• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What other past Zelda title should BotW2 draw inspiration from?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
With the first Breath of the Wild, Aonuma and his team talked a lot about how they went back to their roots with Zelda 1, in terms of introducing a seamless open world you could explore in any direction.

The art style also was born out of the experience the team earned from working with Wind Waker HD.

If there was any other Zelda game you would like them to look back upon and draw some inspiration and elements from, what Zelda game would you pick?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It's quite clear that BoTW is inspired by Skyrim which is why it feels more like that than Zelda sometimes.

In terms of Zelda they should definitely draw inspiration from Majora's Mask this time. BoTW had no sense of urgency and impending doom. The threat was said to have been there but I certainly as a player never felt it. I'm not saying introduce a calamity clock or anything but exploring the emotional side of secondary and main characters as a result of impending doom and giving the story of the game a more focused and urgent feel I think that would be of great benefit.

It might seem odd, but I'm actually gettiing Dragon Age vibes from that teaser. The dark underground roads with hidden secrets looks like the Deep Roads. The mummified Ganondorf reminds me of Andraste/Mythal in the new DA teaser, and Link's glowing hand seems reminiscent of the Inquisitors Anchor.

I think it should take from TP's darker story and MM twisted tale since that's the feeling I'm getting from the vid.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
There are plenty of games I'd like Breath of the Wild 2 to draw from, but none of them are Zelda games.

For its quests, BotW2 should look to The Witcher 3. Few games offer sidequests as well-written or meaningful as those in Witcher 3. It's easy to stumble across a narrative just as strong as that of the main quest just by working your way through sidequests. Said quests (and I don't say this lightly, given the name of the forum) put those in Majora's Mask to shame.

The other series it should pull more inspiration from is Dark Souls. Until the release of Breath of the Wild, the original Dark Souls was not only a better Zelda game than its closest competitors, but a better Zelda game by a significant margin. It was a game about being in a vast, dangerous world that was at best indifferent to the player and at worst openly hostile.

Rather than offer a character who just tells you where you to go every time you cough, it uses landmarks and a funnel-like level design to bring the player closer to their goal without saying a thing, all while leaving in the sense of adventure that Zelda casually threw out the window several games ago.

Chaosdrako

Open creative idealistic writer
Honestly, how about Ocarina of Time? Like maybe an artifact similar to the ocarina, but they can't change the past. Maybe experience past events like they are echoes from the past. Maybe the possibility of retrieving information and items, just not change it. Like how we needed to enter the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess.
This artifact that generates these echoes may help us (the players) experience and learn what happened during the calamity.

I think it should take inspiration from Zelda II The Adventure of Link and the bulk of the game should take place in that large mountain that wraps around Hyrule. I think it should feel like a 3D version of Zelda II to an extent just like Breath of the Wild with The Legend of Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom