• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Order to Show Star Wars?

MW7

I have been re-watching all the Star Wars movies lately. My sister is starting to show them to her kids so I was watching with them. This got me thinking about what order to show the next generation of kids the Star Wars movies. I wonder what order I would show my future kids the movies.

When I was a kid there was no choice since the prequels didn't exist, but now I kind of see reasons to watch one trilogy or the other first. The sequel trilogy is generally seen as superior, and I think they do a much better job introducing and explaining things like the force. However, the prequels may be more accessible to younger viewers because of the more modern feel and special effects. I think it would be very interesting to watch in chronological order for the first viewing. However, I would guess most people would say they would show kids the sequel trilogy first because of the quality of the films and more accessible plot lines and characters (i.e. less politics and Jar Jar and more action and ewoks).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd prefer them to see 1 2 3 4 5 6 in that order. Though the original trilogy apparently is the better one, I too think that the prequel trilogy is much more appropriate for this generation of movie watchers.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
You have to show the original first. Otherwise the whole "No, I am your father" reveal wouldn't have the same meaning. Besides, the prequels were intended to explain the original; even though they didn't do it as well as one would have wanted, they should be watched to explain, not to prelude.

I was one of those kids that saw it chronologically, not by release, and that is one of my greatest regrets (I clearly don't have many regrets). I will redeem myself/my father by showing my future children the movies in release order (unless the sequel trilogy is better, then I'll show that after VI).

Hanyou

didn't build that
The original trilogy is far superior to the prequel trilogy, so I can't imagine why anyone would want all those classic moments ruined by the mediocre prequels.

As far as which is more accessible/better... I think there's a strong possibility children will be more entertained by the prequels. When I was growing up, Return of the Jedi was my favorite Star Wars movie. Now, it's quite evident to me that while it's passable, it's mostly riding on the strength of it's predecessors; it's much more poorly-acted and phoned in than either the first or second film, and while it has some great action set pieces, it never reaches the heights of either film either as a popcorn movie or drama (though I do think the Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes are some of the finest in the series).

All of that said, Return of the Jedi is now my least favorite of the originals, and The Empire Strikes Back, which I once found boring, has become my favorite. What you need to keep in mind is not what will entertain the kids now, but the images they will carry with them afterward.

I can come up with other examples of newer movies that don't quite match up to their predecessors. I don't think it's good to introduce anyone to King Kong with Peter Jackson's overwrought, noisy version. I saw it before seeing the far superior original, and while the quality of the original wasn't affected for me, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen Jackson's version first. Likewise, Prometheus, which actually is a prequel, is a poor introduction to the Alien universe. Either Alien or Aliens would be far better. On the other hand, I think John Carpenter's The Thing and the remake of The Fly are superior to the originals, and also have their own identity, so they're great places to start.

The prequels are so tonally inconsistent with the originals, and so poor in quality by comparison, that perhaps it will have no effect. But I can't imagine Darth Vader having nearly as much gravity as a villain if his first appearance in the original film is prefaced with Hayden Christensen's incessant whining--nor can I imagine the tragedy of his fall to the dark side having nearly as much of an effect if we know how horrible Anakin was all along.

Nah. There are two main things that make Star Wars great: the thrills (which are tops throughout the original trilogy, with well-choreographed fights and space battles) and drama (again, great even in the flawed Return of the Jedi, with one thing logically leading to another as the intriguing family drama unfolds). The prequels are so confusing and chaotic by comparison that even I, who was familiar with the original trilogy for six years before seeing Episode I, found a marathon of all six movies mind-numbingly difficult.

This isn't Power Rangers you're talking about--it's a cultural milestone. Let them get the proper introduction to the Star Wars universe, then they can find whatever childlike delight they want in the prequels.

I'd prefer them to see 1 2 3 4 5 6 in that order. Though the original trilogy apparently is the better one, I too think that the prequel trilogy is much more appropriate for this generation of movie watchers.

Out of curiosity, why? By extension, I should prefer Peter Jackson's King Kong to the original, or Prometheus to the original Alien (which was released a full seven years before I was born). But I don't. I prefer the classics not just because they're classics, but because they seem much more well-made. Likewise, Star Wars: Episode I was released while I was still a kid (I was only 13), but my first reaction to it was that it was terrible. It wasn't for my generation, and I'm not sure it's really for any generation.

Salem

SICK
Show them the original trilogy first and don't show them the prequels, or show later.

4,5 and 6. then later show them the prequels. thats so they wont think starwars is some kiddy movie after seeing the Phantom menace.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Honestly, the best way to watch for a first-timer is the original trilogy, and then, if they enjoyed the originals, the prequel trilogy. But, if you're a seasoned Star Wars veteran, there is some significant benefit to be found in experimenting with the order. I think my preferred order from a storytelling standpoint is to watch them in the following order:

1. Episode IV: A New Hope
2. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
3. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
4. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
5. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Yeah, it's the Machete Order, and it is actually a substantial improvement over chronological order. This way, it sets up the conflict between the Rebels and the Empire, then returns to revisit the rise of the Empire and the story of Anakin Skywalker while still preserving the reveal that Darth Vader is Luke's father, as well as grouping the three most significant films that deal with Anakin's character together for sequential viewing.

It's really a wonderful revision, and though it involves skipping over The Phantom Menace, a film that I find rather enjoyable, doing so does strike the frustrating Jar-Jar Binks, midichlorians, and the film's entirely inconsequential plot from the series, making it leaner and more focused. I recommend it to any Star Wars fans.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i'll flip a coin
but it doesn't matter to me which order my kids will watch it as long as they like it [and being a star wars fanatic,they had better fall in love w/ those films :devil:]

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I used to like RotJ the best too but after watching the original series again I found it rather cheesy and I like ESB way better now. Hmmm there is a chance kids might get bored after watching 1,2 and 3 so I would suggest start with the original ones. These are the best and made many people diehard fans. When I was a kid there was only ANH and ESB and later in 1983 there was this huge RotJ hype even though most people considered ESB still the best. So yeah start with the original ones and then if you're up to it go for 1,2 and 3

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Can we just skip tPM? I watched it and felt nauseous. Honestly the prequels were a nice idea in theory, in practice they were so... bad that they could be weaponized.

Plus ANH was originally a standalone, so there's not much of a need for a prequel. They could have worked, if there wasn't a very 2-dimensional romance hastily glued on.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
If you are going to watch all six then I'd say to do it in a chronological in-series order. Of course it was never really meant to be that way as the prequels were released after the original trilogy; however, I think it's just best to say in line with continuity and whatnot.

Though I've watched them in that order before and the only significance that the prequels had on the 3 latter titles was the ending to Revenge of the Sith as this set up Darth Vader's origins and makes the whole arc easier to understand especially during Return of the Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom