• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What past title would you like the game to take inspiration from?

Breath of the Wild's main inspiration was the original title for the NES: Being free to go wherever the player wants to go and handle whatever situation in your own way.

However, the original title isn't the only game I think people enjoy. So let's imagine if one of us were in the development team and we look more into the past for ideas. What game would you choose as inspiration?

I can never guess what mad gameplay mechanics and themes a Zelda game will use (did we ever expect mechs in BotW until we saw them?)

So as far as inspiration goes for the next one i can only talk visually. After seeing Zelda in Smash Bros Ultimate and how fantastic she looks I'd like Zelda Switch to take inspiration from the classic Zelda games such as ALttP for the designs of its characters.

I know BotW's big thing was change. But we can still have change and having things looking classic. So I'd love another BotW that looked like a traditional Zelda such as ALttP.

Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land

I'm serious. Tingle as a character is a disgusting abomination of an abortion. However the game has some very unique concepts to it. Like having no hearts or health. All you have is rupees. Rupees are your currency for the shops and also what you win and lose in battle. You literally have to use some money in every battle. So how often and who you fight as well as when you go shopping matters. Run out of rupees and game over.
The game does other things really well too.

Twilight Princess for sure. People kept comparing it to OoT like it was a bad thing but it was a game that regenerated OoT's ideas and made them better. TP is also an amazing game on it's own. The combat is so satisfying, riding Epona is fun and doesn't feel like a chore, each dungeon is eccentrically beautiful and each are so unique on their own, there's backstory and emotion put into your companion, the music score is amazing, etc. Like DarkestLink said, don't focus on how things can be different, focus on making them better - this is exactly what TP did and it's exactly what Nintendo can and should do again.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Either Ocarina of Time for obvious reasons, or A Link Between Worlds. ALBW managed to be a game that was non-linear and littered with secrets while still giving players everything necessary to find those secrets without using the internet (notably the Mai Mai things). BoTW did this too, but I like ALBW better personally, and I would like it to see more representation.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I don't think it should take inspiriation from past titles unless it's a direct sequel/descendant of said game, if the series is moving on a new track (as BOTW seems to indicate) then perhaps it's time to stop relying on a nostalgia trip for sales.

That being said i'd like to see something of TPs art design in the next game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom