy and wholesome that I'm typically averted to, such as all seafood and brusselsprouts, though they're supposed to do wonders for your body. Conversely, I could also eat sweets that are too strong for me to handle, such as the icing off certain cakes. Even if that'd be the opposite of my initial example, I'd get used to it, I'm sure. :P

Rachel

be vigitant
I already lack a sense of smell, and would not give up hearing or sight. Pain, even though it's, well, painful, is crucial to survival. It's essentially a way the body lets you know there is something wrong, among other things as well. I might give up taste, as I'm guilty of avoiding certain foods with tastes that I dislike. To experience taste before, but then to have it taken away, would, however, be disappointing.

I would probably forfeit scent. I mean, its useful to smell a gasoline leak in a house & perfume & all that, but it hasnt been incredibly useful to me? Sight & Sound are very important, because without them, I CANT PLAY VIDEO GAMES...& other important things. Touch is good, otherwise you'd be completely numb & would be able to feel if you're in pain or in bliss. I love food too much to give away taste.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I'd give up My seventh sense and use the stat points to boost my sixth sense. :P

If I gave up any sense my body would boost the other four.

If I was blind, My hearing, smell, touch, and taste would improve. But there are too many pretty things to enjoy in life.
If I was deaf, the other four senses would be sharper. But I wouldn't get to enjoy pleasant sounds.
If I couldn't feel anything, My other senses would be sharper there as well. But I wouldn't get to feel soft fur of animals or other items
If I couldn't taste, well I'd be out two senses because smell is a part of taste. I wouldn't get to enjoy any foods or aromas.
If I couldn't smell, Food would be bland and no other aromas could be enjoyed.

I guess I wouldn't want to lose any of them, as Life wouldn't be as great with out them. (plus each give us warning signs to help us avoid danger)
If I had to choose, I'd give up sight. There are too many things that would be better off unseen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom