• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What popular or critically acclaimed game(s) do you dislike?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
This is a question I've had on my mind for a while now, especially since I've gotten back into the Zelda series recently (took a lengthy break after I put in 130+ hours into BotW). There are games that are generally recognized as being great, amazing, or even the best of all time (Super Mario 64, FFVII, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 2, Metroid Prime, etc.), but I'm sure there are some who either don't love or genuinely dislike some of these games.

For me, it's Ocarina of TIme. I've played it, beaten it, and it just didn't do anything for me. I can recognize how incredible it was for its time (haha), but there is essentially nothing that it does that later Zelda games didn't do better. The story is okay, the gameplay is fairly clunky and tedious (even on 3DS), and the dungeons are some of my least favorite in the 3D titles. While I don't have the advantage of having played this when it first came out, I also don't have nostalgia to blind me from its faults. It's just not a game that I particularly liked or enjoyed as much as most have.

So, what game(s) have you had this kind of experience with? Where you saw the hype, read the reviews, heard it be lauded as an experience to beat all others and expected to have a great time, but just didn't?

*deep breath*

Final Fantasy XV, Xenoblade series, Assassin's Creed series, God of War series, Horizon Zero Dawn, Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted series, Life Is Strange, The Last of Us, Pokemon (since gen 2), Bloodborne, Skyrim, Fallout series, Metal Gear Solid series, Mass Effect series , Overwatch

And GTA (I like driving around but I don't like the characters, story or doing the missions etc)

There's definitely more (I have a reputation of 'not liking anything') but they're not coming to mind just now.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I had the same thoughts for ocarina when I initially played it, I've grown a bit more fond of it over time (slaps knee) but I'd still take any other 3d zelda game over it any day of the week, even minish cap

though the game that jumps out to me for this is Uncharted, I've only played the first game but I have little desire to ever return to the series, it just did nothing for me overall, I'm surprised I even finished it

MW7

I played Fallout 3 for about 10 hours and stopped entirely. I found it kind of exhausting to play. I played Earthbound for about 5 hours and quit. I might go back to that eventually but wasn't loving it. I wanted to play through as many games on the SNES Classic as I could. For some reason some RPGs click with me and others don't. I absolutely loved Super Mario RPG when I played it for the first time 2 years ago.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I played Earthbound for about two hours and couldn’t get into it. I’ve heard about some later parts and they sound great, I just need to push through the first part.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game I truly detest and I find it awful from every standpoint you can think of; thematics, gameplay, story, aestheitcs, you name it. I hate it all.

Skyrim is really dull, as well. The gameplay, especially the combat, is dreadfully stiff and not fun at all. It's not even fun to explore. The story is dumb and full of dumb characters. And the visuals are drab and forgettable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom